• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing with 2 lines in MN?

I would like to see 2 lines allowed with NO extra charge. Regarding overfishing, when a person is one fish short of getting his/her limit, the regs could state that the person only then fish with one line till he gets his limit. If a person is caught with an extra line in and only has one fish to catch, then that person should get a ticket or fine.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slim Pickens

• BradB

• Duffman

• Northlander

Yes vote for 2! smile.gif

Two lines for winter, but only one for summer? Does that make sense?...No, but nothing makes sense when politics are involved. Just like the previous posts...This IS Minnesota!

Why do people want to fish with two lines? The simple answer is that it increases your odds of catching fish. Mr. Common sense says that will also increase the pressure on the resource. I'm all for using two lines, but those who say it will not lead to increased harvest, well, I just don't get that logic.

Why I said no?
I guess I would be for it, except for the times like when fishing the public docks on the river, where if everyone has 2 lines it kinda takes up all the space. If out in a boat it may be different but shore fishing gets crowded enough at times without doubling the amount of poles.
Can you imagine trying to get through walleye alley on the opener and everyone using 2 poles? Someone is gonna go home missing an ear..lol
I say lets keep the sport as challenging as possible,with all of the technology, equipment and technique we have today 1 pole should keep you busy enough.
If it ever does pass I am sure it won't have any major impact on the fish but some of your favorite spots may be harder to fish due to overcrowding.

There I am sitting alone on a little crappie hole & then two boats roar up & toss out about 14 bobbers. Then I thought to myself how nice it was when only one line was legal.

Duffman,

There's a chance that people may catch more fish, but the limits are still in place. I understand that people that don't catch enough fish in an outing to even make a limit may now have more of an opportunity, but they still can't legally exceed the limit.

I'm for it.

Are there any stats that say people harvest more fish in the winter when you can use two lines?

Ole

I have to agree with 5Bucks. I think the whole limit issue is that it enables a person, who is able to catch there limit, to do so, knowing that the average fisherman will not be able to do so. You could call it a calculated risk by the DNR. I have to believe that if everyone one started to catch and keep there limit it would not take the DNR long to try to decrease the limit. I am also a pretty big believer in the actual sport of fishing. I am not out there, along with most of the fisherman, trying to catch food for my family. I am out there competing with the fish. At lest this is my thought...Goodluck on the opener eveyone....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Just bring your tip-ups and jiggle sticks with you the next time your out fishing and also bring a tall glass full of ice with a little windsor/coke and tell the CO your ice fishing!

As Tom Herman said.... This issue HAS been beaten to death here on the forum. Every year it comes up. Oh well, here's my two cents....

Sure, there are limits in place to regulate the fishery... But how are these limits established? If the limits are set assuming every angler gets a limit on every trip, than sure why not allow two lines... The maximum harvest is taken into consideration and we're basically good to go.

BUT, if those limits are calculated assuming only a certain percentage of anglers limit out, then there may be a problem with over harvest with limits at current levels. The extra line would raise the "limit out" angler percentage and in turn, increase harvest. For that reason alone I say NO to two lines....

Personally, I'd love to be able to still fish or troll two lines. Not for the additional harvest but for the additional action.

But that opens the the "hooking mortality" can of worms and how that relates to harvest..... What a tangled web....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

Frozen everyone on the river is using 2 lines. 1 or 2 lines it doesnt matter. Those who usually dont get a limit wont all of a sudden get limits because they use 2 lines! I live in Wi. and I dont catch more fish here than I do in Mn. because I can use 2 lines.
Those who already get limits? Well that speaks for its self.

2 lines would be a godsend for trolling...and if your worried about pressure on resource then maybe drop the limit, ad a slot, or maybe suck it up and throw a few back.

Ole...
I'll be using two lines on the MN opener, it's legal where I'll be fishing, but there is also only a 2 fish limit at that location. I will have no problem getting that limit with only one line, so why use two? Cause it will increase my odds of catching fish. Same reason why I use two lines in the winter.

Think of it in this funky way;
100,000 anglers are out on opener.
With one line- 5% Catch 6
10% Catch 5
15% Catch 4
20% Catch 3
20% Catch 2
15% Catch 1
15% Skunked
250,000 Walleyes Harvested

With two lines- 8% Catch 6
12% Catch 5
17% Catch 4
22% Catch 3
22% Catch 2
17% Catch 1
2% Skunked
303,000 Walleyes Harvested

I just increased every groups odds just a tad in the percentages and there is 53,000 more walleyes harvested. I whipped them percentages out of my arse, so take that for what it is. But I think you get the point I was trying to make.

Moose-Hunter made a good point. Does anyone know hoe the DNR exactly comes up with the limit? Then agin maybe this is for another time or thread....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

2 lines... absolutely.

