• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

C&R, keeping fish, my one fishingmn.com complaint

First things first: I am guilty myself of doing what I am about to complain/ask change about.

The whole catch and release thing. In my opinion this is getting out of control on this site. The wise cracks (example from a post to show pics of nice catches; "show us pictures of the ones you threw back.."), the slams, and the worse than even those.

Can we get over this? I love this forum because it is the best place to talk about catching fish...the DNR headquarters is the place to talk about releasing, stocking, fining, changing laws, etc.

At the very least, can fishingmn.com open a new forum called Catch and Release fanatics or something like that where all of those who have to (again, including myself sometimes) gripe about it?

I'll try to start a grass roots movement here, no more beating on people for keeping their legal limit of fish, no more acting holier-than-though morally, you can't keep a fish over so-and-so size and under so-and-so size etc.

From here on out, I take that oath, anyone care to join me?

kpj5pr,
I throw back what I want and keep what I want to eat. Aint life great smile.gif I'll be more than happy to join you in your effort.
Great post, BD110

DITTO

I personally release most of my fish, but have no problem w/people keeping fish. It's thier choice to make weather to keep fish or not!!! Even though I might not agree w/thier choice.

------------------
GRIZ

I throw fish back because I'm just simply too lazy to clean them and since the wifey won't doesn't know how to clean them, I have no complaints.. She says to me "You catch'em, you clean them" so when I feel up to it, then I will keep some but usually by the time I come home from a long day of fishing, I just want to relax and not have to clean.. grin.gif

I'm with ya on this. I'm getting tired of people scorning me at the launch just because I kept 2-3 for the table. Sure I do c&r but that doesn't mean I won't keep some. I'm keeping what I want to eat for the meantime. They scorn you like your the culprit for the decline in quantity and quality of fish.

[This message has been edited by ricqik (edited 06-23-2004).]

We just got done doing a great piece with Turk Geirke on the Croix and he has some great comments on keeping fish! Look for that HOT BITE FISHING VIDEO next week! In the HOT BITE FISHING VIDEOS we like to show C&R since we generally are on a HOT BITE and dont want it to seem as though were hording fish. We will generally keep a few to enjoy for dinner if we are staying in an area that we can cook them up!

I am one who feels that If I want to keep a fish and its a legal fish I am gonna do it.
And not feel bat about doing so.

I also feel that you need to practice C&R on fish that dont make good eaters anyway. For example I heard of this guy who kept and ate a 46in Musky.....I really dont think that happens very often and I cant imagine it was a great eater. But obviously he could have picked a better fish to eat.

I think it comes down to knowing how to pick your eater fish. Why eat a 7lb bass, 46in musky, 20lb northern or a 10lb walleye?
Those fish you may as well release unless you want a wall hanger.

I also believe that walleye over 23 inches dont make great eaters unless you double fillet them or bake em. Give me a 15 to 20in fish anyday.

I use to be into trout fishing and it was nothing to go down to Iowa and pound some really nice Browns 16 to 20 inch fish.
I like to smoke them and the looks I got from guys on the streams when cleaning up a limit of nice trout always made me feel guilty.

I would hate to think that by keeping fish for the fry pan or smoker is somehow unsportsman like.

Personally I look at the sweet smell of fish frying or smoking as the ultimate culmination of a great day of fishing. It goes back to the idea of not just the sustance of the meal but the entire process of fishing. Being that I enjoy cooking, making a meal of fish I have caught is a very rewarding experience. And in the words of Ted Nugent (who many hunters loathe, but I happen to like)"Ya cant grill it till ya kill it!"

I say for those that want to always practice C&R go ahead I think its great!
I often do the same. But when I keep my limit to enjoy the fine art of cooking fish, I dont need the lecture on conservation. They can go buy their fish from the store that gets fish from commercial netting. If more people who liked to eat fish simply caught their own fish, the need for commercial netting would not be there. Plus it never seems to taste the same.

Wow I kinda rambled on a bit but it is a very interesting topic and one that I certainly have my opinions on!

DAR

"Fish are Food"

I'll have to agree with you guys too. Keep fish if your going to eat them right away or soon after. I too am guilty of this as I kept a 14" walleye and did not eat it(I still feel guilty to this day, it was in my freezer for about 8-9 months). That was the only fish that I have kept in the U.S.A. since about the late 80's. A buddies dad kept a 5 & a 7 pound bass and ate them for his sons birthday and that upset me a bit. I am all for keeping fish to eat as long as they are reg. size, BUT A 7# BASS!!! I would have had it mounted first. Maybe I am just a hypocrit. Anyways....

