• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

REPLICA OR SKIN MOUNT?

I agree, a replica should be used as much as possible. Painting a replica is very difficult, particulary in colorful fish. This is very much a skill that needs to be mastered in order for the fish to look authentic. It takes some artistic talent and a ton of practice to get good. A replica is more expensive than a skin mount, no question about that. However, getting a replica done will create another opportunity for you next year when you are fishing the same water...you might catch him again when he is a little bigger!

I think that getting a replica made defeats the very purpose of preserving a trophy. I have just one fish mounted and each time I look at it I recall the hit, fight and landing the fish. I have special relationship with that animal and appreciate the time and care that went into catching and preserving my trophy. If it were a plastic copy, I doubt that I would have the same feelings.

Presently I have 5 large crappies being mounted and I'm in the process of looking for that WOW piece of driftwood on which I will proudly display them. To me the fish and the true trophy is the important part. Otherwise a photo will do.

I have only one fish mounted the old fashion way.

It is almost 15 yrs to the day. One week after bass opener at the cabin fishing for sunnies / what ever wound bite at the broken down dam down the road. We were throwing back 3 + 4 pound bass like crazy. Mind you were were only 12 years old so we did not know that a 4 lb bass was:

A. not a good eater...
B. Keeper bass...

Then there it was it took down my slip bobber & # 8 eable claw tipped with a leach. Though wow huge bullhead (DAD WOULD HAVE LOVED IT) then it jumped DAM A HUGE BASS...

Us with No net trees everywhere from the beavers to get snagged. Me with only 4 lb test.

Long story short 10 minutes (seemed like eternity) later it was in the cooler. Shoudl have seen the look on Dads face when we pulled out 1 3.5 lb bass... DAM that is big. Then here came the surprise...

Oh then there is this 21+" 5.75 lb+ fat & colorful as all heck Large mouth bass!!!

Only words from him... Freeze it I am getting that mounted for you.

If I had it to do over again I would have taken 1,000's of pictures and got the REPLICA made... So one day maybe my kids could put that look on my face!

Later all thanks for letting me share one of many fishing stories with you all...

Maybe someday I will share teh story about the time I caught an aligator (or other wise known as my fist northern)...

Replica.

Let the big ones go back and make more big ones for you to catch later on.

Defiantly a replica. I really enjoy watching a huge fish swim away unhurt. For me the thrill is in the matching of wits, and once it's in the boat I feel I have won the battle and it will make me happy if someone else can have that chance as well.

I too look at the trophy and it takes me back to the year, day, minute, even exact second I got it. It helps to capture the memory.
With hunting it is different... the object is to "kill" your prey. If it is a trophy, you mount the animal. It's own cape and rack.
However, with fishing, the object is to "catch" the prey, not necessarily "kill" your prey.
Catch and release is not just a program to maintain and/or increase the fish population. It is a respect that you have for your prey.
I have replicas and will always stick to replicas. They are the only way to go!!

"Genuine" artifical leather vs. real cows.
Soy vs. real meat.
Breast implants vs. real breasts.
Fake people vs. honest down to earth types.
Artifical flavoring vs. real flavoring.
Blow up dolls vs. real women.
Replicas vs. real fish mounts.

I want the real deal! Anyone can order a replica to be made.
"How would you like your replica Sir?"
"Let's see, I have a few 35" walleye already....Make this one a 37"er! That'll impress my blow up girlfriend!" grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I have the fish I caught last year in the freezer. Every time I look in there I remember the hit it made when it took my scumfrog. And the look on my son's face when he lifted out of the water in the net. I plan on having that fish mounted with that lure. So i can share it with my frends. This will be the only fish I do that with.

[This message has been edited by SCUMFROG (edited 05-25-2004).]

The skin mount certainly is the real deal and can have much in the way of sentimental value that is for sure. However, a replica with your picture holding up that beast also has great value because you know the beast can still be alive out there and maybe even bigger. A true sportsman will have his replica made to exact specifications of his fish. You can provide picture measurments to prove it. Hey CIBL, there is one thing you listed that I prefer fake, and its not the doll! LOL.

JLM - You are entitled to your opinion, but I object to your statement that a "True Sportsman" will have a replica made.

Harvesting an occaional legal trophy does nothing to harm the fish populations within a specific body of water or limit the chances of another anglers catch. C&R is a personal choice. Personnally I return most of my annual catch to the water each year.

I'd like to interject another angle on this topic. On the rare chance that a hunter encounters a 12 point buck; should he or she photograph it, let it pass, have a replica made, and thus be considered a true sportsman.

There are those individuals that work hard to produce trophys and then there are those who just luck into the big one. Neither should be frowned upon because they decide to mount their catch or kill.

