• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lifejackets!

last weekend it finally happened! one slight mis-step and lost my balance, fell into the lake out of my boat. i wasn't wearing my lifejacket. i never do, unless in a tourney where it is mandatory. it's stuffed under the console where i keep it from flying out of the boat by putting my feet on it. this time it was no big deal since the water has warmed up and i was fishing with my dad who helped me back in. however this did get me thinking.

what if:
1. the water was ice cold
2. i bang my head on the boat as i go in
3. i am on the river in faster current and get swept away from the boat.

i suppose i could go on, but i guess you get the picture.

also i never keep my cell phone in my pocket when fishing for this very reason. however, this time it was raining while i was fishing and i put it in my pocket for protection. now my phone is messed up.

so i guess i am thinking of wearing a lifejacket from now on and keeping my phone in a plastic bag.

lets take a survey, vote 1, 2 or 3

1. i wear my lifejacket at ALL TIMES
2. i wear my lifejacket only when the big motor is fired up
3. i have my lifejacket in the boat, only because i have to

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

I would go with # 3 with an asterisk*

If the weather gets rough, I'll put it on, if you need a seat cushion, it's good, if you have a kid, or your woman in the boat, they should have it on. If it gets cold and you don't have enough clothes on, I'll put it on, if I forgot the rain gear and it starts to rain, I'll put it on. In unfamiliar waters where I have to go a long ways, I'll put it on.

Last but not least...If I'm on Minnetonka, a favorite lake of mine, I'll wear two of them and a ski belt, just so I don't cross the water patrol!

I think the last time I wore my life jacket was at the store trying it on before I bought it. I just ordered one of the SOSpenders deals hoping that I will wear it more often.

I only wear my lifejacket when it's bad out.
I should wear it all the time because i'm not much of a swimmer. Makes me think, thanks sami.

------------------
great fishing to all

I for the most part only wear it if I'm fishing alone or if it's cold. Helps keep the heat in.

Wally

#1 all the time,....

which, oddly enough, is the the reverse of what I do w/ seat belts - I hate them things.

UG

Count me as a number 1 for two reasons:
a) I'm not a very good swimmer and you listed a number of scenarios - hit your head or drift away from the boat where it would help to have it on
B) many years ago, maybe 20, my dad and brother in law were fishing in a small rental boat, my Dad had a bad knee so he was using a lawn chair, ended up almost falling in, but grabbed the side of the boat, stayed in the boat but ended up filling with water, down the boat went! Neither of them could swim BUT THEY BOTH HAD LIFE JACKETS ON!! Thirty minutes later the deputy fished them out. Without life jackets we wouldn't have had their company for the last 20 years. That story - the fact that they couldn't swim yet the life jackets kept them up - impressed me enought that I always wear my life jacket. I know it 'doesn't look cool' to have it on but with new sterns jackets you hardly notice that you have it on. I wear mine, it does no good on your seat when you're in the water.

I’m gonna switch from a 3 to a 2. In cold weather I am a number 1.

Grebe,

Why should your woman or kid have to wear it but not you?

I saw a couple in a 16 foot fiberglass outboard on Tonka on June 29th. This as you remember was the first really nice day of the summer and Tonka was loaded with boats. What I could not believe was that the woman had a toddler on her lap (3-5 months old) and none of them had life jackets on. Those parents should be shot on the spot. I am not against babies in the boat by any means but how could you not put a life jacket on a person that has no ability to survive in the water?

#1, cause all I have is a canoe. Even so, I expect to be #1 when I get a boat, my pfd has the mesh shoulders and is very comfortable.

I too had a similar incident early this year. While crappie fishing in 4' of water I hooked a bass and while reaching down to land it lost my balance and Kerplunk in I went. The water temp was only in the low 50's and I think I set a record for getting back into the Crestliner! Managed to hold onto the rod and fish as well. Although I remain a 3 I quickly become a 2 or 1 when conditions dictate. I'm also far less cocky when walking near the edge!

I'm a 1. I made a promise to my wife a long time ago to always wear it.

Last week while staying at a resort she convinced me to take a swim with her in the pool. I hadn't been swimming in years.

It scared me and her how bad I was at it.

Not wearing it for me would be a death sentence if I went in.

I am a 3 unless in a tournament or if it gets rough out. I also and this may seem dumb but i wrap that little cord on my hand when at full throttle so if i were to some how get thrown over the engine would be cut off. Heard of one guys steering cable breaking and was thrown out of the boat and managed to grab the throttle as he was goin over. Reading all of this sure makes a guy wonder how luck some of us are!

I'm a-
#1 During Spring & Fall (Coldwater Temps)
#2 In the Summer months when not under power

Then I'm always a #1 now with the Kids aboard because they are wearing them & they can't get home without a DAD.

Stay Safe!

Chris

------------------
"I fish there for I am!"

[This message has been edited by SportFishin' (edited 07-07-2004).]

I have a new two month old baby girl and have a question. What is the smallest lifejacket for a baby? At Fleet Farm, the smallest I saw was for 20 pounds. She already has a little fishing rod and wants to go catch some fish.

