• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lighted bobbers

Wave buster bobber...............poke a hole in the top with a tooth pick and insert a little light stick.
Works great !
And you don't have to worry about expensive batteries.
I've actually used the same light stick for two nights in a row.

Good luck !

If you get the Thill, and I really like them, get the new style with the yellow top. They are easier to see before the sun goes down.

I have to second Twitter. Wave buster and a mini cyalume light stick stuck in the top. Like the ones Northland sells. You can change the color so you always know who has the hit.

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!

I like the Thill bobbers. Like 2dalake I like the new ones with the yellow top, more visible before sunset. I prefer the thill because the line goes through the bobber from top to bottom. I had too many tangles using slip bobbers where the line only went through the hole in the bottom of the bobber.

Wally H

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've been pertty disapointed in the quality of the lighted bobbers that are currently available out there. I've had nothing but problems with the buggers leaking, batteries not lasting or lights working intermittently. I ended up special ordering lighted bobbers from Japan made by National. Same as the old fuji bobbers that are no longer available in decent sizes. They went for $9 a pop at the time but they last forever. Batteries are 2 for $3.50 and they generally last me 1+ seasons of fishing.

Other than that the wavebusters are the way to go with the glow sticks. If you order the glo sticks in bulk on line you can get them for around 15-25 cents each. I've seen the new weighted wavebusters but I haven't tried them yet.

The way I look at it you either pay up front or pay as you go.

Borch

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 06-23-2004).]

I don't know the brand but I purchased several in 1975 and I have yet to buy new batteries. That's right they have lasted almost 30 years on one battery.
I use them twice a year on open water and 1 - 2 times a year on the hard water and they all still work fine. I can't believe it. They are red and white with a black rubber stopper on the red end, they are skinny with a bulge in the middle where you seperate the two halves to turn the battery around so it will light or not light when not in use.

Just read the other replies and THILL is the name of the ones I bought years ago. Getting old and forgetful.

Yeah, I like the Thills. Who is it, Blue Fox that also makes bobbers? Those are nice because of the size and shape but the light on top is too small. I've used the Thill for a couple years now and can't think of one bad thing.

Not sure where I bought them but they are a super stretchy clear rubber silicone like snubber. They look like an 8 You put the one side over any bobber stem you want to use. Then put a glow stick in the other side they work great... I think they came 2 or 3 to a pack with glow sticks also included...

You might want to check out Gapens. I realy like there regular floats and they have now come out with a celulume one. I just got some and have not tried them as yet but they look like they should work good. You have to be gentle with them but they are very sensitive.

------------------
Crappie it's not just a fish it's a attitude!

IBOT #23

Twitter hit it right! Get the Wave Busters, and glow sticks. We found that the Rodd N Bobbs sticks glowed brighter,longer and were cheaper than others tested.
The Wave Buster also casts further and with better accuracy and will hold an 1/8 oz jig and bait. It also has less buoyancy meaning the fish feel less and grab harder. They are also very visable, even in bright sun conditions.
www.todaystackle.com

Any recommendations on brand, color, size?

I'll be using it to fish off a dock....trying for anything (walleye, northern,...

One thing about Thill, to avoid tangles in the dark the first thing I do when I open a new one is take my needlenose and pull that dang spring off and throw it away. I know it's there to use it as a fixed float, but the line gets caught in it when I use it as a slip bobber.

I use the samething that Twitter does and what snapjigger does. They both work pretty good. I would say the wave buster bobber and them little 2-way rubber attachments are are the way to go.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

One question on the Thills. Am I the only one who has trouble with the little light sticks? I have had several that light intermittently, with very low intensity, or not at all when I push the button/light down. It's really frustrating when the light is on in the boat but goes out when it lands on the water! I've also had lights that only last an hour or two then go dead. When they work they're great but probably half of the ones I've bought have had trouble.

Hoyter, I've had problems with them as well. It can be difficult to turn them on and off and if you don't get it turned on all the way it can flicker or turn back off. The other lesson I learned this past year is to make sure the light is not pressing up against the top of the bobber when you put it away, that can turn it on and drain the battery.

I still think that they're better than other ones I've tried. I'll have to try out the wavebuster rigs that people have been talking about though.

WallyH

I have used the Thills and have no complaints what-so-ever. They have worked very good for me.

