• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Jesse meet's with Mille Lacs Advisory Board 11-20-01

At the meeting, the state said "they are commited to pursure a 5 year slot implication" meaning any slot limits would be effective for 5 years. Would you like this 5 year plan better or do you like the current way the slots change.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

There's got to be more to it than simply an attraction to a specific number. What was said that supports a 5-year plan?

If it is an arbitrary choice of a number, NO, I do not support it.

The 5 year plan was suggested to let anglers know ahead of time what the slot will be. This will allow to re-establish the customer base that declined and to give anglers a piece of mind that the slot will not change. It seems from reports that allot of anlgers are frustrated with the changing slots and have givin up on the lake and have found other places to fish. The problem with the five year plan is i cant see a liberal slot for that period of time.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Havin' Fun

I love fishing Mille Lacs! You look at the QUALITY of fish that are coming out of that lake and it's hard to beat that anywhere. This is thanks mostly to the new slot limit. Is this hurting business? I'm sure it is. All I can tell you is that no matter what the slot is, I will always make the trip down there for a chance at ALOT of big fish! So I will still be there. 5 years is a long time. Start with a year and keep it the same!

There is still a walleye mind set to Mille Lacs. Few lakes in the US offer the perch, northern, muskie, crappie, and smallmouth that swim in Mille Lacs. People go to resorts in some parts of Minnesota at lakes that hold no walleyes. Yet, for some reason there's the expectation you should catch and keep Mille Lacs walleyes. I hope I never become a single species angler.

I agree Clayton, Mille lacs is a great multi species fishery, I must say considering the few hours that I spent fishing on Mille lacs the last year, I have never caught so many large walleye in any other lake in Minnesota. I go to Mille lacs to have the opportunity to CPR some large walleye, take home a meal or two of perch, and maybe a couple of slot fish, and also enjoy the smallmouth, northern and muskie opportunities. Mille lacs is a great lake for folks to visit, and I don't think these large walleye would be quite as plentiful if not for the efforts of the DNR, as long as they can be confident in their knowledge that the upcomming year classes are strong, then go with the five year plan, If not, then we shouldn't risk it. A recent article in the Mille Lacs Digest quotes some launch captains as having the best season ever.

Political issues aside... I favor selective rules based on the state of the fishery. There's a lot of bitching and moaning about the rules up there but you can't argue with the results. You talk to the resort owners up there and you'd think they'd all been given a death sentence. Very few have done anything to change and evolve in the way they market and do business. The lake can't be marketed as a supermarket anymore. It's a place with phenominal fishing and a chance to keep a few fish to eat. I think there are few fisheries in the state that can provide the quality experience that Mille Lacs can. I think if the resorts made their place a better destination, promoted the current opportunity many would see more success.

Based on the management of this lake over the last 12 years , I think it will be too hard to set a slot that works for a 5 year plan. Each year the factors that determine the success of the spawn change. We had some great years in the past that gave us large age classes of fish. We did have a few poor years also. I do not mind an annual change based on an educated "guess" , but multiple changes within a year did not go over well at all.
Dino

HarryG

I like slot limits. It has led to succesful fishing outings for me. I don't think it is fair to change the slot in the middle of the year. I don't think that the the current slot is fair. I have cought many fish in the last 3 years but I have only had 2 that were keepers. I hear similar complaints from others. I don't know if the current slot benefits the Lake or if it benefits the Fishery Management. The 14 to 18 means that more egg producing fish are released and less work for the Fishery Management. If there is a lack of funds, maybe a Walleye Stamp should be implemented. To me it does not make sense to spend the money that fishermen do on eletronic , boats and other equipment but only spend less than $20 on the lisence that puts the fish in the lake. I am in favor for restricted limits but system must work for everyone.

wazz

I just think the rules should be the same for everyone...

------------------