Good Fishin'...

Yup, I'm with you on this one too. Theres a thread called "disturbing smallie story" on the Vermillion board right now thats a perfect example. Legal catch, not trophies, being cleaned for shore lunch, and of course someone has a problem with it. I think most guys on here do thier fair share of C%R, I certainly do, but I guess some feel they have to point out the merits of C%R every time they hear of fish being eaten, especially when the particular fish species/size doesn't fit thier personal idea of a proper fish for the table. They'd be better off spending thier time lobbying for different reg's for thier favorite species/body of water then complaining on here. I'm expecting this discussion could get, ah, interesting...

I stand the same with BigDar on this, some fish just aren't good eating, at least without special preparations. I also don't think it's ethical to keep a limit of the biggest fish in the lake just because you can, like in a really hot bite. I know I have whined now and then about watching people pull limits from small and heavily pressured lakes that I fish. I remember posting some criticism on a huge sturgeon that was speared last spring in Wisconsin.

I'm critical about it for three reasons:

1. Big, old fish are not the best tasting.

2. They are full of PCBs, mercury and other pollutants.

3. SOME of them are the best spawners you find.

If you believe the DNR, and I do, your 17" to 20" (something like that, I should look that up again) walleye is the most prolific spawner in the lake. Sure the big sows lay eggs too, but with a much higher mortality rate.

That's how I set up the rules for what I keep and I'm teaching my kids the same rules. When my eight year old released a 19" largemouth two weeks ago he had no problem with it. We took a photo and he enjoys showing it to friends. We filleted some 13 and 14" bass that day, and had a fish fry too.

I am amazed at the productive capacity of a Minnesota lake, but I don't think you should automatically keep a fish just because it's legal to do so, unless you have a real and legitimate use for it.

I understand why you are frustrated and defensive. The short version of my stand is this: If you really want to eat a large fish and enjoy eating one, then go ahead within the limit regulations for the waters you are on. If you don't, take a picture and put her back. I can't imagine the reaction if Scheels started carrying Muskie Batter.

I really like this topic.
Alot of people talk about catch and release of walleye, well most of the metro lakes I fish are all stocked with walleye there is no natural reproduction, so if you want it for the table put it in the live well...

When you go goose hunting or grouse hunting or deer hunting or trapping there in no catch and realese....
Just enjoy your catch and don't let it go to waste.

------------------
crazy about fishing

I don't spend whole days in the fall out on the lake in the freezing rain/wind/snow to throw them back. Or drive 300 miles to fill up a 35 gallon tank of gas to drive around the lake. Or spend hundreds of dollars per year on fishing equipment and bait to throw them back. We all need to eat. Don't get me wrong, I end up throwing back probably 50 to 60 percent of the fish I catch (size, wrong species, etc..) so you C&R boys say what you want, it goes in one ear and right out the other.

i would simply make the distiction that supporting increased C&R in minnesota lakes and streams doesn't mean you are somehow against or opposed to people keeping fish.... it's definitely a personal choice....

personally, i think it'd be nice if there was more info readily available at boat landings and access points to lakes/streams that details which ones support natural reproduction and which don't..... i'm much more inclined to keep fish which are stocked, especially if they are simply put in to be caught and kept (can't reproduce and repopulate the body o water).....

Gas$45, Minnows-$6, Rod-$100, reel-$100, Boat-17K+, truck-20K+.40 Thousand invested and you deserve to keep some fish. Some guy gives you a dirty look becasuse you kept 10 crappies-I'd laugh at him. I release way more than i keep and i do support C&R, but if some guy said somthing about me keeping a limit of fish why feel embarresed? He should be the one whose embarresed because he's just making an ass of himself.

I am a fan of "selective harvest". This is what I am probably most people on this site practice. I never get on people about keeping legal limits of legal fish. To each their own.

My biggest "oh boy, here we go again" of this site is when someone brings up the replica vs. skin mount debate. This is a time when I can not stand the holier than thou attitude. To each their own.

It is troubling to me when I am at the access on the lake I live next to and this "vacationer" calls me over how they caught 3 pike over 10 lbs, 4 walleyes over 8 lbs, and 4 largemouth over 5 lbs. Yes, great day fishing that I would love to experience, but not the meal that I would enjoy eating. This guy could use a little lesson in C&R. But I told him nice catch and smiled. I don't know if he caught the part when I through out the comment, wow, that's a lot of good spawners there!

In response to creating a special forum for the C&R guys. How about instead we create a forum called Dead Fish I Ate.

