• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

C&R, keeping fish, my one fishingmn.com complaint

ya.... there was a tourney recently on minnetonka where they had the weigh-in at the mallofamerica...... wonder how those hundreds of 3-6 lbers fared.....

I totally agree...if you want to let them go, do it, if you want to keep some, do it!

I pay for my own license, with my own money, that I work for with my own hands and if the powers that be, determine that I can have a set number of fish of a certain kind, then if I feel I want to keep some, I'm going to, it's as simple as that!

I'm not a new guy! I've been around the block a few times, I've been eating fish since I was a kid and I certainly would'nt be stopping at this point, because of a newly adopted concensus, by a new breed of angler, that all fish should be let go! Yeah, right!

Nothing wrong with keeping a few in the eating slot, but if the fish is large enough to where it has no predators I say release them. all they can do for the rest of their days is re-produce. The larger fish don't taste nearly as well as the smaller ones. And freezing fish makes for a fishy tasting meal.

I love to catch em more than eat em, but I love to eat em. And my boys, one 8 and one 16 both love to eat them too. It is a part of getting the youth interested. They look forward to the catch and the dinner!! If you were in Iowa looking at all of the advertising I see about the delicious Walleye in Minnesota you would think it would be OK to eat a few. So we do - within legal limits. We fish a slot lake most of the time, and we love to brag about the ones we have to throw back, but we don't mind it. I just have to wonder what some people would say about hunting - "Throw it back???" lol But we are happy to release most of the fish we do catch. You have a beautiful state.

SteveR

heres my .02$

I like to fish for the sport and also love eating what I catch,I feel if the lake is stable enough to harvest some of the nicer sized fish then YES I will keep some for dinner, but on the other hand I look at a lake like Crooked Lake in Andover, all the posts about the walleyes in there and the enormous ammount of people there every day,I think C&R would be a good idea there until the population gets established.So on a nut shell I think it has more to do about the lake that is being fished.

OH yeah I got attack more then once on this board for keeping my LEGAL limit.I even got attack about giving my parents a couple of Crappies. Some people take it way to far. I am all for catch and release and I do release 90% of my fish but some time I like to keep some to eat

Interesting topic as always, and I gotta add my .02

I understand taking offense to someone bashing you for keepin fish, its wrong and shouldnt happen, but I also understand taking offense to someone bashing you for expressing your beliefs in selective harvest and C&R. I have seen and been a part of alot of these debates, and from what I have seen, most of it is not bashing, ALMOST all of it is mear opinion sharing and a little preaching. We are all on a site full of thousands of minnesota fisherman, we are all here for our own reasons and are all free to express our opinions on matters that involve fishing. Ive heard way too many people complaining about this site and how its all about arguments and bashing people. This is not true at all, most of the topics are free from any such debate. Its true some people get out of hand and say things that shouldnt be said and could be considered "bashing" but it comes from both sides of the argument. You just cant expect to be talking with thousands of fisherman on this site and not encounter opinions contrary to yours. This site is amazing to me and I dont mind reading other people opinions on topics. If you dont like it, ignore it, keep an open mind and maybe you can learn something, or have a closed mind and become ignorant, this can be said for both sides of the debate. Bash the Bashers all you want but dont bash the site because we all wouldnt be here if we didnt love fishing and enjoy this site.

I think very, very few of the arguments on this topic are between people who eat fish and those who dont, its always seems to be between people who kept fish that some thought should not have been kept. Not because they kept fish, but because of the size, species, or quantity of the fish. The people that start these debates are not strict C&R people who think its wrong to keep fish, but more people who have deep beliefs instilled in them to practice selective harvest, and to them it is wrong to keep certain size and species of fish. These people have a right to responsibly express there opinion on this subject as long as it doesnt include bashing or insulting. If its gets out of control moderators of this site can take care of it if you bring it to their attention. So far this thread has stayed very peacfull and eduactional without any bashing, lets keep it that way, and lets not bash FM's site for these debate's occuring. There is nothing that can be done unless policy has been broken, and polite opinion sharing(wheather you agree or not) is not a violation of policy.

We cant learn anything if we dont listen with and open mind...

