• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

No Go Opener

I was just wondering if there were any other ticked off people that can't go opener and why. I have to coach a baseball tournament that got switched from Friday to Saturday to accomidate a team. It was not my decision.

FROGS... this is AUFULL, TRAGIC, DEVISTATING AND DEPRESSING NEWS.

Where can I send flowers?

Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

A few years ago, a good friend of mine, and a non-fisherman tells me that he wants me to be the best man at his wedding in Chicago. Guess what weekend it was on?

jig-em

My condolences. Words are hard to find in tough times like this. We'll all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

I have a baseball game tonight so I'm not going out at midnight for sure. But instead I will get some sleep and got out at 3:30 instead and still hope to get in on some action for the morning.
Plus after my game gets over around 7:30 I have a hour and half drive so its going to be a bit late before I get some shut eye.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I have to go to a bachelor party tomorrow which would normally be a good thing, but not on the opener.

My wife just finished up her masters in Architecture. This weekend is full of Graduation events, parties, etc.

This weekend will still be fun but it sucks it's on opener. You think people would know the opener is a State Holiday in Minnesota.

It should be written in the state constitution:

"no man or woman shall wed or engage in any event that will hinder his participation in the following activities: fishing opener, deer opener and duck opener"

Sister-in-law is getting married down in the cities. mad.gif

Of course when planning they did it so it wasn't on mother's day because they assumed that was opener..........don't people know that you give yourself a 2 week window on either side?

Of course I need to look on the bright side, this is only ONE opener for me. The groom on the other hand is screwed for the rest of his life........I'm assuming she is upity about the anniversary deal, that and he's not much of a fisherman so no fishing for him on openers as long as they are on this weekend.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

The Yeti

You hit the nail right on the head. grin.gif I'd also include pheasant opener. Not only weddings though B-day party, family reunions, any kind of gathering or social function unless it's in a boat, stand or blind of course. Oh or behind a dog w/gun in hand. grin.gif Hard to figure what some people are thinking confused.gif

GRIZ

When my wife and I got married, she was trying to figure out when to schedule the wedding. It was getting dangerously close to opening weekend and she still hadn't picked a date. So I warned her"Pick whatever date you want besides opening weekend cuz come H*** or high water, I'm going fishing!" Well it is now 42 years later and she still hasn't forgiven me. She has learned however, that when I say something, I mean it!

------------------
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Fishing an opener is like drinking on St. Patrick's Day -- it's for amateurs, wannabees, and masochists!

Any of you know of "The Griz" of Mille Lacs and Winni??? (not to be confused with GRIZ from above postings)

4 years ago, his daughter got married...On Opener!!!!!!!

Imagine that!

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 05-14-2004).]

A good Irishman is allowed to go to work hungover the day after St. Patricks day so we can't compare the two. I hate fishing with all of the other boats that come out for opener but It is the fun that you have with friends and family that make it a great weekend for me.

Frogs,
Sure you aren't coming down with that flu thats going around and you might not be able to make the game? Don't worry, we will hit the water for the real fishing opener on May 29th smile.gif

G

jpz good analogy. I myself will be attending my sons college graduation ceremonies in Milwaukee this opener but he and I will hit the lake mid week for some much needed R&R and bonding time

I'm not sure what's worse, the "uninvite", or the "backout".

You know, when a hunting or fishing partner has suggested a trip that requires purchasing licenses beforehand, motel reservations, and lots of gas to get there and back. Then, he does the big "backout" the week before (let's say the deer hunt), and leaves you having vacation set aside, licenses purchased, etc., etc.

And to top it all off, the "backout buddy" expects to be invited/taken seriously the next time a trip is being planned.

My buddy is getting married on bowhunting opener this year and he asked me to stand in for him! Number One Rule: Don't get married during the hunting season! Number Two Rule: Don't get married on fishing opener! Number Three Rule: If you break number one or number two rules don't expect me to be there! But, this is the first of all of my buddies to break that rule and I'm going to make sure they don't break any more or #3 will happen!!

Eyewinder,

All my buddies know that you pay in advance and if you back-out, the rest split your money smile.gif.

If its alot of money, they'll go forsure!

I've always thought "opener" anything was an atomatic religous event for all men. hmmm

Let's see--Cold Front this week, unstable weather patterns till whenever, lots of beginners looking for an excuse to go drift anywhere...

I'm counting my blessings for this weekend:

1. Great Wife
2. 2-Year old Son
3. 5-Month old Daughter

I'll get out to fish sometime soon!

Good luck to those who can go!

------------------
Chells

Will be working. I work 3 out of 4 saturdays a month. O-well weather looks cold anyways maybe next weekend.

------------------
great fishing to all

CHELLS.

3 VERY GREAT REASONS TO STAY HOME.ENJOY ALL OF THEM !!!!!!!!

------------------
Greg

I put my "new" used boat in the water for the first time two weeks ago, and it sank--no joke. I went back and forth in my mind deciding whether to let the dealer try and fix it, or get a different one. I decided on a different one, but it's too late for that to happen before tomorrow. I have to break the news to the kids when they come up tonight. It was going to be our first trip together in our own boat. I'ld rather be going to a wedding.

------------------
Fish on gotta go--JON

For me it was the almighty dollor that nixed invites to Milacs, Kab, And ther prefered place Vermilion. I guess i am lucky that i live on a lake so i will still be fishing a decent lake grin.gif

I'm a hospital engineer,and our dept. has to be manned 24 hours a day. One of the guys took Fri., Sat., and Sun. for vacation to go to a graduation, so we have to cover his shift. I'm working 7pm to 7am for the next three days, but I'm not going to work very hard. My daughter, the unmarried(and available) doctor just bought a horse farm out on the Crow River, so I think I might visit it next week.

i.h. bob....

My cousin has a farm out on the Crow. Where's your daughter located in relation to, let's say, the Kingston area?

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

MH, She's a few miles south of New Germany. I haven't explored any of the river there, but if I know my sons, they'll be out there and have it all mapped in short order.