• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another fireline question

I have a question for everyone out there. I am not truly sold on fireline yet I know there are some applications where fireline is the way to go, anyway my question is I am heading to Canada shortly and people are talking about using fireline for jigging with the no stretch it works great. Well what happens if you get hung up in the rocks. Can you break the line, do you have to cut the line and leave a big tail of line out. Last year up there we lost about 30 jigs due to getting caught in the rocks or pike bite offs. When using mono and you get hung up just pull on the line and it breaks at the jig, tie a new one on and your fishing again. I just do not want to go up to Canada put fireline on my jigging rods and have nothing but problems. I am already not a very big fan of fireline just because of the way the marketed the fishing line "saying you will never have to buy fishing line again" I know there is a time and place for the braided line just wondering if this is the time and place. Thank-you for all responses

Fireline is great for jigging. I would give it a shot. Maybe spool one rod with fireline and another with mono (I like sensation for mono).

In terms of snags, your right, it's hard to break the line. I usually keep a glove or something close by to help with pulling the snag. Don't use your rod, you'll break it.

Most often, the jig will straighten out before breaking.

Your supposed to bend your hooks out 150 degrees anyway to help with hook ups. Or wait, is that 15 degrees. smile.gif

Seabass makes a good point about the hook straightening before the line breaks. You can help with that by using jigs with lighter wire hooks.

There are a couple other considerations I'd throw out.

You can tie a mono leader to the fireline and that should break first. I often use 6 lb. Vanish spliced to 4/10 Fireline.

Another thing that will help is to keep as vertical as possible which implies moving slowly and using the right size jig to keep you vertical. The less vertical you jig the more you will get hung up - that from experience at the school of hard knocks or shall we say many rocks.

I too use a leader. I put a barrel swivel on the fire line and attach a leader shorter that length of rod.

One more thing about fire line unrelated to jigging. Although it is wickedly strong it is also seems brittle sometimes. I have had it snap many times when launching a lure hard and when trying to free lures from snags. Kinda like diamonds...Good stuff though. I'm a fan.

All good points. I am a believer in super lines and currently am spooled up with Spiderwire. I am using the barrell swivel with flourocarbon 15# leader, and it's breaking off at the jig even though the Spiderwire is 3#-10#. The better feel should help you avoid snags in the first place!

Thank-you for your input. I think I will go one rod with braided line barrel swivel and a mono leader and another rod with just straight mono. That way I can really compare the two and get a first hand feel of what the braided lines can do for me.

I don't know about Fireline, but Power Pro has to be close to the same suff. Up at Kabby on opener I broke off probably 4 of my first 5 jigs for some reason, it just kept breaking on me. I tied them directly to the jig with a polamer knot. After those first 5 I didnt break another line. A good combo for lindy rigging is the 15/4 power pro with a "no snag" sinker and a mono leader. This way if for some reason your sinker gets snagged, the line is strong enough for you to just yank it out (you may have to turn the boat around) and if your bait gets hung up ususally the leader will snap at the swivel, so all you have to do is tie on another leader. I love the strength of this stuff though. And the green stuff you cant even see once it's in the water.

By the way, does anyone know of a website that shows how to tie those knots on a lindy rig with the loop on the opposite end of the hook? Like the ones you buy in the store.

W/ fireline, you shouldnt be losing jigs to rocks. Just go back the opposite way you were moving to get snagged and they will pop out. If you are casting shorelines, then that is a different story.

Something someone told me once on a website is to wet fireline before cinching the knot. If you dont, your knots can be brittle.

Just a heads up, keep an eye out for your rod guides getting notched with the super lines.