• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Working for a living or a boat?

kindafishy

My friends and I always wonder what kind of jobs people have when they pull into the landing with their 20+ footer with 200+hp motors? These are usually pulled with 30k+ trucks! I'm not knocking people that have them, I just wish I could get the wife to justify me getting a 60K+ fishing rig! Stay warm on Sat!!

I don't have a 20' rig, just a 17' rig that takes 32 gallons of gas.
My pickup has a 27 gallon tank.
When both empty and needing a fill-up, it costs me around $120.00!
Needles to say when my buddies want to fishing with me, my comment to them is:
"Cash, Gas, or go fish from shore"!

Sure sign of a REDNECK

$30,000 BOAT
behind a
$30,000 TRUCK
parked in front of a
$30,000 HOME

Ya its times like these Im sort of glad I have a 14' with a 25 on it. grin.gif

Saw a truck that had a bumper sticker..

Gas, Grass or A$$, nobody rides for FREE.

With gas $2 a gallon, I might need to employ the same Philosophy.

Muskieguy

I was told this afternoon that the REDNECK referred to in my prior posting is to be respected as a Redneck who has mastered the art of diversification and now has a perfectly balanced portfolio. grin.gifrolleyes.gif

Status is petty.
Be happy with what ya got.
------------------------------------------
There once was a man that saved all his money, to buy a Cadillac and could not afford to drive it, so it sat in his driveway.

Ya the price per pound of fish just went up. grin.gif

Ya a 40 gallon tank in the boat and a 40 gal on the truck kind hurts when there both empty. BTW the boat is a Alumacraft 185 Tourny pro.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

What is nuts are these 16-17' bass boats that have 200hp on them, now that is a bit much... frown.gif

I have a little 14' deep lund with a 20hp on it. I get across the lake just fine, and it is perfect and very easy to launch by myself or one other person. If you take more people out regularly then get a bigger boat, it'd be nice to have a pontoon or something for that then smile.gif

Better yet, what are their fuel costs when they decide to take a fishing trip? $1.99 a gallon right now, I don't know how you can afford to take a rig like that fishing anymore!

i've never owned "a boat"......been on the water for 45 years(55 now).....canoes for me....no hassel with the motors ...shear pins......"forgetting the plug"...bad plugs...over heating (faulty water pump)..starter rope falling off the first pull ....batteries dead or low...flat tires on the trailer...prop hitting a concrete block in shallow water....rising gas prices...being pulled over for no trailer lights...bad trailer wheel bearings...or..forgot to flip the "lock" on the trailer rope....... ahhh!....fishing for those walleyes (or crappies) on a mirror smooth lake out of a canoe...just the sound of the water swirling as you paddle...and the loons...jonny:d

I don't think you will find a 16' or 17' bass boat with a 200 on her. You might see a 150 or perhaps a 175. Definately not a 200.

If we didn't have 2 young kids to raise, I could see taking care of a 619 or 620 smile.gif

I used to know a guy that ran a bait shop, who called Iowans "Striped Whistlers".

He said they'd arrive in their $35,000 Suburbans pulling their $35,000 boats, get out of the truck wearing their striped over-alls, and say, "Nightcrawlers are $2 a dozen - sheeeeeesh, that's expensive".

I've seen em. Most defiantly. Lil cigar shaped rangers. They are defiantly not 18 footers. I could get pictures. People do it.

Per Ranger's website:

R61, 16'3" MAX HP 90
175VS, 17'5" MAX HP 130
185VS, 18'5" MAX HP 175
195VS, 19'5" MAX HP 200

I'd love to see pics.

I should add that on boats under 20' the USCG determines the MAX HP ratings. On boats over 20', the individual boat companies are allowed to set their own MAX HP ratings.

[This message has been edited by NotoriousBLM (edited 05-13-2004).]

I was looking at new boat adds in paper last weekend. I saw one that was for $35,000 and one for $45,000!! Who in ther right mind would pay that much for a boat even if you could afford it? I think it's ridiculous. The only reason you would is to show off how big bad and rich you are. Well good for you! I'll outfish you in my $1,500 runabout and laugh all the way home!

~Piker

buy a diesel (truck that is, not boat)... fuel is only 1.69/g ....

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

plus, i get 20 mpg.....

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

I think that my 6 boats is a much better idea that one expensive one. The most I paid for any is $200, don't have any over 16', I can load any of them in back of my truck or on trailer by myself.

