• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

speed trollin

nicolejon1993

Any tips on when to start speed trollin? Is this done mainly in the summer, after the water warms? I think Fishin Maverick has tried this in the winter, but only on windy days wink.gif lol Is it more effective on the flats, or in deeper water?

Thanks

Just to piggyback on this. How fast do you troll when you "speed" troll? I've always been curious.

~piker

To really be effective doing this, you should wait until July/August when the water is warmer and the fish are more active. The northerns really show an attitude when you buzz a spoonplug or big lipped crankbait by them at about 4 to 6 miles an hour!

I usually snake troll the breaklines until I find the depth and speed they like. Then I'll focus on keeping it there unless they move.

Make sure you hang on tight! Going that fast, if a ten pounder smacks it going the opposite direction they can really smoke your drag!

some of my neighbors at the lake speed troll for big EYES, but I haven't had the opportunity to see them in action.

some of my neighbors at the lake speed troll for big EYES, but I haven't had the opportunity to see them in action.

Speeed trollin already, I thought the ice just got off of that lake. BRRRRRRRRRR!
Can't wait to go trollin with ya buddy, hopefully sometime before July

------------------
no-no boys there's two O's in goose!

I find that some of the best panfishing not in numbers but in size, comes when I speed troll anytime in the summer. I usually will kick the motor all the way down to a slow troll and when I start to land small pan's I speed up a bit and it seems to help dodge the small ones and gives a good chase for the larger ones. When the bite dies, then start to slow down the pace.

I speed troll starting in mid-July and continue through August. I've never really tried it earlier - maybe I'll give it a shot this year.

I used to run about 2-3 mph, but with a new boat this year, my idle is much higher. Once I get it set, I'd guess I'll be in the 3-6 mph range.

For pike and ski I normally troll between 4-6 mph. August is my favorite time to do this.

Speedtrolling for panfish......interesting...

Like Tom says,about 4-6 mph.I love this method for big muskies & pike.I throw out the biggest bucktails in the box (13"+ long) with a big huge blade to shake up the water just a little.Normally start this around end of June thru late August.

Just what exactly should a person use for pan fish ie:Craps,Gills.???? Very interested in this.I would have to think a mepps aglia would be a pretty nice choice.Or a little rap.

------------------
Greg

I have power fished crappies for quite a few years. I make my own spinner rigs, basically an enhanced beetle spin. It is the best way i have found to search out the biggest and hungriest fish. Its great for fishing a long stretch of weeds, and when you find one, more are there. The bonus also comes with pike, walleye, bass and skis that come along. The fun is you never know what has bit until you set the hook!