Hoyter,

No you're not the only one. I have one left out of 6 I bought when they first came out 4 or 5 years ago. This is my last one. O rings fell apart and light just weren't reliable. I plan on emailing them and see what they'll do for me. The new ones look a bit different but I'm very hesitant to buy anymore of them.

Borch

My wife tries out different colors cause she's into that. I haven't noticed any difference.

As far as size, I usually get the larger Thill bobber because I can cast further and if you're fishing over deeper water it's nice to be able to put on more weight to get it down faster.

Wally H

FOOT, That would be the Blue Fox brand.
I have one that is 4-5 yrs old and still
works great!! They also made marker buoys
that self lock so you toss em and forget em.
They fill with water and stand up on
your mark. They had a reflective band
on the top for night ops. Too bad they
are no longer making either unit. frown.gif

As far as what color lights work best. I know when I first started using lighted bobbers there were 3 kinds : Red, Yellow, and Green. Big plastic things. The green was hardest to see, then yellow wasnt to great either, but red was the way to go. Now I just buy red. The thing I like about the thills is you can put more than one light in there. Up at the B-Dub, I had an orange and a Red light in the same bobber and it was like a lighthouse beacon compared to my buddies blue fox and whatever other kind the other guys had.

Hondemon,

That the saltwater version. The ones I use have the lithium batteries and are about 5 1/2" tall bu 1 5/8 in diameter. If you shoot me an email I'll see if I still have a picture. You could do a google search using Japanese electic floats and likely find the site. Personally I don't think they have an equal for lighted floats. The wave buster with the cylume stick is likely your next best option.

jeffonthewater at aol.com

Borch

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 06-25-2004).]

Thanks for the great replys.

Are any light colors easier to see or doesn't it matter? I've been told size doesn't matter but perhaps it does with bobbers?

Borch,

Is this the Japanese bobber you mentioned?

FUJI FLASH LIGHTED FLOAT FOR NIGHT FISHING MODEL FF-52.

THIS IS A HIGH QUALITY LARGE LIGHTED ELECTRIC FLOAT GREAT FOR SALTWATER OR LARGE BAIT FISHING SUCH AS FOR MUSKIE AND PIKE AT NIGHT OR EVEN DURING THE DAY IF YOU DONT NEED IT LIT UP.

IT USES 2 AA BATTERIES.

IT COMES WITH A SNAP SWIVEL AT THE BOTTOM FOR RIGGING AND A FLOAT SLEEVE AS WELL.

THE FLOAT IS ABOUT 6.5 INCHES LONG AND ABOUT 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER AT ITS WIDEST POINT.

Thanks for the comments on my Wave Buster Bobbers!! I guess every bobber has it's place in the market but I decided to produce one that has all the features I needed for Slip Bobber Fishing. * Weighted for further casts * Snaps on and off line * No need for a plastic bead on your line - just a stop knot. That way I can snap off my bobber and instantly go back to jigging with my 1/16 or 1/8th oz jig. The bead won't be their to slide down to my jig or get caught up in the rod guides.* Highly visible because of the yellow foam and the Flo. Orange sleeve on top of the bobber. * You can poke a starter hole into the top of the bobber and insert a glow stick (I use a 3mm one) for 8hrs. of night fishing. * The only bobber in the USA that can be trimmed down to match your bait and jig weight for more sensitivity. You can use a Wave Buster Bobber for many different species - Crappie, Bluegill, Walleye, etc. At least you're not stuck with one thing on your line that isn't adjustable!!! I've been having a great spring slipbobber fishing with the Wave Buster Bobber! From 1lb Walleyes up to 7lb ones have been in my boat! You guys have fun, Bruce Mosher

bruce i really like your wave busters but i love the ice busters for jigging in the winter. im a tight line kind of guy and when i have to get up to do something i just clip one of the ice busters on.

i also like the thill lighted bobber for slip bobber fishing. super bright!!!!!!!

Try the Rodd N Bobbs light sticks they work awsome!

And Bruce? These sticks actually make the wave busters light up they are so bright.
Its time to do the "Wave" smile.gif

Got a bobber that doesn't light up until ya got a bite. Then glows bright red, didn't use it a whole lot as I don't do much night fishing. Come to think of it this weekend might be a good time to try some night if I can find it.

------------------
GRIZ

Griz.......Tell me more. How does it work? Does it work? Where did you get it??

------------------
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

griz, I have seen bobbers somewhat like that. I saw one once that glowed a green until a bite then it turned bright red. It was pretty fun to use b/c everyone knew when u had a bite. grin.gif

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!