• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish in Aquariums

bassman186

I am currently looking at starting an aquarium up with some MN fish. In the past I have used panfish and bass but they got boring. So I released them and I now want to start again. When and where could I catch/buy fingerling size fish (bullheads, catfish, pike, walleye). I have both a 45 and a 55 gallon aquariums that have been sitting and running for 3 weeks now, all I need are the fish.

Do a "final" water check and then pick up the phone and call around. Depending on your location, there may be a fish store close to you that has the proper paperwork to deal in natives. Most times, if they don't have what you're looking for, it can be ordered, but most will carry the "more" popular species... Walleye, pike and bullheads are easily found. Cats, I'm not to sure about...

I would recommend against the catching of your tank fish. Although some have had good luck with "caught" fish, most, if not all will bring parasites with them and THAT you do not want!!

Have fun & Good luck!!!

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

Thanks Moose-Hunter, I have in the past caught my tank fish with no so great success. I'll call around and check, would you recommend a fish farm or pet shop???

GO to Forest lake pets. They have the best selection and great prices. My faviort Game fish are bass.

How would I get there from Chaska? What are there prices like off hand, do you know?

Bassman186....

I, personally, have never been there, but I've heard very good things about that shop in Forest Lake. Also there's a shop in Crystal that carries natives as well.

I see you're in Chaska? I'm just down the road from you in Cologne. I have a 55 as well... only (2) eye's at the moment. It's a fully planted tank so if you ever need foliage for yours, just let me know. I've got Green Foxtail coming out my ears!!!

------------------

Hey Moose-Hunter,

Yeah I live in Chaska, I could use some plants for the Aquarium, If your willing to spare a few? How long have you had the Eyes? Send me and E-Mail at [email protected] or give me a call at 952 210-8092

[This message has been edited by bassman186 (edited 06-08-2004).]

This topic comes up a lot - try a topic search in the "equipment" and "open water" forums using keywords "native tank". I think you'll find a LOT of good info.

My tank is doing great. 2 channel cats and 3 rock bass. The channels are the most graceful things to watch.

Bassman....

Give me a couple weeks on those plants. I "pruned" them just a short time ago and they need a chance to recover a bit. With the way the grow.... It won't take very long....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moose-Hunter (edited 06-09-2004).]