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

[This message has been edited by FishinChad (edited 06-24-2004).]

this is a fantastic site! great topic... i have enjoyed reading what people have said so far and can agree with most... i am a bass fisherman and for me CPR is in my blood... for me i would never even consider eating a bass, its like cannibalism. but that is my viewpoint.. i will keep eating those annoying hammerhandles, mainly because i think that i can eliminate them from my bass hotspots smile.gif
eventually i will be able to catch a bass on every cast smile.gif

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

[This message has been edited by sami0115 (edited 06-24-2004).]

i hope this doesn't come across preachy or political, as i don't mean it be... just throwin in another angle....

i find sumthin fishy in the premise that we have to stock lakes with unstable fish populations due to over-harvest.... we spend tax dollars to augment our catches because apparently our regulations aren't strict enough to maintain stable populations of fish in our lakes/rivers....

this gripe isn't with fisherman keeping fish, but more with DNR management of fisheries.... if a good portion of the money spent on fish stocking was instead spent on habitat resoration in the lakes, and stricter regulations and slot limits were in place, then we could maintain these fisheries without wasting dollars.... kinda turns our lakes into amusement parks instead of self-sustaining eco-systems-- pay your tax dollars, ride the ride and keep the fish, cuz we'll stock more next year......

is this premise crazy or flawed? what do you folks think? i know the DNR has claimed in the past that only 14% of fish caught in the state are stocked, but that's still a ton o fish..... i also know that other factors like poaching/netting are involved, and fish stocking has its merits, as the survival rates are more than ten times better for the fry, but do you folks think different regs might not only help in this situation, but allow us to work to clean up some of our waterways?

------------------
Obviously you are not a golfer....

Am I the only one sick and tired of logging on to what used to be a great site, just to read endless posts of people complaining? I've hesitated for some time now to post this becuase it is in itself complaining but when will it end? The new forum they need to start should be "Complaint Department" Then we could feel free to surf the rest of the forums without all the whining.

I love how there are "eaters" and "trophies" with walleyes and seemingly no in between. In reading the posts you'd get the impression a 26" walleye tastes bad because it's too big. I've never had a "bad" walleye!! Diced onions, flour, salt, pepper, lemon on a fillet in bacon grease with baked beans on a shore line might even make dogfish taste good!! I had a Canadian resort owner tell me he wouldn't let his guy in the fish shack clean anything over the slot, that they should all go back in the lake. Well, we were catching everything under 14" and over the slot that week. Sorry bud, we kept a few. Believe me, I'm not saying fish just to be a meat hunter. I'm saying stay legal and quit judging.
I'd be all for a graduated slot limit - 2 in the 14-18" range, 2 in the 18-22" range or something along those lines. It'd be more complicated but it'd take the pressure off of 1 or 2 year classes at a time.

This is a good post, I'm glad it got started. To anyone who would start "preaching" the C&R thing, I think you've got to be careful to judge what anyone may have done. One of the earlier replies mentioned the fact that some people don't get out fishing as much as others. Let's say, for example, that a guy goes out 3 times in a summer, and keeps a grand total of 12-18 "eater" walleyes, maybe one that's a bit bigger, and maybe a bass or other fish "flavor". That doesn't seem to be a problem, and I'm betting that's what the majority of fishermen are doing.

I have personally observed "locals" on one of my favorite lakes that go out every chance they can, keep a limit of walleyes, and repeat this time and time again. Later, they commented to me that they're almost "sick of eating walleye". That's where you might have a legitimate gripe.

Otherwise, like I've said on most other posts, keeping a few legal fish is basically the reason most people go fishing.

FM is a believer of Catch and Release.

However, this doesn't mean throwing everything you catch back. Again, it's about awareness! Aware of the resource you decide to enjoy or use for simple pleasures like fishing.
Aware of the impact you might or might not have on the fishies habitat and the fish themselves.

It's about selective harvest.
Understanding what it all means! Understanding the large or small impact today's outing will have on my children's outing tomorrow! It is simple as that.

Next time out, check what the DNR is doing for or could be doing for your favorite catch or body of water. Then ask yourself am I contributing?

We all know the resource just isn't there for complete government managed fisheries. So we need to understand...maybe as volunteers of sorts for the DNR what we can do to help.

Heck, I want to take my some day grand kids out to waters I have success on today.

I try to do my part and that part is at least trying to understand, in part, the ecosystem and the balance between fishing and it's impacts on our loved resources.

Pure Catch and release, in my mind doesn't work anyway, taking us back to Selective Harvest.

Follow the laws and hope the little extra you do outside of the laws will benefit this great states resources!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

I agree with most of you that if you catch your limit you should be able to keep it, but one area I might not agree with everyone is that if you feel like someone is being too preachy of rude (not to the point in which they would be banned) about this subject, then do not get into it with them. Like you said, a person has a right to keep their limit just as a person has a right to be passionate and vocal about their feelings on this issue. Is that not why peopel come here?

imo, JegerJack.

