• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alumacraft or Crestliner

I am thinking of purchasing either an Alumacraft Trophy 180/190, or a Crestliner Sportfish/Sport-Hawk. I'm not exactly sure how much each of these cost? Which would you choose, and which do you think is the beter value?

I liked Crestliners hull, especially the warranty, when I was looking at new boats 2 years ago. However, in some models, I found the floor and platforms to be squishy and not as sturdy as an Alumacraft.

With that said, I ended up with a Lund 16.5' Adventure Series tiller with a 2002 Yamaha 2 stroke 50hp. Very sturdy, stable, handles the waves great, and fun boat for the whole family. (Ski's, tubes, etc, and fishes great as well)

I love that boat, but I realize alot of money can be saved by purchasing a Crestliner or Alumacraft.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I just picked up a 175 Trophy last week and love it. I compared the Lund 1700 Fisherman, a Crestiner and the Alumacraft. I decided on the Alumacraft because you got a lot more bang for the buck and the layout. You are right about the floor in the Alumacraft, very solid. I have heard to many bad things about Crestliners on this site and from other people. I put a 140 hp Johnson 4 stroke on the back and it really pushes that boat. I got my boat at Nelson Marine in White Bear Lake. I dealt with Ryan there and is a very good salesman. He was very honest knew what he was talking about.

Slab

I'm also interested in someone giving me some insight regarding a hull comparison between Alumacrafts and Crestliners. 2XB vs. Uniweld (Tongue-and-Channel).

I have the 1850 sportfish with a 135 merc. total package list was 23,500. this year the are (R&R marine) offering the same boat with the 150 merc for 23,700. there are also other engine options available. The crestliner has an all welded construction on the hull, no rivets. This particular boat is kind of the station wagon of boats. It offers a multitude of versatile options for the fisherman and also alows you to take the whole family out for a day of fun and recreation.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-04-2004).]

I have a one one year old Alumacraft Tournament Pro 185 with a 140 Johnson 4-stroke on it. That motor pushes the boat along at about 38 mph, a 175 or 200 would do wonders for speed on that boat.

That boat is really smooth/sturdy compared to some other boats. Also the wide gunnels are also nice so you can sit or put stuff on them (just so you can lose things tongue.gif ) It also has some nice rod storage in it!

I dont know if I would go back to anything else, as I really like the boat and how it performs.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

From what I have seen I would go Alumacraft. Better hull design and better interior designs. Plus I think they are just more solid. All the Crestliners I have been in seem plasticy. Is that a word?
The jury is still out on welded hulls V.S. the riveted. All I know is nobody seems to have a problem with Lunds hulls wich are riveted.
Go with what you can afford. If you can afford a Lund get one. If not get a Alumacraft. My 2 cents.

The jury has been in for years, rivits rust out. If you'd like testimonial on Alumacraft boats and how the factory treats it's customers. Give Gary the guide a call, he had a seam open up on his 1 year old boat. The factory rep told him he must be driving to fast in rough water.....Then they wanted $900 to fix it.

The hull on my crestliner is 12 years old and it's as solid as the day it was made. If you own a boat with rivets long enough, it's going to leak, welded hulls are better in my opinion and I have owned them all,(lund, alumacraft and crestliner) at one time or another.

------------------

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
aceguideservice.com
Lake Vermilion
Muskies and More.

Pro Staff Member.
Catch-n Tackle.
CKat Custom Muskie rods.
Bearpaws Handpoured Baits
Ohio Pro Lure.
Muskie Nut Tackle.
Big Chimney Muskie Baits.
Marcum.

Would you guys agree Lund boats have better resale value? It seems like Lund boats are big in the Duluth area but more guys run Crestliners in your neck of the woods. Vermilion. Any thoughts why?
I have heard good and bad on every line of boats made. Even Rangers. I guess its what your comfortable with.
Anyone have a G3 Boat? If so how do you like it and where did ya buy it?

I think we can debate this topic until we turn blue in the face. Northlander said it best, go with what you are comfortable with and what you can afford. I own a 2003 Tournament Sport 175 with a 140 Johnson. This is a very heavy boat. If you are thinking of buying an Alumacraft, put the max horsepower on there if you can. I get about 42 miles per hour and wish I had more. No matter which boat you buy, you will be happy.

I just purchased an 04 C-liner 1750 Sportfish with a 140hp Suzuki. Great boat. Planes out quickly, dry and smooth. Looked at the 175 Trophy and the 1700 Fisherman. All had features I liked. Went for the welded hull. Every riveted boat I have had has leaked at some point. Went with the Sportfish for the 17 degree hull and the versatility. Suzuki motor is AWESOME. 50mph (gps) WOT and quiet. Cannot compare to Merc, Yam or Honda cause I haven't seen them run but I know I like the Zuki.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here...

I have spent the past two summers fishing out of a 1750 fishhawk with a 115 yamaha 4-stroke. I love this but BUT I would say that the floor boards did not seem as solid as my alumacraft.

I know this is a preference thing but so many people have chimed in on the Crestliner flooring, here's another. My brother has a 1987 18' Crestliner Fishhawk, in 1995 he had to replace the whole floor because it was rotting and the floor under the pedistals was complete mush.
As a comparison, my 1983 Lund Pike has a solid floor with no sign of rotting. Oh and by the way, I ran the heck out of this boat since I mainly fish Mille Lacs, Winni and Leech, and I don't have any leaky rivits. That's the reason I just gave the Pike to my son and I just bought a 1996 ProV 1850.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 05-05-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 05-05-2004).]