I'm a #1.But I have to admit it's only because my 4yr old son makes me.

------------------
Greg

3* I wear mine when it is rough out there or on unfamiliar water.

As a sidenote saw the funniest darn thing this weekend fella was in a 14' aluminum no motor and was pulling his anchor up when his hand slipped and a$$ over teakettle he went. It was all I could do not to laugh hysterically at him. I did manage to make sure he was ok. Funny enough he was wearing a life vest. He was able to flip the boat back over climb in and row to shore with it 90% filled with water . . . I felt bad for the guy but he was so embarassed he wouldn't accept any help.

Mepster - you crack me up! "has a pole and wants to go fishing" at two months? I suspect DAD is the driver here! LOL!

I think 20 lbs is the smallest you'll find. Make sure they have the strap(s) that go between their legs at this stage. Mine just got beyond that at around 40-50 lbs but I'm still not overly confident with their new jackets.

They didn't really care for fishing until age 3 and 4 and then you gotta find some sunnies for them QUICK or you'll lose 'em! Plenty of snacks to play with also helps but you're really a aways away from that yet!

I'm a three, but will be thinking more about moving to two - maybe one of those inflateables. I swim pretty well, but not very well when knocked out wink.gif

I'll take #3. Several years ago I turtled my sailboat, I had no life jacket on. Oh it was in the cuddy but not on me. After retrieving all my gear that was sinking and tossing a line over the centerboard(the hull was too slick to climb without a rope to pull myself up) I put on my life jacket to take a break. Once I got my boat righted, I took off the jacket and bailed and sailed back.
God lyk!

#3 There was a young man on german lake that died in june, his seat broke, tip over and hit his head on the boat as he fell into the water. he died from drowning, may have lived if his lungs didnt fill with water. it all happens in a heatbeat...

If you're on the lake often and constantly reaching over the transom or side of your boat, get the S.O.S. Spenders. It's a no brainer! You don't even remember their on.

Just like a pilot, an avid boater will eventually experience a "moment" that will or can kill you. It will happen. When it does, your wife, kids and parents will be greatful for not ever having to hear of your untimley death.

[This message has been edited by SuddenlySummer (edited 07-08-2004).]

Giant-Jackpot...Because the woman and the kid are in my boat and they are my responsibility.

In an emergency situation, if it occured, it would be one less thing to worry about!

As for myself, like I said, sometimes I wear it and sometimes I don't, I'm a real good swimmer, I know my capabilities, and I'am MY responsibility.

Why I don't always wear it is probably for the same reason you selected #2 instead of #1, because it is an individuals perogative!

i'm guilty of not wearing one the last time out. with the bass boat we always wore them.( things happen very quickly at 60 mph) but with this fishing boat and half of the horse power, we just didn't. we should; so i'll try harder too! del

I am a 2 and 3... If the water gets some really big swells on it then I will put it on. Also if I am alone I put it on in rough water were u get bounced around a little bit going 40mph.
When its cold out, like below 40ºF, then life jackets will keep you warm when going across the lake so I will wear it then. Other than that in mid summer months it mostly plays a 3. But its always laying right underneath my seat with the seat cushion. Just b/c it can and just in case.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I'm usually a #3, but during cold temps I use a float coat and it works great. It's also super for ice fishing.

Not pimping for a particular product here guys, but the SOSpenders are a great idea. They are not a pain in the butt to wear and they will save your life. I know a fishing pal who would not be fishing today if he had not had them on. Check 'em out. Use 'em.

The float coat and the SOSpenders sound like something I will be checking out. I've dumped a couple of boats and that is'nt near as hairy to me as going through the ice, which I have also done a few times.

mpester,

PFDs are available for infants, keep looking if you didn't find one right away.

I'm a #1 in a canoe, a #3 in my Pike DLX. The kids have to wear it but if it's warm and we're anchored I'll let them take it off, but they have to put it back on when we move again.

i was looking at the SOSpenders thru Bass Pro (i have some credit to use). there are quite a few brands and styles to choose from. has anyone had experience with a particular one?

New Yankee - I love fishing for panfish. I can catch enough to keep the kid in me happy so I hope I can do the same for Lindsey when she is old enough to fish. I think I may need to get a 6" auger for ice fishing this year so she does not fall in the hole. Just kidding about getting her out fishing this year or next. I would like to get her out on the boat this year if mom will allow it (mom is very, very cautious about the kid).

Mpester - I'm with 'ya! Mine are 5 and 6 and just now getting to where they will fish for more than 5 minutes at a time!

I think you'll find the first 2 years goes slow when thinking about them fishing/hunting/playing ball/etc - even though dad would like them to do so they just ain't that interested yet! After that time begins to fly - I'm JUST figuring that out and trying to find those last 3-4 years - can't imagine how fast the next 20 will go....

Mom will remain cautious but loosen up a bit on the second child - our first could hardly touch the ground, the second we simply tried to restrict the amount of dirt he ate.. smile.gif