• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

limits for family fishing

Hey guys-the law is clear here-If you do not like the law do what you can to change it.We cannot expect people to count the acreas of a lake and then see what eveyone thinks is an ethical limit.

You guys are right - I guess it just kind of made me sad/upset to see so many good sized fish taken from such a small lake. I emailed the DNR about it and asked why it doesn't have special regulations. Haven't heard back yet.

This lake isn't particularily close to my home, not a favorite lake by any means. I don't think I'll bother fishing it again this year.

I caught 3 bass while I was out there, had fun doing it. I guess I should focus on the positive.

My apologies to everyone for coming off a little harsh towards families.

Family is very important to me and time shared on the water is some of the best.

OK, I am neither Pro-Life, nor Pro-Choice. But what if mom had a baby in the hopper. May be some day that would qualify as another limit?

If so, if a young couple had the CO find them with 13 walleyes, they could say they just got done "rockin the boat", and by golly, they were fishing for that 3rd family member...(And maybe twins, triplets, etc.) Suppose the regs need to say kid must be able to hold a rod...

I am not serious about this. And I do not mean to offend anyone. It is just that I thought about this when reading this thread, and if I didn't say it, I would waste time while fishing thinking about it... And now, I can think just about fishing... or Rockin the Boat...

I was pretty happy with the "dump rule" at the landing but I'd guess you'd have to be a hillbilly to use the "rockin' rule" while you've got the rest of your family in the boat.

One time, during rush hour, I spotted a guy fishing in a boat with four kids and two mannequins. He obviously was counting the mannequins as people, and his stringer indicated a gross violation of Minnesota law. To top it off, he was a drunken state legislator that was playing hooky from a special session that was taking place that season.
So my question is, should I report him for being over his limit? For being drunk on the water with kids in his boat? For having mannequins in his watercraft? For playing hooky from a special session? Or for being a state legislator?
Loopholes...loopholes. Patch cloth and croquet...We need more regulations, special slot limits and individual lake slots. I propose that no fish under twelve inches should be kept for more than three minutes excluding border waters that should mandate a 14", 6 minute minimum. While we're at it, let's propose a gill netting season on all inland lakes north of the Alexandria meridian for native Polish citizens residing in Minnesota born between 1952 and 1961. They're an oppressed group with questionable dietary habits. They need more mercury. We need more Poles. And fishing regulations.

I think it was a cry for help from the legislator. Maybe the mannequins were his “friends” and he was talking to them about critical legislation he needed to consider.

Are you sure he wasn’t wearing a dress?

And if he was drunk, why wasn't he at work. Sounds like he would have fit right in based on the report on Fox 9.

If this is a real story and not humor, this guys smallest problem was the overlimit. I think being intoxicated on a boat is a major penalty. Then if he had children he was endangering while intoxicated, that is charge two. The poaching would be the throw away charge for the DA.

HA!

Way too funny.

Anyway, yep the bottom line its legal to party fish, so I will just go fishing and follow the rules and used some good ethics.
Heck, its a win/win!

I have no problem with the party fishing rules, like someone said, it takes a mess of fish to feed a family. I take my kids fishing as much as they want to go, which isn't real often. Believe me, you're not going to stay out there & catch your own limit very often, let alone theirs, if they're not having a good time, because they'll make it so miserable you'll be ready to go.

I've taken my son when he's been dying to go fishing all day & about the time I park the truck after unloading the boat he's changed his mind. I'm not going to teach him that whenever he commits to something he can just change his mind & back out of it. He may not fish at all, but we're still going. I might tell him, okay we'll only fish for an hour & if you're not having fun then we'll go home. Like someone else said, he often puts his rod down & says he's not going to fish anymore cause he wants to play with the minnows or whatever. If we're bobber fishing or jig fishing, I just throw it out for him anyway & keep an eye on it for him. If he catches a fish that way, it's the same as doing it all himself as far as he's concerned. If he misses it because he wasn't paying attention, then he gets a free fishing lesson from the fish like we all get on most outings anyway.