• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

white parasites

I'M42NDAMEND

Has anyone ever seen the small white parasite/worm that infests mainly perch. They are generally located in the meat from the dorsal fin back to the tail. But they can be in all parts of fish. If I clean a fish that have them it gets tossed. I have also seen them in walleyes from a few northern MN lakes this year. Just wondering what others opinions are. Not very appetizing.

Those nasty little grubs occur in alot of fish, sometimes they cluster around the fins and tail area and you can see them from the outside. Other times you don't know they are there until you clean the fish...yuk!

Rock Bass always have them, Sunnies and Perch have them from certain areas, I've seen them on White fish, on smaller Walleyes and Pike, but I have never encountered them on Crappies? I don't mess with fish that are heavily infested...if I see one or two on a fillet, I'll pop them out with the tip of the knife, if more then that, they become cat food, or fertilizer!

I really don't get many with grubs, over the years I have learned what to look for on the outside of the fish and also areas that give up alot of wormy fish and I don't fish there!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      My wife eats this now and then,vio tried them once. Yep tastes like raw pine needles and pine cones!!👍
    • Wanderer
      And Grape Nuts.
    • smurfy
      he ate pine needles and pine cones raw!!!!!!!!!
    • gimruis
      No idea who that is.  Had to look it up though.  Born in 1911 and died in 1975.  That explains why I've never heard of him.
    • smurfy
      Just old leather straps!!🤣🤣apparently you seem to have no problem with all the preservatives in our foods today. I know you ain't no Euiel Gibbons.  
    • JerkinLips
      Fished Tuesday-Thursday.  Caught a lot of 9-12 inch walleyes.  The only walleyes I caught over 12 inches were two 13 inchers and the pictured 22 inch.  Don't know where the quality eaters went.  Best action was 11am-4pm.  The walleyes were stuck on the bottom so I set my bobber so the minnow could just reach the bottom.  Then I would occasionally raise it up to entice them to bite.  Got numerous bites as I was setting the depth.  Neither the Y-store nor Vermilion Fuel & Food had rainbows so I settled on pike suckers and chubs.  Didn't catch a walleye on pike suckers the first morning so I just stuck with the chubs the rest of the trip.   Good luck fishing and enjoy the lake.  
    • JerkinLips
      Was up Tuesday-Thursday.  Travel by snowmobile was much better than 2 weeks ago, but still fairly bumpy.  Didn't hit any slush, but I didn't travel much off road.   There is only one road plowed out from McKinley Park now.  It heads toward the first group of fish houses to the right then turns toward Birch Island by that village.  This road was very wide and well cleared before last nights light snow.  Don't know if the wind caused much drifting with this snow.  The good road goes to just before the west end of Birch Island, then there is a small plowed road that goes behind the north side.  The slush spot from 2 weeks ago has frozen and the road is now straightened out there.  There are numerous small spur roads plowed off of the main road.  A few spurs about half way out hit some heavy slush, so that is still a concern if going off-road.   Good luck if you venture out, and be careful and courteous.  Enjoy the lake.  
    • Wanderer
      Well yes, as a matter of fact I do. 🙂   Planning on heading out this afternoon to play in the arctic blast for the weekend.
    • leech~~
      I don't think there is such a thing as cheap and sturdy. For unbreakable you may have to get away from plastics or fish on claim days. ☺️
    • gimruis
      Ballzout mounts are extremely sturdy.  They aren't cheap though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.