• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TONKA IS TOPS!

How can an angler say enough about Lake Minnetonka? A jewel right in our midst! I have always thought it, and last night was another confirmation! A terrific outing for my two sons and I.

We went out of Greys Bay landing and I don't think we had to wait 5 minutes to put in? It took longer to do the survey, that the cute little lady from the DNR was taking, about exotics.

Beautiful evening, lots of scenery, sailboats idly making their way, people waving, big monster boats, we even seen a pontoon with a Gazebo on it! Everybody was just enjoying life on the lake, it's great!

Within the first 20 minutes, we had our 1st. Muskie, my son Brian got it, a little one, but it did'nt take 10,000 casts, maybe 25! On top of the little guy, we got lots of little LM bass, several in the 2 pound plus range, and Brian got the biggest, 18 1/2 inches, 6 inches deep! He was busted off by one even bigger! He also got about a 5 pound Pike. My son Joseph, who was the lucky one the last time the 3 of us were out there, ( Huge Muskie) was #3 last night!

Total for the outing...1 Muskie, about 15 landed LM, 1 Pike, lots of misses and alot of fun! All them fish are back in the lake, get out there and get em! Tonka is definately tops!

If you think thats tops dont come to northern minn, it will change your opinion of "Tonka".

Ive never considered those (besides red) lakes north, but I suppose they are north of the cities.

[This message has been edited by SledNeck_X (edited 07-04-2004).]

Going up north didn't do anything for me this past week. I just got back from fishing Winnie, Bowstring, and Upper Red. All I can say is slow slow slow!!! All the 18-20 inch northerns you could want on bowstring but other than that SLOW! It sounds like he had more action in one afternoon on Tonka than I had in 3 days up north.

~Piker

It's all good gents! I've fished Red, Ball Club, the boundry waters, Pelican lake area at Orr, I've fished alot of different areas, each has it's plus. I've fished up north, down south toward Red Wing, out west around Morton, east toward the St. Croix, both sides of Superior, Minn. and Wisc., I get around pretty good, Minn. has assets top to bottom!

I love the outstate lakes too, but the Grebe hit it dead on when he called Tonka a jewel right in our midst. Same thing for when he described everyone having a good time and enjoying life on the lake.

Fishing on Tonka is an experience you don't get on many other lakes in this state, and a lot of fun, even if guys like sledneck don't get it.

Its not that I dont get it. Dont misread me here, Minnetonka holds good memories for me, I caught my first Muskie there. All I am saying, while Minnetonka is good as far as metro lakes go, it doesnt come close to the lakes up north for Largemouth Bass/muskie fishing. Im not trying to get into a my lake is better than your lake match, I just feel that the northern MN lakes are being insulted by saying Tonka is tops. no offense to anyone.

I do not think the intention is to insult the Northern Lakes. Tonka is a great lake right here in the Metro. It holds big fish of all species.

A friend who fishes Mille Lacs every weekend, tells me, that if he did not have a cabin on Mile Lacs, his time would be on Tonka.

Just some feedback I have heard is all....Great lake, great fishery....And I do agree, not tops compared to other lakes....But certainly tops in the Metro.........

Sled...no insults, digs, or anything else intended....Minnetonka is tops. So is Mille Lacs, so is the Whitewater area, so is Superior and the St. Croix and Osakis, it is'nt the lake, or the river? It's all in how you enjoy the time you spend on, or near the water! It's the experience and how you percieve it....Enjoy!

OK SledNeck, my apologies for misreading you.

If I could fish anywhere I wanted whenever I wanted, Minnetonka would not be my choice all that often. Without question there are better lakes in the state if you're only talking about catching fish, or if you're talking about finding a quiet peaceful spot all to yourself.

But I really like going to Tonka, and my wife likes going there too. The fishing is better than average, and I like all the activity and sightseeing like Grebe described ...... the mansions and the immaculate yards and landscaping, the big cruisers and sailboats (some with radar domes, don't ask me why), the floating parties at Big Island and Fletchers, etc. There's not too many spots in our state where you see that kind of stuff, so it's kind of fun to go there. Like Grebe said, a jewel right in our midst.

It all depends on which lake you also have the fondest memories on. Could be up north (there are some fantastic fisheries in Northern Mn) Tonka coughed up my first musky. The Grebe (my dad) took us out there last summer and it was awesome. When I was little, Tonka is also where I first learned how to twitch a rapala on the surface for bass, where I learned how to pitch plastics.. the list goes on and on. I have never been skunked out there. Can the lake be busy at times, yes. But theres still something special about going out there for a couple hours after work to enjoy the water, houses, boats and catch fish. Priceless! I know that if we are ever blessed to have children, Tonka will be the first lake I take them too so they can learn the basics.