Then I have 3 motors to match w/ these boats a 3 hp, 9.9 hp, 20 hp. Any of these will work fine on any boat I have. Paid $300 for the most. I can load these in truck by my self no prob. As back up I carry a set of oars. I can get into a lot of lakes that are to shallow or too remote for other boats but can also go to the big pond. Might not be the best lokkin boat on the lake but can catch just as many fish. grin.gif:

GRIZ

It's all a question of what you want in life. Do you think that any of those shiny new rigs are paid for? You can finance a big lump of money if you are willing to take on a 10 year note to have that special something. Even more when you take into consideration that that boat, the truck and whatever else is financed separately.

Just don't lose your job or the bank gets it back.

I guess that I’m one of those people you are talking about. 25 years ago I started out with a 12 foot boat powered by a 5 HP 1950 Johnson Sea Horse pulled by a 1977 F250 that had 100K on it when I bought it. Since then I’ve never had a boat payment or truck payment. I saved my $$ month by month and have never paid interest. I have always sold my current boat first so I have time to wait on a buyer willing to pay what the boat is worth and then went shopping for the best deal on what I wanted next. I am willing to make some concessions like purchasing a non-current year model that equates into big savings. I have the same approach when purchasing my trucks and just about everything else I buy. I would say that over the years I’ve saved about $35,000 on boats and trucks with my plan.

I earn a pretty good living now, but I’m not knocking down big money. That wasn’t always the case. Along the way I’ve had two businesses crash, lost a good job, raised two kids and forked over 50 G’s for two college educations. I set my priorities and set out to achieve them using prudent planning. I love my Pro V and I don’t think I’ll ever downsize.

By the way gas is only up 22% from what is was last year or .40 cents more per gallon. From what some people are saying, you would think that gas was selling for .25 cents a gallon last year. My 40 gallon boat tank will cost me $16 more this year. My friends wouldn’t think taking a free ride for a week or weekend of fishing so my cost is $8 per tank. I will use about 15 tanks of fuel this year which will cost me an additional $120 and no more than $200.

PS: I catch plenty of fish.

For me, its not anger or hatred towards people who have nice rigs, cars, houses, whatever. I would say jealousy & envy are better ways to describe how I feel. wink.gif

This thread started out with a question about how can people afford a 30,000 + boat pulled by a 30,000 + truck. Well, I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm a college educated person with a 5 yr degree in architecture. Unfortunatly, I've suffered some serious setbacks financially this year with 2 job layoffs and a hard time finding work in my field. Well I'm finally working full time in architecture again and recently picked up part time work at Menards to try and get me back on my feet. A $60,000 fishing rig is no where in my future, thats for sure.

To those that have them. Congratulations. Enjoy your boat, your truck, your house. You've probably worked hard to earn it. Thats where I see myself in 10 years. When my $40,000 Ranger plops into the water for the first time knowing that I've worked hard to get to that point, and quite frankly it may take me until I retire, I just may be the happiest guy in the world.

I don't think the $35,000 boat and $35,000 truck is so bad, I just wonder what the guy that drives the Escalade and pulls a $52,000 Ranger does for a living? Anyways, nice boat and truck dosen't mean a guy can catch more fish, he just gets there faster.

------------------
It still beats workin'

Hey don't get me wrong I don't have hatred or anger towards the people that drive those boats. You can buy or drive what you want. I just don't get it. What is on a $45,000 Ranger that makes it worth $45,000? Is it just the name? Are there that many bells and wistles? Does it catch the fish for you? Or is it the mercedes of the fishing world? Maybe it's a chick magnet. Just piping in my opinion.

later ~Piker

If a $45,000 Ranger fishing boat was a Chick Magnet, I think you would see a lot more of them around, LOL. Thankfully, I found my wife way before I found my boat.

pikerliker keep in mind the cost of the power plant is almost 1/2 the purchase price of the rig and than add in the trailer and the rest of the riggings and there you have it.

Payments, lots of payments...
That's how it is done.
A wise man once told me "If you don't have bills you're not having fun."

First and foremost. True happiness is not found in the "things" that you have but being happy with what you have. There is always going to be someone with more or better "things" If you measure your happiness by the amount of money you make or the toys you have you will never experience happiness. I do have a home I am proud of, the boat of my choice, and a new truck to tow the vessal with. That being said I was just as happy fishing from shore or from my first 14 foot Lund with the 20 horse tiller with a good friend or my father beside me.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 05-13-2004).]

Rigs do not catch fish, people do. And yes you can have a nice rig without mortgageing your future. Saving and buying for cash is the way to go. Also start small and upgrade as you go. As for gas, don't want prices so high, consume less... I haven't hit my "I won't pay that price", yet. But they could get a better handle on the prices to make me happier.