• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Caught in Mille Lacs

not sure if this will work but i caught this sturgeon down at the dam by redwing.
first half hour all we could do was follow it up and down the river.
fish3.jpg

I don't know if there's sturgeon in ML or not, but I have a story that would take me too long to type about a fish I hooked on Farm Island in the summer, that peeled the whole spool of line off my reel before it snapped and a story about a buddy and I that were ice fishing on Farm Island when he go a bite on a tip-up. He set the hook on the tip-up and it was as if he was snagged on the bottom, he had braided line on it so he wrapped the line around his mitt and yanked as hard as he could, nothing, so he set the line down on the ice and slowly, whatever it was pulled the line into the water. We did this 3-4 times with the same results, all of a sudden there was nothing there, he pulled the line in and everything was intact but the minnow was gone.

Sturgeon? Who knows?

Ole

Ole1855, ALSO on Farm Island, wife hooked a fish, could feel it "swimming", handed the rod off to me, I felt it "swimming" too. Short battle (3-4 minutes)This fishy knew her stuff and never left the bottom, then the line went slack. Lost the bait, straightened the hook, and sent the whole works back to me(INCOMEING!!!). It had to be a BIG fish, the boat was anchored. Slooooow and steady but solid as a rock. WAY COOL!! By any chance Ole, Was your experience near the North-East bay? The bay that has the channel to Hickory Lake?

Lock Ness Monster!

Seriously though, big sturegon are like that. A 60" fish could take easily an hour to get in. I caught into a big tuna on the Rainy that I fought for 30 mintues. Then I got tired of it and ripped the jig free. I made no ground during the whole battle. It just went wherever it wanted to......

They have a picture of the sturgeon in the May 7 issue of Outdoor news. They also said the Mole Lake Band member netted the fish.

They think it may have come in during flooding from a low level drainage between Cedar Lake (Mille Lacs drainage) and Bear Lake (Snake River drainage).

Dang, if its the only sturgeon in the lake, must be lonely.

Phred52,

No, both instances were on the south side of the island near the public access where there's a sand bar that sticks out into the lake and then it drops off into about 40-50 ft. of water.

Ole

I just read an artical in the Outdoor News about a 89# sturgeon that was caught by a Mole Lake, Wis., band member. The fish measured 65" and was caught near the Myr-Mar Marina. Interesting!

I saw a 45 incher caught last month on the Mississippi lock and **** by the Alma float. I didn't even know there were any in the Miss. It was fun to watch.

~Piker

Don't quote me, I may be wrong. I do know several Mole lake Indians. I actually was asked by thier Tribal Judge to film some Flambeau members spear fish. The Mole lake Band does not have treaty rights the same as the Chippewas. Actually, the Mole Lake Band have no hunting and fishing rights in the ceded territory.
Was it caught legally? Hook and line? Is sturgeon fishing allowed?

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 05-06-2004).]

pikerliker - I've personally caught both lake and shovelnose sturgeon out of Pool 4. Landed a 42-incher in late March on 6lb Fireline and 4lb monofilament snell - fought that critter for nearly an hour, what a blast.

was with a guy that caught a world record yellow perch in mille lacs one day...released her...so now she's probably about 15-20 lbs

in the same trip, he caught a world record rock bass...it's gotta be about 30 lbs by now...

ya gotta love fish stories!!

[This message has been edited by beetle spin (edited 05-09-2004).]

I fought one yesterday on the St,croix for 3 hours and never seen it. got a 66 incher there this winter. it took 6 hours on 6 pound line.

The DNR Stocked them in Otter Tail Lake 2 years back. I saw 2 float up after a storm shortly after they were stocked. They were 6"-8" and ugly. Haven't seen any since. has anyone else?

------------------
Paul Ness
Three Seasons Lodge on Otter Tail Lake