I personally don't care either way, I eat some fish that I keep so don't feel I have the right to tell others they can't. However, this is a Forum where people have differing opinions. Forcing one faction out seems a little radical especially since there are quite a few responses from the meat eating crowd that are just as disrespectful as the people advocating for C&R.

If the C&R guys want to preach then they should do it in a respectful way that's more educational than preachy. There are some guys on this site are good at that, others are just rude.

Wally H

I heartily agree with DAR. This is easily one of the all-time best topics ever posted on FM. There is nothing more annoying than having to listen to someone preaching that has a polarized viewpoint. There's an old saying that says that there is nothing worse than a reformed sinner. Just ask anyone that smokes about smokers that have quit. I'm glad for you that you have quit but the fact that I still smoke is nobody's **** business but mine. I have long practiced C&R since I feel it is vitally important to the future of our fishery. However, if I do decide to keep a few for a good meal(better for you than a steak) I'll be ****** if I am going to feel guilty for it!

------------------
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Do what you want to do and keep it legal! I am with the poster that said he releases many of his fish because he don't like cleaning them. My wife always ask me how I did and I will say we pounded them. Her next response is good we will have fish tomorrow. OOPS - didn't keep any honey! too lazy to clean. But when I go URL or something like that I will keep my limit of slabs to bring home for the fryer. I am not sure on the comment about the meat eaters though - I don't hear from them pushing their way of life fishing like I do the C & R people. I read the exact post that kpj5br is speaking of and there were at least 2 post that subtly spoke of catch and release. I don't see the meat eaters stating when a C & R person says yep I caught 12 eyes all over 20" and everyone went back in the lake that states - **** dude should of kept them babies they would of been good in the fryer. They might however ask for lake, spot GPS coord, bait, presentation so they can go catch em and eat em - LOL!! Hey do what you want and have common sense, if someone doesn't have common sense oh well - if they did it legally - who am I to tell them my beliefs.

[This message has been edited by Caesarfishinguytoo (edited 06-24-2004).]

You see it already in big dars and 2dalakes responses. Questioning one that would keep a big fish to eat. Some people may keep them to eat because they want to and should not have to justify it to anyone. If you do not like the taste of bigger fish then rease them if that is what you choose. If you want to keep them and eat them - then that is your choice.

got perch???

[This message has been edited by deadminnowcatcher (edited 06-24-2004).]

Great topic!
I've been saying the same thing to other FMers and just last week, I talked to a person that had been an avid forum contributer that has quit the forum completely. Too much bashing and not enough fishing!

I love fishing and like most guys, spend a lot of time (and money!) preparing for my fishing excursions. Unfortunately, because of my job, family, life, and physical limitations, I don't get out fishing very often. When I do, if I'm lucky enough to catch some eaters, I keep them... a limit if I can! So when someone whines about seeing somebody keeping a limit of nice fish, I get a little ticked. Not everyone gets out and fishes as often as a lot of people. As long as they stay within the laws, I say go ahead, take your fish home and enjoy them.

Glad to see others are getting sick of the attitudes too.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Click the Register link and read before you post. It ties into this very subject.

It is the forum policy and we will enforce it. smile.gif

Catch and eat what you want. Just remember one thing, do what you feel is in the best interest of the lake you are fishing. Why? Well you just might be back to the same lake one day. To me, the best interest of the lake that I am fishing is to have a personal slot. I personally can not justify eating a 7 pound walleye. That is just me though. I will say one thing however, if we continue to have the population growth we are currently experiencing, the fisheries will only decline because of the harvest levels. I think C&R is a proactive way of preserving what we have...again that is just my opinion. The other thing I will say is this...putting pressure on other people to change some of their thinking styles is never a bad thing if it is appropriate. If I see you cutting up a 10 pound walleye, you will for sure get at least a shake of the head from me. IF you are cutting up a bunch of good eaters, you will get a when, where, and how along with a congratulations!

It is all about choices guys. You decide what will go home with you and what won't. Then you live with that choice. There are those here who are a****ant about c/r for certain fish/ fish in general and then there are those...myself included....who prefer to live by a self-imposed slot for what we keep. Be very mindful that FishingMinnesota per se is not making a statement here, but rather someone who wants everyone to be informed of choices....in this instance c/r.

Life is too short to get in a bundle over someone who wants you to throw everything back. Read what they say, if it fits use it. If it doesn't , don't. Simple as that. Case in point....I promote the use of plastics/artificials instead of using bait. If that doesn't work for you, no problem. I still use what I use and you use bait.