Hey "can it be luck?" is right. If you don't have the integrity to be honest about your catch, you shouldn't do a replica.

quote:

A true sportsman will have his replica made to exact specifications of his fish.

I think you misread jlm's post.

Edit to further clarify: I think he means that a true sportsman won't add a few inches to his fish.

[This message has been edited by soultwist (edited 05-25-2004).]

I have seen walleye, muskie and crappie replica's that are absolutely amazing!! Much better now then in the past. I myself have a couple of skin mounts but can say that I will not have another one made. For me I believe I will still feel the special connection with that fish that Animal talked about above, but now will have an adding feeling of knowing that I let that fish swim away (hopefully to give life to more in the future).

I have a 51" Muskie replica done from Artistic Anglers and she looks awesome. I'm also thinking about getting a 46" Tiger muskie replica done that I C.P.R. a few years ago.
I do feel connected with the Replica on the wall. Great memories. Hopefully I will catch her again someday. Man- I bet she is pushing 54-55" right now!!!!!

Brian

I'm partial to replicas, especially now that you can get an almost exact replica of the fish you caught, assuming that accurate measurements were taken along with a quality picture that shows the color and pattern of the fish.

I've spent some time with the owner of FiberTech and he showed me a quick rundown on the process of how a replica is made, including painting procedures, how size is incorperated, as well as adjustments and uniqueness is concerned, and let me say...very nice! Holding up the actual fish (skin mount) to the replica is almost identical when hung on the wall and visible to the curious viewer. I have both skin mounts and replicas on the wall, and while both are very well done, I now prefer replicas, because one, the fish gets to swim another day, two, you can get an accurate and mirror image of your trophy fish, and three, the replica will last forever.

Catching a trophy fish might be a once in a lifetime occurance, and I think you will be happy whether you choose a replica or skin mount smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Hands down replica's

First of all as some of you have noted, the fish gets to survive, I would feel very guilty killing a fish that would old enough to mount. The way I see it if a trophy fish graces me by allowing me to catch it, then the least I can do for that fish in retunis to allow it to continue living.

Secondly, We have all seen older mounts that look horrible due to age, the whole idea of preserving your trophy is to enjoy it for many many years, with a replica it should look the same if 75 years as it did the day you brought it home. (if you're still alive).

Sure anyone can embellish the size of the fish they caught when getting a replica, but all I know is that I do not and if people wish to, that's on them.

Either way, catching fish worth mounting is an experience everyone should enjoy.

I think it just comes down to the person. Todays replica's are so good that its almost impossible to tell the difference on the wall. So its really not about the way it looks. Its about your choice of keeping the fish or letting it go. Nothing wrong with either. Skin mounts do get shrinkage but most taxidermist will make the body bigger and add a little to your girth. So your fish may be even bigger. Nothing adds to a replica like a nice framed pic of you holding the real fish under it. Thats proof. I like replicas myself but that might have something to do with working at Artistic Anglers making them.

HEY OUTDOOR RAN! YOU SAID YOU WORK FOR ARTISTIC ANGLERS. I SAW THEUR WORK AT THE MN SPORTSMAN SHOW. FOR SURE THE BEST REPLICAS I'VE SEEN. DO YOU KNOW IF THERE IS A WEB SITE WHERE I CAN SEE MORE OF THEIR WORK? OR DO YOU KNOW OF A BROCHURE THAT YOU GUYS HAVE WITH PICTURES THAT CAN POSSIBLY BE SENT OUT TO ME? THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

I DON'T HAVE A TROPHY TO MOUNT BUT, WHEN I DO SOME DAY I WANT TO BE READY! SO I'VE BEEN RESEARCHING THE POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES OF GETTING A REPLICA INSTEAD.HERE'S WHAT I FOUND: 1.REPLICAS LAST FOREVER...SKIN MOUNTS DON'T. MOST MAKERS OF REPLICAS HAVE A LIFE- TIME WARRANTY ON THEIR MOUNTS! 2.THE COST OF REPLICAS IS ONLY SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN A SKIN MOUNT. 3.TODAYS REPLICAS ARE GETTING BETTER AND BETTER. TEN YEARS AGO THEY LOOKED LIKE **** , NOW YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE. I WAS AT THE SPORTSMANS SHOW 2 YEARS AGO AND THAY HAD 2 MOUNTS NEXT TO EACH OTHER AND YOU HAD TO TELL WHICH ONE WAS THE REPLICA...I TELL YOU IT WAS PRETTY TOUGH TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE. IN FACT THE REPLICA LOOKED BETTER. AND 4. YOU CAN SEE YOUR TROPHY SWIM AWAY WITH A REPLICA. I'VE BEEN LOOKING AROUND THE NET AND TWO COMPANIES SEEM TO DO A REAL GOOD JOB ARE ARTISTIC ANGLARS OUT OF DULUTH AND GREATFISH REPRODUCTION STUDIOS OUT OF MISSOURI. IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN SHARE COMMENTS FROM EXPERIENCE WITH EITHER SKIN MOUNTS OR REPRODUCTIONS OR HAVE PICTURES OF WORK DONE I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR POINT OF VIEW.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

I think most small shops don't like to do replica work because they've been doing the real thing for so long, but it's just like technology. The longer it's around, the better it gets and the cheaper it gets. It's the best way to mount a fish in the 21st century in my opinion.