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

I probably throw back 90% or more of the fish I catch, it's just more enjoyable for me that way... no wait, I'll be honest... I don't really care to clean a mess of fish when I get home smile.gif

Nothing wrong with keeping some fish as long as it's in the legal limits.

I find this intersesting.
I worked and Gander Mtn. and quit 3 weeks later, just because of much what I am hereing. My experience working there was people often came in the store grumpy, shopped and checked out even grumpier, like it was painful. How can something that is so fun, be so disheartening. I walk in and I cannot wait to throw money at new lures, just imagining what I may catch with them. I could not stand having people act this way and then try to bring me down with them.
Much of the discussion from some posts seems to be the same way.

Are we placing too much pressure on ourselves to catch? How about enjoying the 'whole' experience.

Pressure from spending tons of cash on that calcutta over the zebco 33?

Is it the push for competition, we all want to be a tourney champ or club champ?

Is it greed, are you keeping my fish?

Is it media driven, tv shows, magazines and websites, they often make it look easy. Shouldn't it be this easy for us?

I think this catch and keep, or catch n release is part of something much larger.
Have fun, if you see a guy on the lake not catching **** and still smiling , its probably me, stop and say hi.

Lots of luck....Well stated! Thank you!

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 06-25-2004).]

I like FishinChad's post. It sums up my stand pretty well. I noticed someone else keyed on a part of my post they didn't like, but ignored the rest.

Where you stand on what you keep is an individual opinion based on different influences: The law first of all, your upbringing and orientation to the sport, media influences, the state of the fishery and yes, peer pressure. Just like any other issue that also plays a role.

When I was first learning to fish over forty years ago, the Old guy in town who took my buddies and I fishing would always tell us, "if you want to come back here and catch some next time, throw some back because you aren't going to eat every one you catch, and they can't make little fish out of rocks." We didn't fully understand what he was saying but we learned. A few to eat is great, but tommorrow is another day too. I also believe it's a personal choice, as long as it's legal, but if I catch some nice sized ones of any species, I have what has been refered to as a 'personal slot'. I know that I don't have to throw them back, but I just will so there will be some for next time. Enjoy the sport and it will bring you joy forever! grin.gif

[This message has been edited by wolfman-k (edited 06-26-2004).]

Simple answer for a simple problem we need slot sizes on both ends on all lakes!Make it state wide for every lake after a couple years it will all even out!Make a 1 fish keeper under or inbetween top and low end slots for non surviving fish!

I to am very guilty of saying a little more then needed!But when you see guys keeping 8inch eyes(limit)1 can only bite the tongue so long!

So i will join in and keep lips sealed when and only on this site it comes up!Holding my breath already!

We the sportsman and the others who fish a couple times a year are all in this together 1 way or another!So keep in mind where your going to fish next year and years to come!Dont wonder why you cant catch any big fish or fish period!

As i look back into past 10 years i have seen a major change on quality and quanity whats the next 10 going to be???????Biting my lips harder!

Cheez, things are'nt complicated enough...slot limits on both ends, for every species, state wide? What about in the middle, someone forgot the middle? And color, what about color, we could put restrictions on that to! The rules and regulation booklet will become the size of a telephone book! Instead of fishing, we can stay home and read the "Minnesota Fishing Regulations Atlas" Then maybe we will only be able to fish twice a year!

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-27-2004).]

yup affraid it's come to that!Ever read Alaskan fish and game hand book??????As thick as what you just said and by gosh it works very well too!If everyone was on same page level or atleast close to it we would not have the problems we have today!

What about the middle(dont you think we need some breeding stock)Dont sound like it to me!Nothing against you but it just sounds to me from the comments just made you think the DNRS job is to provide all the fish so you me and every other Angler can go out and catch limit after limits of all sizes!Also thinking your not a big fan of C&R or you would not be jumpin all over this post!Would you rather go out and catch and keep fish where you dont need a hair thin knife to clean the fish or a saw to cut umm up?

(color?)I'll let you have all the ones that glow ok

(1 more edit) I just was looking at a couple fishing hand books from other states compared to MN!Dont think MN has 1 thing in reg book thats complicated(Fishing)Biting my lips again!
[This message has been edited by eyesontonka (edited 06-26-2004).]

I'm wondering how you plan to release the Salmon that you plan to get the steaks off of, for your friend?

Grebe

1st of all the steaks are not from Salmon, second of all we have 3 people who use this same puter and user name for this site..Dont think it was mentioned C and R for every fish...geesh i could go on and on but i'll bite my lips too...

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-28-2004).]

I think the main issue with this is education. Some lakes can't really handle much pressure so people should be made aware of this. And if you want to keep a mess of fish you can go to different lake.

