• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How young is too young?

Took my 15 month old daughter out on Tonka yesterday a.m. fishing. We had a blast for the 45 minutes it lasted. Dead calm and no one around. People at work thought I was crazy to take her out by myself. She was perfectly content playing with her toys in the boat. Snugged up in her life jacket too. I say it is never too early. (She went for her first ride in the boat at just under 3 months) What do you think?

i say the earlier the better my boy`s were holding onto their daisy b-b guns picking out that perfect shot at the decoying ducks at 3-4 yrs. they did`t have rattles ,a zebco 202 is much better for wrist muscle development

not a issue with me...I have a 3 yr old son and he has been fishing with me since he could walk !! I had him out this past winter ice fishing and he loves it!!!I had him out this spring and the more time he spends on the water the better ....he got a tigger fishing rod for his BD and that has helped alot..... We went out last night for 3 hours without a hitch!!! start'em early...really all he wants to do is go fast ...vrooommm........

------------------
Brother Bro

Work Less Play More

Good topic. When I was little my dad would bring me down to Big Stone Lake on a baby back pack, I was only 7-8 months old. Now I love fishing and the outdoors as much as anyone possibly could. I caught my first trophy walleye when I was 4 years old 8# 9oz. I say there is nothing wrong with it as long as your being responsible. I just wish I could convince my Mother in law grin.gif

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 05-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 05-19-2004).]

I had my 1 1/2 and 4 year olds out yesterday for 2 hours in the boat. They had a blast playing with the crawlers and catching minnows in the bucket. Go fast daddy, now if I could only troll doing 30mph.

No such thing as to young...as long as we "Make em quit when they are still having fun."

I have a daughter 16, and threes boys 13, 10, 7. They all loved the hunting and fishing and have from day one. I always made a point of stopping whatever we were doing when the kids were still enjoying themselves...this seemed to have them always asking when the next trip would happen.

I am leaving for a week long Canada trip next week with my 13 & 10 year old. I am taking another adult, so we each have one kid to be responsible for.

My daughters interest is now boys frown.gif....but she still makes a point to spend time with the old man.

Good luck...great topic.

------------------
Practice CPR...Catch, Photo, Realease. Unless you pickle a small northern of course.

Nothing wrong at with getting the little ones out on the water. The only thing I would reccommend is more supervision just in case any problems occurred. My kids went camping and fishing starting at about age one. I always had either the wife or grampa along to help out. Now my son has 1 year old twins that will be going on thier first camping trip in July. History repeats itself.

My now 4yr old son had his first boat ride in a "baby bouncer" seat.(looked like a football in a life jacket)He was only 3mos old and mama didn't have a bad thing to say about it.We all still go out almost every weekend.He was in little swimmers class at 1yr.Loves the water,loves to fish heck he has more patiance than me or mama.He really thinks he's going to come duck hunting with me this fall.That one makes me a little nervous.

------------------
Greg

both my sons went icefishing at 9 months and loved it. the oldest now 17 has been fishing every day since the opener and caught a few fish. he has no time for girls that dont want to fish as he puts it. its never too young.

I TOOK MY SON OUT ICE FISHING THIS LAST WINTER AT 15 MONTHS...NOT ONE PROBLEM!!!

------------------

<*))))))))><{

my 7 month old will be in the crestliner making his innaugural rainy lake apperance this weekend........

I think if you are safe and patient, any age is great.
I did have an experience the other day. A friend and I were driving across the lake at dark and in the corner of my eye I saw a boat doing WOT over 55 mph crossing my path with only the front light on the boat. They beat us to the launch, found 2 very young kids in the boat while dad grabbed the truck. We later learned the guy strapped the boat to the dock with a bungie cord, kids in the boat with no life jackets, and the boat was floating away down stream towards a river spillway 25 yards away from the dock. The bungie cord almost snapped before the guy noticed the boat floating away and before he lost his new boat and kids (I was getting the truck at the time, my buddy watched and assisted as it unfolded). In the panic of trying to save his kids, I finished backing his truck in the water for him and launched to get them out.

Please don't do anything this guy did with kids. It's too dangerous. There were way too many mistakes that could have ended up in a disaster.

My dad had me out at 10 months. I place full blame on him for my addiction. Someday I may be able to kick it. wink.gif

My 14 year lod has been fishing with me since he was a little guy, and he is addicted now. I have a 18 month old and we are coming up on Tuesday for 2 weeks. I guarantee he gets his first fish!

Tad

Had my 14 month old son out a couple weeks ago.

I agree it is very good for them. He took a little getting used to having a life jacket strapped around him, but he got to see alot of new scenery smile.gif

The only main concern is to remember plenty of SPF 45 sunblock. Them young ones have sensitive skin. And don't let them get too close to the edge. smile.gif

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 05-20-2004).]

My kids' first trips in the boat was when they were still in the carseat. The key is to have something along to entertain them and to lower your expectations regarding your own fishing success.

If you can get them to catch a fish and have their picture taken, you've got them hooked.

Chuck you forgot to mention if you caught any fish the night you saw the idiot dad try to send his kids over the Otter Tail spillway, sooo? Some people just shouldn't have kids,period.

A little common sense goes a long way. Have fun.

Just went fishing with my 8 year old a few days ago... just went for some sunnies, and she loved it... like always. I think our first outing was when she was 3...

The best part is seeing the progression she has made as a "fisher-woman"... just this last outing she's taking the sunnies off her own hook. "Don't worry, I've got it dad."

It sure is fun to fish with the kids!

My 11 month old daughter will be enjoying her first trip out in the boat next weekend along with her 4 year old and 9 year old brothers. (As long as the weather is decent)

The earliest fising memories I have are of me and my old man sitting in a dark spear house together. I must have been around 4 years old (I'm sure I was fishing from docks before then). My mom made my dad promise to tie me up to the house so I wouldn't fall through the spear hole...a little boy could easily find his way down through a large spear hole! The patience he had for his little boy who could hardly sit still for 30 minutes, much less a full day! I guess you're never too young to learn patience...and from my experiences, that's fishing.

The earlier the better. My wifes uncle bought a rod and reel, 22 rifle, life jacket and a cute camo outfit and deliver them to the hospital when my boy was born. He figured that he may as well get used to them from the start. The boy is now 16months a little young for the 22 but w/some patience from me he will start cordination practice. Casting and reeling.

GRIZ

P.S. I never did ask him how he got the 22 in the hospital w/o a case. or even why.