Someone mentioned that they liked this topic. It does deserve discussion. What it will not turn into though is a verbal brawl....toss out legitimate pros and cons. Talk about new ideas and don't expect to chew old food. If all you intend to do is argue something that has been hashed over and again, move on. The only way good can come from this discussion is if good goes into it. That means don't whine, don't take pot-shots and keep it clean.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

I'm 100% behind CrappieTom.

I also have a self determined slot that I use for keeping Crappies, Sunnies and Walleyes.
All other species go back to the water, and the fish outside of my personal slots.

Just my personal choice about how I like to fish, what I keep, and what I release.

I have a hard time faulting the guy who kept and ate a 46 inch musky, here's why.

If a guy wanted to eat one, I'd think something in the 24 to 36 inch range would be better eating (much like a northern pike). However, in Minnesota, it's not legal to keep one under 40 inches. Therefor if a guy has one between 40 and 49 inches, I can't even suggest that he consider ones that are 10 inches smaller.
If he has one over 50, I would assume that's a trophy for the wall.

This discussion reminds me of a line from a movie that I can't recall the name: "Don't you ever get tired of your own B.S.?"

I agree with all of the above, I'm sure you have seen my post before of this subject, and I am glad there are more people who think this way. 'nuff said

I look at each species differently.
On one hand,I love to eat fish.I do practice and promote on this site as well as with clients "selective harvest".There is nothing wrong or immoral about keeping a limit of fish.Those who do not understand this I feel are radical.The same goes for the opposite.Those who must keep everything.
On the other hand there are sizes of species that I do not beleive should be kept for any reason.I have never kept a musky or a flathead to eat.The larger of these are trophy fish that should be treated as trophy fish only.I haven't kept a single fish of these species but am curious as to how they might taste.I might one day keep a wall hanger 'skie to not only put it on the wall but enjoy a fillet.I may also keep a small flathead cat just to see how it tastes,but would not make a habit of it as I respect the fishery as it is now.
In the end I do agree that you should not harass a person for keeping a legal limit of fish.It is there right and it is one of the many reason folks go fishing.
If your going to preach C&R,its best to have some information as to why it is important on a particular lake.
Still....I don't care for the taste of bass. Go for it if you like it. (shudder) smile.gif

I wonder how many of the "old-timers"
complained when they set up limits
and slots on fish?? We have all seen those black and white pictures of all the big
fish and huge catches. Hey, it was legal ya know. They also were feeding families
and didn't have a clue about the damage
they were doing.

Lets fast forward to today.. The DNR just
reduced limits folks. Why?? Because we
were taking too many fish. Then we have
more slot limits and restrictions installed.
Why?? Because we are hurting the chances at
trophy sized fish on certain lakes by taking
medium to large fish.

The pressure on our lakes isn't going to
get any smaller in the future. Certainly
people are going to keep fish to eat.
And no matter that a replica can be made,
people are going to hang a fish on the
wall too. The problem lies in the
stuffed freezers and "trophy"-lined walls
of those few, who don't have a clue or
don't give a hoot about the resource.

It is left up to the DNR to react to
the problem and usually only after things
are bad off. We can go a long ways to
help keep our waters full of quality fishing
for generations to come. Conserve a little.
Let a few go. Encourage others to do the
same.

P.S.1 There are this little things called grocery stores!!

P.S.2 There is always a bigger fish!!

For me I generally keep a legal limit. That is, as an example, if I have 6 walleyes in the freezer at home, and I'm on a weekend trip, I don't keep fish for a shorelunch or dinner and my partner is on his own. If a companion boat is along I don't help keep a limit for those guys either. I fish a lot, and to have 6 walleyes or 3 northerns is not that hard to maintain, but I eat them before I add more to my take. Following the DNR rules allows for most of my fish to swim away.

I agree with you that no one need bash another for keeping a legal fish.

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 06-24-2004).]

As others have said this is interesting, and I as previously posted...use common sense. What you read or see on tv isn't always the truth or best suited for your situation.
To me the lake (and my stomach) dictates what I will do in regards to eating vs releasing. I also hate to see a guy get looked down upon because he kept a legal limit for the first time all year and is happy about it. It's like the guy ripping on someone for legally shooting a "small" 8 pt buck. People have many different views on what is a keeper/trophy, as long as the law allows it, it has to be their decision. So, if a lake can't sustain a 6 fish limit, the dnr should reduce the limit and impose slots on more lakes. This would force everyone to practice the same selective harvest.

Another thought, tournament fisherman are typically in favor of C&R, but they probably kill more fish each year than 90% of anglers out there, just a thought.