I think the hard part of the equation is where to get it done. Really shop around until you find someone who's really good.

I think with overfishing and the decrease of populations, someday we'll all be getting replicas. Let's face it, fishing limits are not going to go up in MN in the near future.

I think replicas are a great idea.

------------------
The Woodland Savage

"Grrr baby, very grrr!"

Myself personally, its going to be a skin mount. I just couldn't hang a replica on my wall.

Better than that is a good photo of the fish. I'd rather have a photo album full of great photos, than a wall full of 10-12 pound walleyes (real or replica).

In the hope of promoting CPR and selective harvest, as well as other promotional advantages. Last winter I went together with Craig's Taxidermy, and am having a traveling display replica of a 23" Brown made up. Not a realy huge trout, or the best marked fish that I have caught and released, but it will be coupled together with the Photo used and should give folks a first hand look as to how great this process works. This mount should be finished very soon and be making the rounds at selected tackle shops throughout Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
Let's hope it takes the abuse for a year or two.
John

Spindoctor,

When you get it done, you should post a picture of it so we can all see what it looks like.

Does anyone else have pictures of replicas and the original fish caught that you could post so we could see for our selves and make up our own mind?

Here is the link that explains how to post a picture.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/ubbcode.html

------------------
The Woodland Savage

"Grrr baby, very grrr!"

Animal-
Hey, you misread my post as other pointed out. I would never hold anything against anyone for having a skin mount done and as a matter of fact, I have some skin mounts. Over the years with advances in taxidermy, I have changed my tune. I really believe a replica is the right way to go...at least for me. In my previous post I was referring to those that tend to add inches to their mounts, that I strongly disagree with!!! Another consideration we are all going to have to make is our population growth. Large fish are going be more and mroe difficult to catch in the future because of the tremendous amount of pressure the lakes are going to get. It will only keep getting worse. So in my mind, I think we should protect the resource for the future and having a replica made is a great way to do this. Also, some lakes are catch and release for big fish such as some of the Canadian lakes. What happens if you catch a 32 inch eye up their? I bet you will have a replica made because a skin mount will not ba an option. I bet you will love it just as much as any skin mount. This of course is just my opinion. However, we ALL need to be concerned about our fishing future!!!

From a distance those replicants look okay, up close I can tell they're a fake. The replicas don't smell real either! Teeth, head area and gills, and skin texture of the fakies just give it away.

Catfish for one pretty much need to be replicated, but I just do head mounts of those big and uglies anyways.

Fisky

I HAVE TO DISAGREE! WHEN I WAS AT THE SPORTSMAN SHOW I WAS LOOKING AT A REPLICA SO CLOSE MY NOSE WAS ALMOST TOUCHING IT AND IT LOOKED LIKE THE REAL DEAL. SCALES, HEAD, SHAPE, EYES, GILLS, AND MOUTH ALL LOOKED AS REAL AS A SKIN MOUNT.

I ON THE OTHERHAND AGREE THAT WE NEED TO START THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE. SOMEONE WROTE THAT IF THEY HARVEST ONE TROPHY IN A LAKE IT WON'T HURT THE POPULATION. TRUE ONE FISH WON'T HURT. BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT IT WON'T BE JUST YOU KEEPING THAT ONE TROPHY. THINK ABOUT HOW MANY THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF FISHERMAN THAT FISH A SINGLE BODY OF WATER IN JUST A YEAR. NOW THINK ABOUT HOW MANY OF THOSE FISHERMAN HAVE THE SAME ATTITUDE TOWARDS TROPHIES AS YOU! "AHHH, THIS ONE FISH WON'T MATTER."....BELIEVE ME IT DOES MATTER!

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Yeah, but you've got to be one pathetic looser to order a replica of a fish you've never caught.

Honestly, who would spend the few hundred dollars on a fish they can say that they've never caught?

------------------
The Woodland Savage

"Grrr baby, very grrr!"

This argument can go on and on. How about some usfull information. How many and where on the fish do you measure? Length is easy enough but how about hieght, thickness and fins, what dose a fisherman need to get a proper sized replica.