I'll bring this to light with my latest experience this weekend. After speaking with a friend who is a TU guy. He and I fish the same river for Trout. On numerous occasions he has come across a guy fishing who is keeping every trout he gets. And he'll fish this way for 2 weeks at a time. (Granted this in itself doesn't sound legal to me considering possession limits and all.) Of course when confronted his position is "The DNR Stocks'em so I might as well take them why the're here." Of course this river is a naturally reproducing stream and really doesn't hold a huge population of Brookies in the first place. And once you try and tell him that they are natural He starts claiming BS and goes on about his way.
This is one of the instances where getting "preachy" on C&R is what is called for. But again, every situation should be handled differently. It's difficult to say to someone who just took a limit of eyes on Mille Lacs that he is destroying the fishery. I would be asking how the heck he found fish in the slot.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

Where you guys fishing at that you feel fishing in MN is so bad. Many people are posting like we have maybe 10 or so more walleyes to catch in MN and then we are cleaned out. I also see many people posting that keep the smaller ones the big one taste bad? How do you know? Keep one(some) did ya and eat em? hmmm?? Also, years ago I caught a 6 1/2 walleye out of the Minnesota and kept it like a fool (don't do this no more, I do release them biggens now) but I gave it to my mother and step-father and believe it or not, they said it was the best walleye I had ever given them. Plus also back in my catch and eat days, we caught 6 eyes in the 4lb class and ate them, and I gotta say they were pretty tasty. Don't want to start any battles didn't really notice a difference from the smaller (eater size) fish as the biggens. Hey, we can preach all we want, but I think it comes down to when people will leave subtle or uncalled for remarks on "their" style of fishing and think that is the "Law" as written by the DNR where it has to stop. And I have to say I do see it more from C & R people than anybody. They are the ones that instead of teaching C & R are forcing it! I am not C & R, I am selective harvest and that my friend is the way fishing can be done! NOT SHOULD - but can! I think everybody can practice selective harvest and we will have fish for years, decades and centuries to come!

Have fun and introduce a kid to the great outdoors!!

I'll through out my $.02 here...

I don't normally keep fish to eat. I don't care that people keep their limit. I have in the past kept some fish for dinner, just to prove to my wife that I wasn't at the nudy bar wink.gif.

With that said, I've always had a weak stomach(I'm originally from IA, and didn't grow up in a "sportsmens" house). To cut to the chase, I had the terrible misfortune last July of almost, by about 20', of being involved in the worst accident that anyone should ever even hear of. I saw a family of 4 turn into a family of 1 instantly. I pulled a 2 year old boy(who is doing good now thanks to his aunt and uncle) and his deceased 2 day old brother out of his parents car. It was terrible site, that can't fully be explained in detail here, but since that time I can't really clean fish. By pure fate, the following week I was to go on a houseboat trip to Rainy with my buddies. That trip was really needed to clear the head(as much as it could).

So, debate it all you want, but either way be thankful for your time here.

[This message has been edited by NotoriousBLM (edited 06-29-2004).]

First of all let me say that I was born and raised in Minnesota, and I have been fishing Minnesota waters for all of my 32 years.

I think it is funny to see Minnesotans complaining about slot limits and lower limits. If we had started this many years ago like some other states, we would have better fishing today. I think we should learn something from our neighbors to the East. I fish a lot in Wisconsin, and I catch a lot of fish there. Almost every lake I go to in WI has different regulations, and those regulations change from year to year. It's really pretty simple - you just read the sign at the landing to see sizes and limits. Most of the lakes I like to fish have 2 or 3 walleye limits. The limits aren't low because of lack of fish but rather because they have healthy populations and people want them to stay that way. In six years on one lake in WI (a two walleye lake) I have never heard anyone complain about the lower limits - usually we hear people talking about catching 20, 30, or more walleyes in a day. When I fish there I do keep a couple to eat, but I also know for a fact that the population is being regulated and protected.

Keeping and releasing is a personal choice - as long as you are within the laws I have no problem with what you do. Just keep in mind that what you do today has impact on tomorrow.

I go fishing to have fun and spend some time relaxing - those are the same reasons I read these forums - if I can learn something along the way that is a bonus. When reading ANY internet forum I try to remember that opinions are like ***holes - everybody has one. I don't agree with every opinion I read - that's life. If I don't like your opinion I may not read your post, but I'm not going to blast you because it's just your opinion.

Let's try to get along - we have enough competition from the ANTI's and the DNR that is run by bureaucrats instead of biologists.

Just my $.02