Thanks for all the input guys. One more thing, which of these brands is usually more expensive?

I don't know what you guys think about this, but I think it depends on the dealer you are dealing with.
it he is a good one and stand behind the boat, I don't think it makes a differance witch one you buy.

[This message has been edited by Nutty Fisherman (edited 05-05-2004).]

I can not speak on behalf og Alumincraft, but I can give you the price I paid on my boat. 2004 1850 Fishhawk with 2003 150 Susuki EFI, 65Lbs AP with Universal sonar, upgraded trailer, custom cover, etc..... All for under $20,000. I picked it up at a boat show and I know I got a GREAT deal. Most musky fishermen want a Ranger, if they can't afford a Ranger they go with the Crestliner!

I have a Lund, but I think if I was to buy any other I would go with Alumacraft. You get more for your money and it seems like just as nice of a boat. High quality you just pay less for the name then you do with lund. Never rode in a crestliner before so I don't know much about them.

Marknamy, which prop are you running?

FYI, I bought a 04' 1850 sportfish, '04 4stroke szki, bench seat, upgrded 3100lb shorelander, 65lb trolling mtr, x125 low, all the tops and covers, spare tire, dual battery charger, trip to izaty's, and a 1/2day guided musky trip $23,400 pre tax.

Alumacraft 180 trophy with all the same options minus the trips for the same price if I wanted it.

The motor gives me 42mph at wot with a 13 1/4 x 21 pitch hustler.

i like my crestliner - my last boat had rivets and it leaked. nothing worse than a constant leak - over course of the day - lot of water in the boat. i had zero problems with the crestliner. go with the max rec. horse motor - whatever boat you buy.

My $.02 is that the argument about rivets leaking is pretty **** weak, and the argument about aluminum rivets rusting out is just plain wrong.

The only leak I've ever been aware of in any boat I've ever had was due to a bad seal around the livewell drain in the bilge. Pretty easy to fix that, and it could happen in a welded boat or a riveted boat.

Since most boats these days come with automatic bilge pumps, a small leak is no big deal (my opinion). You'll get more water in the boat from rain, spray, backsplash, sloshing around in the baitwells and livewells, etc.

I feel pretty safe saying there's no significant differences between Lund, Crestliner, or Alumacraft in terms of quality, performance, ride, or resale. Find the boat you like, at a price you can swing, and you'll be happy with it -- doesn't matter which of those 3 companies makes the boat.

Good luck.

Lund, Alumicraft, Crestliner? Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Polaris, Skidoo, Yamaha. All age old debates and the only way toget what YOU want is to research the options, you require and the $$$ you want to spend. No matter what you buy someone will tell you that this one or that one would have been better. some one once told me that I should have bought a certain other boat than the one I purchased and I asked him what kind he had and the responce was I DON'T. So I told him that my boat was obviously better than his... GOOD LUCK!

I bought a boat this spring...so I did some shopping around and I thought Lund boats cost a little bit more then the rest...but I was also told they hold their value. Just my 2 cents. I went with Alumacraft because it fit my needs and budget....that does not mean I wont have gone with Crestliner or Lund if I would have found what I wanted...in my price range.

thos 3 are the bigger names in boats in this area for the most part.if i was you i would look at more manufactors than what you mentioned above .. I have a late 70s-14' Starcraft. i have give it 2 different interiors since i have got it in 84.. Never has had any leaky rivets . in fact i had to replace 5 rivets period. 4 i ground off while doing the last interior work last spring. the other never affect anything, it was for a molding.I did have to replace the floor last spring... but what do i expect from a 27 year old boat grin.gif

yup, sounds like a ford-chev-dodge debate. All make good stuff with minor differnces to better serve a few differnt needs. I have a lund and hate it. Not because it is bad or lund is bad, but because it does not fit my fishing style. That is my fualt as lund does make some boats that would suit me better but I don't have that kind of money it would take to get one. I prefer a wide boat with a huge front deck as I spend lots of time up front, so for me Crestliner is a better fit for a budget boat. I also like the huge doors on the compartments because I always have a battle on my hands when I try to fit stuff in my current boat compartments. Like I said in the grand scheme of things pretty minor differences!

analyzer,
Same prop as you're running, 13 1/4 x 21.

44mph at 6500rpm WOT. I'll be putting a 13 1/4 x 23 on for the opener next weekend.

I agree with the fact that structurally all boats are generally the same. I think the deciding factor many times is layout and $$$. I will say that as far as the Crestliners go the 17 degree hull is a far dryer ride than the 11 degree.

I agree that you need to look around at other brands than the big three. I own a G3 v180 from Yamaha boat company and this is the best boat that i have ever owned. Owned a Lund long time ago and my brother-in-law owns a Crestliner that he would like to get rid of. So my 2 cents is just look around and you maybe surprised at what other manufactures make.

I saw a Starcraft Pro-Elite 1800. I must say it looked pretty nice, and had a huge gas tank! However, there are few dealers that carry it close by where I live, and I have a hunch that it is more expensive than Aluma. or Crest.

there is no Non- Smoker Craft. ere!ar ar ar