• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What type of fishing knots do you use?

Well im conducting alittle research for a project im doing. I just wanna know, what knots do you primarily use when out fishing?

just about always the pallomar , but once in a while the improved cinch . del

Always the polomar unless it's a tiny hook, then an improved clinch

Palomar for just about everything.
King Sling for some teardrops in the winter time or cranks without a split ring.

Improved clinch for hooks and rigs, blood knot for joining lines and rapala for cranks! Good Luck!

Improved clinch for everything except trilene for superlines

Palomar for just about everything.

I use a blood knot when joining my backing to a flourocarbon leader.

Keep after them schmittbauers, Juice.

PALOMER!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Happy Fishing
Chev

The "No Name Knot" I won't use anything else except dropper loops for loose drop shot rigging.
God lyk!

[This message has been edited by Blackstarluver (edited 06-13-2004).]

The Clinch, or Fishermans knot, The Improved Clinch knot and the Trilene knot are all variations of the same knot. I almost always tie a Trilene Knot. I use the Palomar and the Lindy Snell a lot as well. Never got the hang of the Nail knot or the Blood knot for that matter.
Hey Rick how about posting some diagrams of basic knots for edification. Or maybe just a link to some diagrams, just a thought.

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 06-13-2004).]

I switched to the polomar knot this year for jigs and terminal tackle. I used to use the Berkley knot but it generates more heat than the polomar and my line is in better shape with the polomar. And I do wet the line.

I think if an angler knows the Berkley (or clinch or improved clinch), how to snell a hook and the polomar knot, this covers most of the knots needed for a walleye angler. Maybe a knot to join lines together and I use the double uniknot there. It is a variation of a clinch knot where you combine the two lines and tie clinch knots, then slide the knots together to hold against one another.

[This message has been edited by walleyehawk (edited 06-13-2004).]

I like the ol' grandma knot so I can lose all my little fish...lol It's the good and very true polomer knot!! I used to tie the fishermans knot but the polomer is 10 times better I found. Just my opinoin(sp). Time to find the ever elusive muskie... later

Good Fishin'...

I use a Palomar knot on almost all my fishing lines. I do it 100% of the time on superlines and everyonce in a while with mono. Otherwise with mono its a improved clinch knot, just w/e I fell like tying at the time. :P

I do some kind of snell knot on my snell lines though, I cant remember the exact name.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Palomar knot for everything, whether it's mono or not. It's the least abrasive of all.

I use the Palomar knot all the time, and for the same reason that Foot said not as abrasive and easy to tie when the hands are cold and the wind is blowing.

Improved clinch for everything.

I use mainly Fireline....but also on my mono lines....ice fishing...etc.

My question is, why do people use 2-3 different knots(I may be missing something, but just curious)?

I have never had problems with the improved clinch, so would it be worth switching in some instances?

Use different Knots for different applications. ie Joining two lines together with a bloodknot.
The most common app for a nail knot is the stop for a slip bobber.
The palomar and clinch style knots for attatching terminal Tackle.
Lindy loop on one end that attatches to the swivvel clip and a palomar on the hook end of the snell.

Like 1Yogi says, different knots for different applications and line weights.

That make sense....if your using the knots for different applications. (ie tying 2 lines togeather...making spinners..etc.)

But as far as tying tackel on the end of your line.... do you use 2-3 different knots?

Thank you all for your replies..This helps me out alot with my research. But 311Hemi
does bring up a good question, "why do people use 2-3 different knots" Thanks again for the replies.