Darn near very other state allows two, and Minnesota does as well in the winter, which I beleive is when more fish are harvetsed.

2 lines in winter and one in the summer is one of the dumbest regulations, period. It ranks right up there with not being able to buy beer on Sunday....

Good luck on opener, guys.

HB

With the way I catch walleyes I only have time reeling them in with one! wink.gif HE HE! Two lines is my vote!

I'm for only one line. If your good enough to fish open water with two lines you are good enough to get your limit with one.

I go for two it would be real nice for if your out with a slip bobber and jigging. Also it would be useful in narrowing the strike zone, correct bait, color, etc. Best of all then I can irritate my other half by buying new gear.
big drift

I've fished for over 40 years on the Mississippi with 2 lines and with 1 (yes its legal to fish 2 lines).
What I've found is:
Very seldom do you have 2 fish on at the same time.
It does give you more opportunity and action, thereby increasing the experience.
It does NOT significantly increase the ability to "limit out".
Most of the times I use 2 lines is when I'm anchored, trolling or vertical jigging. Live bait slip sinker fishing is tougher but can be done.
It does give the opportunity to the fisherman to try different baits, new ideas and ways (bobber & casting) of fishing.
My vote is YES and there should be NO added cost.

Duffman, I like working those two lines. Let's say we slash the state wide limit for Walleyes to 2 fish everywhere!

Sunnyj, I don't give a rats A$$ about a limit anyway. limits are for people who need to brag because they are lacking in other departments!!

I can see the paying additional for it. i think $25 is a little steep.

Arizona is like that (though the rest of their regs are seriously wacked up..) I think it's 5 or $10 for an extra line. It'd be like a trout stamp. And yes, it would be nice to have 2 rods bank fishing for catfish and carp, and while trolling. Only having one limits you to what you can try in those situations as they require a lot of wait time and changing baits without being sure on one line may make your results worse.

I don't have any data to support my claims of a 25% increase in fish harvest - it's just my opinion. Maybe it really wouldn't change the overall harvest that much, I just think it would. I would have no problem if they allowed 2 lines and cut the daily bag limit as I generally fish 1 line and ussually only keep enough for 1 meal from that outing. Although there are times when I like to take 6 eyes and put a couple in the freezer to get me through the times of no fishing (hunting seasons until ice up). Like others have said, this is Minnesota.

2 lines

a jig with a slip bobber on the side sounds like a real nice set up.

If you make yourself a form about 5' long and 3' wide and fill it with water about a foot thick and freeze it, drill two holes through it. In my opinion you should be able to pull this around with your boat and fish two lines through the ice until it melts. grin.gif

I'm for one line. While I love trolling with two, I see it as a way for meat fishers to load up to the max every time.We need to keep more fish swimming, not less. Wisconsin allows two lines, but you can't motor troll, either. Maybe we can't have it both ways.

quote:

If you make yourself a form about 5' long and 3' wide and fill it with water about a foot thick and freeze it, drill two holes through it. In my opinion you should be able to pull this around with your boat and fish two lines through the ice until it melts.

Then they will probably tag you for not having a shelter license for your boat!

I agree with cutting the limit way back and allowing a second line. I'm not so sure about the extra fee, I wouldn't mind paying it if I knew the money would go toward something useful...

edit-spelling, grammer

[This message has been edited by soultwist (edited 05-07-2004).]

Not only am I for two lines but I would also support multiple hooks (i.e. for crappie) - they sell the multiple hook rigs in Walmart that are illegal (as I understand it) in MN - never caused a problem when I lived in Oklahoma or Missouri. It was nothing to have 5-6 poles running. Watching the finshing shows you see rigs with 8-10 poles running.

Related question: In reading the regs I "think" it is legal to use 2-3 jigs on the same line for crappie - anyone have a definitive opinion on the question?

Daze Off

How about no lines?
I'd like to go noodling.
Or, jug fishing would be fun too.

How many of you have gone over your limit ice fishing for crappies by useing 2 lines ?Not too many I'm sure.What happens when the bite is so "HOT" you have 2 jig sticks bending one after another? I know I end up putting 1 stick away,so I can work/concentrate on the one in my hand.I have never gone over my limit ice fishing,I have never had to follow a "special" slot because I use 2 jig sticks,nor have I had to pay a hire fee for this.I am all for 2 rods on soft water as I am for hard water.All it'll be is more stuff to trip over in the boat.
For the last 4 years I've fished 2 rods in MN

with my 4yr old son.

Just because you have two lines in it doesn,t mean you can catch fish. simple solution is to bring 1-2 kids fishing, teaching them to fish and when they get bored you're still legal... GOOD LUCK!

EXACTLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!