• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Border Crossing in the BWCA

While Canada is on the table, I have the following question:
I'm planning a BWCA trip, and will be going from the US side of Lac La Croix into the US side of Iron lake by way of Bottle lake. I'd like to use a portage into Bottle that is just over the Canadian border. I wouldn't camp or fish in Canada,just briefly cross the border to use the portage. Do I need a Canadian permit for this?
Thanks in advance guys!

The border route portages are open for citizens of both countries without special permits. Bottle, Basswood River, etc. are fair game - just don't be fishing or camping where you shouldn't.

What do they do if you camp or fish in Canada with out a permit?

------------------
Get the Net!!

It really depends on the severity of the offense(s). Best scenario is a scolding, and is usually reserved only for the ones the rangers determine are to inept or stupid to bother with. Worst scenario includes a plane trip to visit the judge in the nearest town, and can be quite expensive.

Some fellows were nabbed over near the Gunflint last year - they had set up camp and were fishing in Canada without any proper permits. I don't recall the particulars, but they paid heavily in terms of $$$.

The park is patrolled both by paddling crews and by air on a regular basis. Most of the checking is done by the paddling crews - unless they spot something more than they feel they can handle, in which case air support is called in. These people aren't bad, or mean, or out to get you necessarily - but they have a job to do and most seem to take it seriously.

Why don't you just get a RABC permit and an Ontario fishing license before you go? Just google RABC and you'll find a link to Citizen and Immigration Canada where you can get all the details and download the form. You can buy Ontario fishing licenses over the phone, as I do. There is a place called Walt's in Atikokan who I buy them from. There may also be many others, but I don't know their names.

Don't forget the watercraft permit. I usually buy a yearly permit for my canoe. The permit thing comes down to money - the Canadians want their fee paid for use of their park. You can buy them daily from a ranger station or do the yearly thing like I do.
If you are checked, the odds are you will be talking to Park officials - who are concerned about the boat permit and fishing license. I've heard of Customs (that's what the RABC is for) checking out in Voyageurs Park area, but haven't had any reports of them checking in the Quetico area.
I know for a fact that there are a lot of tourists who decide to skip over to Warrior Hill on La Croix or check out Rebecca Falls without proper permitting - but in my book that is just asking for trouble.
Best and most funny story was a couple of Canadian rangers who were really grilling us and going through our stuff on the portage out of Bayley Bay into Sunday one morning. These two were surly as could be, and seemed almost frantic to find something wrong. Along comes three canoes of young fellows, who pull up and ask if they could get a towboat back to Moose Lake pretty easily. These poor slobs thought they were at Prairie Portage!!! The rangers pounced like a cat on a yarn ball - but after a couple of minutes finally got out a map and showed the fellows where they were. We all sat there chuckling - and finally the rangers let them go. Guess that group fell into the "too inept or stupid to bother with" category.