• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

slot limit - different lakes

fishing 101

What do you do if you fish on a lake that does not have a slot, and then later you go to a different lake that the slot is 16-18". I have a legal 15" in the live well from the previous lake, but when going to the next lake, it is now illegal. If I keep it in the truck, and the warden asks about it, how do you prove it.

It is illegal to transpot live fish. The second you pull out of the lake you are illegal.

Slot or no slot.

W/ the push toward preventing the spread of exotics, they will likely be more upset about transporting fish than they will about breaking the slot.

IMO, I dont keep many fish. But when I do, it isnt worth the hassel to clean just one. If it is in good shape, let it go before heading to the next lake.

Thanks for the reply Dave, but I also do not keep a fish if I only have one - not worth my time, but I don't think that you understood my question. If I am staying at a resort and drive to a lake - say 10 miles away. Catch a few fish at 15", then on the way back to the cabin, stop at a different lake 5 miles away. I throw the fish in a bucket. Is the game warden going to have a problem with the slot limit if the second lake has a 16" minimum?

(Never mind the dead or alive issue. I am not concerned about that.) This question is just to try and resolve an argument with my father in-law.

I would keep a cooler and ice in the truck and toss the fish in there. Thats your safest bet.

Ah,,,,
The old Father-in-law argument. Gotta love those.
I would go right to the DNR with that question.
[email protected]
or
651-296-6157(and ask to speak with someone from the CO office)

PS - I think people are missing the real question. He is asking if the CO will give him grief for having fish under the legal size while at the second lake. I am sure its fine, but you never know how a CO may perceive your under sized fish in that cooler. He may question if you got them on that second lake, and dumped them off in the cooler. Personally, I think you would be just fine with the fish on ice in the truck, but who knows what the real law may state in this regard.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 07-08-2004).]

I have a feeling that they would tell you that you cannot have fish on a lake that are not in a harvest slot-live or dead.

If you say that you got them at a different lake, that is not suffcient.

To be legal, you would need to clean the fish (leaving the ever important patch of skin so they can tell a sunny from a walleye) and store them in your possession-but not your boat.

Dave B
You mention on the lake again.

What about in the truck at the ramp? Thats the question he is wanting answered.
Or is that what you are actually saying?

The DNR is the place to go.

Funny how many loops there are in so many different regs when you start to really look at them.

Heres 1 that should answer this ?...Last winter we fished several lakes in a weeks vacation..1 day we fished 2 lakes with slot sizes that were same on top end but not on the lower end..Had the fish in a cooler in truck gutted from 1st lake..when we were done fishing the other lake we loaded sleds up..get in truck..dnr shows up...searches cooler...only reason we did not get a ticket was he checked us 4 hours before on the other lake when we left..Call it lucky..so no you can not even have 1 in possesion under or over the lake your at even if it came from another lake..after reading the rules posted in fine print at the landing it did say that ..now i know for a fact that all those rules are not always posted when you arrive since weather and people take them down from time to time..

If you search outdoor news this topic had 1 whole page last winter..2 guys fishing red lake get busted for sauger and walleye...fish were cleaned with skin attached left in truck..after a mid day outing on red lake the fishermen returned to truck warden did a search...no fish on thm at this point..note the warden had watched them most of the afternoon fishing..fishermen never returned 1 time to the truck until they were done...ticket was issued..fishermen took it to court showed pictures from lake of the woods with fish and lost..1st of all i dont think red lake offers sauger..but on the other hand you cant miss the rules at the access..

Well I hate to admit this, but if you guys are right, I have to say the out-law - I mean "in-law" might have been right. I argued that if it is in a cooler in the truck, that should be legal. If it is not with you in the boat, that should be OK, as long as you don't go over your daily limit. By doing this, you followed the rules, but there is such a gray area. I will contact the DNR and let you guys know. But it won't be until Monday, so if you feel like it, you may check and post before me. What I guy won't do to prove the father in-law wrong....

Ya, the DNR is the best place to go to make sure you get the right answer, but if it were me and I didnt know, I wouldnt do it because there is no way to prove that you caught it in the other lake. I dont believe you can go fish on a slot limit lake if you have fish in your possesion that are not within the slot. You probably have to bring them home first, it makes the DNRs job easier.

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad