• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thank you D-Day Vets

As the son of a D-Day Veteran I would like to thank my Dad and everyone else who risked it all 60 years ago to bring freeedom to the world. The old man is 84 now and he hardly ever talked about what he did in WW II. He always says that he had to do what he had to do.

Thanks Dad and all D-Day Veterans.

PS: Just to stay on topic he took me fishing starting when I was about three. I've been stuck with the habit ever since.

Couldn't have said it better....My sincerest thanks as well. My great uncle was on Omaha Beach in Normandy, and was killed in France on July 30th, 1944. Of course, that was long before I was born, but recently I have done extensive research on his military time for my dad and grandmother. What those men had to go through is nothing short of unimaginable. Definately True Heroes.

Excellent post, Animal! We owe these folks (as well as other vets) more than we have to offer. There may not even be a democratic Western Europe (and pehaps US?) if those troops didn't perform such outstanding jobs.

As (an unemployed) rookie social studies teacher, I'm encouraged when I see/hear people applaud such efforts.

[This message has been edited by smartguy (edited 06-03-2004).]

well said animal
I am also a son of a D-day vet. My dad passed away a few years back and I am not sure I ever thanked him for his service. Kind of makes me sad. he also is the one that started me fishing and I can't thank him enough. I now have a 18 and a 24 year old sons that fish when ever they can, hope it stays that way. Many thanks to all of you vets.

------------------
great fishing to all

Thanks to all vets of all wars, but mostly the D-Day folks.
Another wwII son here my dad passed away last Dec, @ 82 he was one proud vet. If you have not thanked a vet do it if you have the chance. they are dying at an alarming rate.

All of the D-Day vets I knew have passed away. Too bad the WWII Memorial came at a time when our WWII vets are getting fewer every day.

What impresses me the most about them is the quiet way they have lived since then, no dramatics or agitation.

Truly a generation to be respected and emulated.

I have a WWII guest who comes each year, sometimes twice. Mr. Darold Henson. He fought in the Ardennes, Battle of the Bulge, and went in the second day at Normandy. I thank him every time he comes to our resort. The only thing is, I have not been able to do it without my voice cracking and my eyes filling with tears. There is no way that those of us who were never there can ever understand fully and completely what these men did for us and our families.

To you who fought on behalf of our country--
My deepest and sincere thanks. You are truly the hero's that we need most today in our country.

Doug

------------------
Captain Doug Wintle
U.S.C.G #938941
Spring Bay Resort & Guide Service
http://www.SpringBayResort.com

Lund Pro Staff
RJ Sport and Cycle Pro Staff
[email protected]
800-847-5253

From my grandfather, who had a very nice Thanksgiving Dinner on the top of his tank interrupted by the Luftwaffe:

"Gol-durn krauts!!!"

Ha! Thanks to the WWII vets. May America never again face such a foe. And if we do, may they meet the same grisly fate we dealt out to the Reich. SKOL to the warriors, and SKOL to the sleeping giant! Please don't wake us up, it's bound to get messy again.

Great post.
Yesterday I just e-mailed the people of Normandie 1944 reunion to inform them that my grandpa passed away 5/18/01. Grandma received a letter to let him know he could receive a chest badge for his service, however on the website only the vets that go to France in person are able to receive it. My grandpa was a proud vet he often spoke of his time over there, it was not a fun place to be. He was a Sargent in the Army Paratrooper 108th Division Screaming Devils. The people that served and are currently serving in the military are true hero's in my book. Bless all of the fallen hero's and the current hero's that are serving our country today. Thank you for providing and ensuring our freedom.

as Ike said..."We may never see their like again."

Thanks guys.

Also from a Social Studies teacher who never got a job grin.gif

Hats off to my 5 uncles who server in WW2.
Charlie - Submarines
Jim D - Submarine Tender
Harvey - LCVP driver
Joe - B17 navigator
Jim C. - Marine Corp.
And to the spouses who waited for them to return.
Thank god all of them returned home. Many heros did not. As one veteran put it, "these BOYS gave up all of their tomorrows, so you could have your today."
WE SHOULD NEVER FORGET!!
I also think we need to ask these veterans about their experiences. How else can we pass along our pride in them to our children.
Many have never opened up those buried memories.

God bless all veterans

One of my uncles was wounded 3 times in WWII. He lived with us for a few years after he returned home. As an elementary school boy I always wondered why he had a drining problem and simply concluded that it was unfortunate and sad.
After "Saving Private Ryan" came out he told my oldest brother he was one of those who actually landed on the beach you see in the opening of the movie. It was at that point that all my childhood questions were answered.
I concur they are the "Greatest Generation" and salute them.

Great Posts. I, too, what to send out my thanks to all the men and women that have served our country. I think sometimes people forget what others have sacrificed for our country.

This past weekend I sat inside the cabin and complained about the poor weather. I thought it was going to be a wasted three-day weekend. However, it turned out to be a very good weekend as I watched the WWII memorial T.V. coverage on FOX News. That put me in the right state of mind and I realized what the holiday weekend was all about. To think of and say thanks to the people that have fought for our country. To remember those that gave their lives for our freedom.

I spent the rest of the weekend watching the “Band of Brothers” DVD pack my wife gave me for Christmas. For those of you that have not seen it, it’s a must! Like “Saving Private Ryan”, it gives you some perspective on what these men and women did for the world. Again, Thanks to all that have and still are serving America!!!! Be Safe and God Bless.

I too am a grandchild of a WWII vet, 2nd wave at Normandie. I truly enjoy every family get together we have, because we play trivial pursuit and grandpa lived most of the history questions which gets him telling stories. Unable to comprehend what many people have given up and continue to give up as we speak.
Thanks to all again!

I have been watching a lot of the History and Discovery Wings channel the last couple of weeks. Having been a WW II buff since I was a boy, it makes for some great history lessons.

Some pretty powerful stuff, especially the current interviews with the men who were there. I find myself moved to tears when they go back to Normandy and see all the crosses in the cemetaries.

My father in law taught high school business classes for over thirty years, and is also a big World War II buff. When "Saving Private Ryan" came out, he said the first thirty minutes should be required viewing for high school students every Veteran's day.

Thank you to all who served.