• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

REPLICA OR SKIN MOUNT?

JLM - I guess I did mis-read your post. Sorry about that. Moving forward from here.

Good Fishing

Animal

Hey no biggie, its sometimes difficult to read as well as communicate when we are all writing! It happens. Good luck!

Another topic "BEAT TO DEATH", common sense tells me that it is up to the certain individual to decide what is best. I have both and it depends on the species.

Well LEECH21, I have to disagree! I've been up close too and I can see the difference myself. I'm sure many others besides yourself may not be able to though.

The real McKoys look way better.

To each his own I'd reckon.

fiskyknut

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 05-26-2004).]

THERE ARE SOME BAD REPLICAS OUT THERE, ACTUALLY A LOT OF THEM. YOU MUST HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT ONE OF THOSE! YOU NEED TO SEARCH AROUND AND FIND A COMPANY THAT IS REALLY GOOD.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Hmmmm, I've seen work by the shops mentioned prior on this thread. There are bad skin mounts out there, actually alot of them. You must have been looking at one of those! You need to search around for a really good taxidermist!

IF YOU AND I BOTH GOT A TROPHY MOUNTED TOMORROW;YOU A SKIN MOUNT...I A REPLICA, THIRTY YEARS FROM NOW, WHO'S DO YOU THINK WILL LOOK BETTER, NO MATTER WHAT TAXIDERMIST OR "REPLICA MAKER" MADE THEM?

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Oh that's really easy, mine would still look better because it would still be much, much, much BIGGER than yours! You know you expressed your opinion in your first post on this thread, others including myself have posted theirs only to have you disagree with our opinions. Why did you even ask for others to give their thoughts?

OH YEA, ONE MORE THING, WE BOTH KNOW MINE WOULD BE BIGGER! HA HA HA!

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Only the real thing. I've released enough fish to earn a real one for the memories. Like it was said earlier, anyone can order a fake one.

Well, this just ran through my head several times last evening when I landed the biggest stream brown of my life.

Whose to say this fish will live another year,
with a chance of someone catching it again,
whose to say the replica will give fair representation, Could I personally afford a replica over a mount?

This fish doesn't typically belong to the largest group of spawners for brown trout, so why not keep it? GOod question! I let it swim!
I somewhat regret letting it go. It's taken me many years of stream wading for a fish like that. My right to keep, I bought a license!

However, A couple seasons a go I caught and released a big brown(not quit this big) in the same area...same fish...maybe...maybe not?
QUite a few photographs were taken. I am hoping one is good enough for a nice matted/ framed picture for the wall.

If I get enough dough lying around, I might replicate!

The chance for someone else to catch it, for it to add to the population naturally and to let it go after doing battle, justifies enough for me to watch it swim away!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I haven't seen yet any replica's that look as real as a skin mount. I look at detailed stuff like fins, scales, eyes, gill openings, and the teeths of northerns and musky looks way to fake. As much as I want to get a replica made for some of the trophies I've caught, it just looks too fake. Some are so bad the singing bass they used to sell at Wal-Mart looked better. Just my opinion. I'm sure given time someones bound to master it, until then skin mounts are my choices.

47b4db06b3127ccebf648628a24d0000001010

Well this was an article done in the Star Tribune awhile back about the repro's done in Duluth. Sorry my pick is small but the article pick is very large, and the fish is beautiful.

[This message has been edited by lots of luck (edited 05-27-2004).]

Here's some replicas

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hotsht411/detail?.dir=/8d40&.dnm=69a3.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hotsht411/detail?.dir=/8d40&.dnm=8ee5.jpg&.src=ph

I tried to post the pics on here, but it didn't work for me, so these are the links

[This message has been edited by outdoor ran (edited 05-28-2004).]

[This message has been edited by outdoor ran (edited 05-28-2004).]

GREAT PICTURES! DO YOU HAVE ANYMORE REPLICA PICTURES? OR ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT HAD A REPLICA MADE FOR THEMSELVES HAVE PICTURES OF THEIR FISH, PLEASE POST. WHICH COMPANY MADE THOSE?

------------------

<*))))))))><{

We made them at Artistic Anglers. Our painter is one of the best. He has painted over 30,000 fish. All you need to do is take a length and girth. Take a picture and if you want note any abnomalties. Search around, there are a few companies making good ones. Note, if you get a skin mount try to find a taxidermist that has a frezze dry machine. Your mount will last longer without has much smell and oil bleed. Especially if you get a big laker or salmon done. Any one can mount a fish, its finding a good painter that is the key.

OUTDOOR RAN...ANY LUCK IN GETING MORE PICTURES OF REPLICAS MADE BY ARTISTIC ANGLERS? HOW ABOUT ANY BROCHURES THAT CAN BE MAILED? THE WALLEYE REPLICA PICTURE LOOKS AWSOME. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT....THANKS!

------------------

<*))))))))><{

I don't know how much Artistic Anglers charge for thier replicas, but I do know that my friend who's a taxidermist in training charged me $300 for all of these. Whether they look as good as replicas done by high priced taxidermists I don't know. But for $300, I can't complain!

47b4d823b3127ccebfd6aa4b1d100000001610
47b4d823b3127ccebfd6ac221d7a0000001610

I thought I'd throw in a rainbow picture I took this past weekend. smile.gif
47b4d823b3127ccebfd6aa1c9c770000001610

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

THOSE FISH LOOK PRETTY DARN GOOD TO ME. ANYONE ELSE WITH A PICTURE OF A MOUNT?

------------------

<*))))))))><{

I have debated this myself for many years. I do not have any mounts whatsoever and have caughtmy share of muskies, bass, Pike, walleye that all could have been skin mounted or now, a replica becuase I have some of the pictures..

My attention has turned to 90% Muskie fishing. I am all about C&R. I caught a 51" last year and with my buddy in the boat, I did not know what I was going to do? Bring her home or let her go? As I battled her and netted her, I knew she was going back in the water to fight again.

My buddy thought I was crazy! We snapped some pics and I hope to battle with her in 2 days on Opener.

Those are memories! If I get a replica of her, I know I would have great feelings about that fight!

The only problem that I have with replicas, from what I've seen, is that the mouth and gills have comparisons to "Billy Bass, the talking fish". This is from reputable, big name companies that do replicas....

Have they improved?

Personally, what I've seen (which was last year), I wouldn't get a replica. I have about 6 fish I want replicas of, but until they get it right, I'm not wasting my money on something that looks so fake.....

Big G-

I agree w/u 100% when they can start to make the gills look like gills I'll get a replica. Otherwise I'll save my money and look at the pictures! No I don't have any mounts but I'd never waste my money on a replica until they can make it look like I pulled it outta the lake.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I couldn't resist this topic. I have two fish on my wall, 1 skin mount and 1 replica. I am much happier with te replica. Believe it or not it looks more real.
Looking at the pictures posted above just confirms that opinion. The price was right on the skin mounts from can it be luck but the fins look like they were electricuted. I thought painting replicas was harder than pianting skin mounts? Those replicas outdoorran posted look like incredible. That's all for now. Keep a tight line everyone.

skin mount/replica?!?!? get what you want!! I don't care either way as long as it is what YOU want. I am all about choice and as long as you follow the rules and regulations than skin it or copy it. I have a skin mount on my wall, oh Sh!t I guess that is a mallard! Had to skin that one!

Good luck fishing and practice catch and release, selective harvest, catch and keep, catch and do whatever you want!!