• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

asian carp

anyone watch KARE11 news at 5 about them asian carp? they were running around in a boat and the carp jumping right into the boat. they will have it again on the extra at 10pm news. they said one was found in lake pepin.

yup, the one chick takes one right in the kisser, looks worth while staying up for!
I hope they stop somewhere before they get too far, it is going to be hard to stop them, what does everyone else think the dnr should do? It isnt possible to kill off the river like what they have done with certain rough fish infested lakes.
Best Fishes
Chris

The carp were on T.V. on Lake Michigan last year, it looked funny at first, until people starting getting hit by them. I hope these dont make it past the barrier on Michigan onto lake Superior

First of all, Lake Superior is safe. Very few fish can live there, and a plankton-feeder like the bighead "asian" carp will never cut it. No worries there. But in the Mississippi, they will do well. Their only competition is our American Plankton-Feeders. The Paddlefish and the Bigmouth Buffalo. Unfortunately we have killed off almost all of our American native fishes (between commercial fishing, stupid "roughfish removal" efforts, and pollution) so the exotic asian carp will have no competition when they arrive. If we weren't stupidly poisoning and netting all the native plankton-feeders out of our waters, we wouldn't have this problem. But everybody wants to catch their stupid pansy walleyes, so they kill all the native american competitors that would otherwise kick *ss on the chinese fish. Now the Chinese fish will take over our rivers, just like the common carp did, just because the government is too stupid to stop the public policy of eliminating the natural All-American fishes in favor of more walleyes.

to whom it may concern , Yah you are right, We should never have killed off all those wonderfull looking and tasting fish we had just to keep the sport fish the rest of the state loves to fish and spend millions upon millions of the dollars doing so!!! . Yah i can see it now, state carp tourny's, hey we could even change the state fish to ...what would you suggest..sheep head? You make a good piont that we shouldn't kill of all our bottom feeders, but to suggest that we should let them thrive to keep out asian carp is i diotic. First of all the asian carp would handle the small bottom feeders here no problem and would/will take over if they do "pollute" our lakes and rivers... but hey maybe several hundred dnr profesionals are wrong and you are right..? Also you wrote "getting rid off all-american fish for a few more walleyes"...hey wake up THE WALLEYE IS OUR STATE FISH!! What being the state fish isn't all-american enough for yah? Man o Man grr you really tick me off!!

------------------
I'd rather be fishing and think about church, than be at church and thinking about fishing!

[Personal attacks and threats are not welcome here]

[This message has been edited by Dennis Steele (edited 05-27-2004).]

[This message has been edited by sirlips (edited 05-27-2004).]

Wow, that Kare11 story was great! All I can say is about time they put something on TV about this to let the general public know how big of a problem they could become. I know there has been talk for awhile now about what could happen if they reach the Mississippi in MN and Lake Pepin and how they can control the fish.

The lady who got hit in the head jetskiing is very lucky. Her nose was broke and she got knocked out and fell into the water. She would have drowned if it wasn't for an observant barge captain.

The DNR have nets around there boats to keep the fish from jumping into the boat. Thats crazy!

Apparently the fish like to jump on the side of the boat or behind the boat. You wouldn't be able to waterski or innertube on a lake or river with these fish in it. Some of you may think thats a good thing.

Why couldn't they have introduced a faster growing walleye or something like that. We would actually be eagerly awaiting their arrival instead of trying to figure out a way to contain them.

All they need to do is cross breed an asian carp with a walleye and they'll be jumping in the boat...

I didn't see the story but I saw the preview and it looked like the fish were jumping out of the water in response to the sound of the boat. So I'm thinking, why not have a hunting season on these things? One guy driving the boat, his buddy riding shotgun, literally. I mentioned it to the little lady, and as is usually the case, the voice of reason shot it down in the name of safety. Probably a good call.

Put on a helmet, and moto-cross pads or football pads. Break out the Louisville slugger or Samauri sword and swing batter - batter, swing batter.

I missed the news AGAIN - where was that filmed?

Hey EBass..way to go...stealing MY idea from the Bass forum...LOL.

[This message has been edited by Tom Herman (edited 05-27-2004).]

OK-OK I stole your idea, but I had my own twist with the sword. Slice and dice sushi style. smile.gif

Where are they now? Any one? Pool 5 yet?

I was thinking the same, 12 guage with 8 shot, buddy drives the boat, safety would be an issue however. But it would be a lotta fun!

EBass,
WE HAVE TO START A LEAGUE!!!!

How would we keep score?

2 points for every hit with a bat
4 points for cutting one in half with a sword...degree of difficulty greater on this one since more skill would be involved hence more points
Minus 1 point for every carp that lands IN the boat
Minus 2 points for every carp that hits the "batter"
Minus 3 points for every carp that hits the driver
Minus 5 if either the driver or batter is knocked unconscious but stays in the boat
And Minus 10 points if either the batter or driver is knocked from the boat.
Game over if you drown or get run over with the prop after you fall out grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tom Herman (edited 05-27-2004).]

That's a new slant on jump-shooting.

Shoot with 00 and they're instant chum.

I am in!
Mount a 50 caliber on the front deck of my River Pro and chase the suckers down.IT would look like a scene from Water World! grin.gif

Just hope they don't make it as far North as Monticello!!

What do you think those security guards at the nuke plant would do if they saw ya screaming up stream with guns ablaze!!!

Oh the horror!!!

grin.gif I can see it now, Flying down the river at 40mph, guns blazing, "The Ride of the Valkyries" blasting out of the stereo, carp jumping all over and Dennis on the back of the boat yelling "I WANT TWO MEN SKIING BEHIND THE BOAT.... WHAT? IF I SAY ITS SAFE TO SKI THIS RIVER THEN ITS SAFE TO SKI THIS RIVER, I'LL SKI THIS WHOLE ****** PLACE!" grin.gif

I wonder if someone in China has introduced Muskies, which are decimating the populations of native fish, attacking swimmers in the shallows, and damaging boats by grabbing the prop with their jaws?

Why do all of the exotics come here? Are our immigration standards still too lax?

Wouldn't you like to get your hands on the bucket biologist who thought it would be a good plan to put one of these things in our waters?

I recall reading catfish farmers brought them in to keep their ponds cleaner, hoover the bottom, etc. Some might have been released when they flushed the ponds, some might have escaped during flooding, but they aren't there on purpose.

how about some pictures. I told people at my work about them but I can't find any photos of the carp jumping.

------------------
great fishing to all

I think it would be fun to go after them with a shot gun. More fun than trap shooting.

I remember reading about some state out east that has a hunting season on fish. They've tried several times to abolish it, but the tradition keeps surviving.

I can't imagine how fun it would be to blast away.

I guarantee you, there are those that could hit them with an arrow (on the fly). That would make a hell of a tournament. First boat to stick 12 and get back to the dock wins.

I'm thinking we introduce a few grizzlie Bears at the corner of Croix and sippi to guard the St. Croix from the invasion.

If you use a console instead of a tiller, I would think we could pull it off. Keep your head down if your driving!!

Who would have ever thought we'd need to worry about giant fish hitting people in the head? Sounds like one of Paul's April Fools jokes.

Hey all i dont want to put a damper on all thes ideas, but this is a serrious matter.We really have to get a lid on this problem. These fish will take over the rivers completely. Not to mention that they can survive on land and crawl to ponds and lakes. Not to mention the fact that some *****s will transfer these creatures to lakes on purpose. They are very fast breeders who take over water systems very fast. It is going to take people dieing to stop this. We dont know alot about this fish,so dont say it could not survive in the great lakes. It all comes down to money that people dont want to spend, for electronic barriers, and that might still not do the job. I dont know how to solve this problem, but we need to figure it out quickly befor its out of control.!!!!!!