• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trout Day report!

The 4th Annual Trout Day has come and gone.
The weather cooperated and we had more youth this year attend than in the past!!

TO start, fishing was a bit slow for the entire weekend, but everyone seemed to enjoy their time in the Park.

The Scout Troop from Belleplaine sure were enjoying themselves and their enthusiasm for learning and breathing in the outdoors was apparent. Thanks to the scout leaders and Kevin Lynn for coming down!!

The turn out was less than what I had expected, but we managed 60 registered attendees. SOme did not register. Half or better were youth!

Kathy Beaulieu from Minn Aqua and her intern did an excellent job with their activities!
I encourage folk to check out Minn Aqua. She kept the kids glued into her program nicely.

However, as soon as it was announced it was time to go fishing, it was as if someone yelled "Fire"!!. Those kids exploded out in search of their fishing gear!
That in itself made my day!

Kenny Salwey.."The Last River Rat" impressed me with not only his message, but his skill in keeping the squermy kids attention!
You could have heard a pin drop during his presentation! Thanks Kenny for coming!

Then it was door prize time! Not sure how many people left empty handed on Saturday. I kow every kid went home with a pocket full of goodies. IN fact, I had one youth approach me, asking for a bag to carry all of his new stuff!!! I will thank all donaters and helpers at reports end.

NExt up was the all favorite Electro-fishing demonstration. Steve Klotz does an excellent job for the DNR's Lanesboro fisheries office.

He demonstrated stream and creel surveys, capturing many trout from one small hideout!
Keep that in mind next time you are wading!!
ALso, you patiently answered a large variety of questions!!! Thanks Steve for your continued help with Trout Day!!

Many new to trout fishing came and had a chance to get out and give it a go! Water levels remain quite low! Spooky trout and gin clear waters made it a bit difficult to catch. A few Pro-staff caught some dandies later in the evening!
Thanks to all who came and I look forward to next years venture!!!

At this time I want to thank those who donated product and their time!

First, thanks to Sarge and his wife for hosting FM Prostaff for camping and the good cooking! You two are excellent friends!

I want to thank:
Culvers of Rochester and my Brother Steve!!!!

DNR's Kathy Beaulieu and Steve Klotz!
Staff of Forestville Mystery Cave State Park!

Jeff Beckwith from Scenic Tackle!
Culprit baits(Tom Sawvell for hooking this up and his hand crafted jigs)!
Northland tackle company!(thanks Chirs Haley for making this connection)!
Clementson's Resort/ Rainy River!
Drake Motel!
Phil Hart/ Gateway store!
Catch'n Tackle/ Dave Hoogard!
Kris Martinson/ Rapalas!
Hooked ON fishing Bait and Tackle in Rochester!
Magnum Sports out of Chatfield,Mn!
Gander Mountain of Rochester!
Artist Micah Hanson/ Trout Print!
JA SAY TREE
Frank Delu/ Gift certificates!
Pete Riola/ Fishfever CD fly fishing videos!
Kenny Salwey
WDI Youth Programming/ custom rods

Guide Trips:
Dennis Steele, Mn River guide trip!
"Guideman" Ace Sojberg Lake Vermilion Musky/bass guided trip!
Cliff Wagenbach Lake Vermilion guided walleye trip!
Turk Gierke/Croixsippi St. Croix trip!
Scott Steil Mille Lacs guide trip!
Matt Johnson, Ice fishing trip!

Fm "Pro-staff"!

Renneberg, Surface Tension, Sarge, Uffdapete, Rick, Spindoctor, Dennis Steele, Tom Herman, Matt Johnson, Jimmy, Tie Flyer, Crappie Tom, Dark30!!!

(I'd like to thank the folks at FTTC, FOX 47,
POST BULLETIN and the Fillmore County Journal)

If I forgot someone's name please forgive me and let me know. I lost my previous list(like usual).

Trout day would not be the same with out all of everyone's help!!!

Take care

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 05-03-2004).]

I had a great time at Trout Day and cann't wait until next year!

All of those kids went home with a ton of lures!! A few really lucky kids went home with more then just lures.

It was great meeting everyone and I hope to see you down there next year.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Trout Day was a blast! A lot of people showed up to enjoy the streams, the fishing, the story telling, the electro-fishing and the fun!! My brother and I had a great time learning from the trout masters grin.gif

Here are a few pictures from the electro-fishing...

47b4db22b3127ccebda0ac9f71540000001610

47b4db22b3127ccebda0ad4731140000001610

47b4db22b3127ccebda0ad59310a0000001610

47b4db22b3127ccebda0ad5531060000001610

47b4db22b3127ccebda0adb131e20000001610

John Eggers, Renneberg, Surface Tension, my brother and myself spent saturday afternoon/evening chasing down trout, smallies and giant suckers. Watching those schools of redhorse suckers, schools as big as 50-60 fish, explode through the water as we walked up on them was quite the sight. John Eggers' spinners did the trick on all species. The gold Big Bow was my go-to lure, and to top things off I got to watch and learn from John himself smile.gif

Jim W and Sarge got into some nice trout, some as big as 22 inches! Very nice!

I'm looking forward to next year already!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Had a great time!...as usuall.
I think this year was the best yet.
It was very informative and there was something for everyone, old and young,seasoned anglers and novice alike.Sharing the sport of fishing and the outdoors was the goal of trout day and that goal was surpassed.
I really enjoyed the presentation by Kenny Salway.He had my attention the entire time.He is a captivating speaker and a great story teller with a great message.
Thanks Jim for organizing this and putting us all in touch with the sport of trout fishing and learning about the outdoors.

Anyone else have some photos to share?
I did not have my camera with.

Thanks!
See ya next year!

Jim W

Jim,
As soon as I can figure out how, I'll get several Photos up.
Please stand by.
John

AFTER ATTENDING TROUT DAY,I DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO REGISTER AND THANK EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH TROUT DAY. MY GIRLFRIEND, NIECE, AND I ALL ENJOYED THE DAY. WE APPRECIATED THE SPECIAL ATTENTION GIVEN TO ALL. SPECIAL THANKS TO SPINDOCTOR AND RENNEBURG FOR THE TRIP AND TIPS. HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT YEAR IF NOT BEFORE.LURK-NO-MORE.

GrayVee...Welcome aboard! You could not have come into a finer group than you did at trout days. Its good to see you come on deck instead of just reading. Everyone has something to offer here. Again, welcome!

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

GRAYVEE,
It was nice meeting you. Knee-high boots are fun out on the river smile.gif A little water never hurt, although I felt like was swimming a few times wink.gif Take care!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

GRAYVEE, welcome aboard FM!

It's great to hear that you and your girlfriend had a good time at Trout Day.

Hope to see both of you back next year. Hopefully the fishing will be better.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

grayvee,

Thanks not only for coming to Trout Day, but logging on! Please let me know what you thought about the day and any suggestions for next year...if there will be one.

I wish I had more time to spend with everyone who came.....and fish!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim, I just got this note to pass along to you and the staff...

Dear Fishingmn.com,
As the scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop #324 from Belle Plaine, MN., I
would like to thank all of your members that worked with the
Troutfishing Day on May 1. Our scouts enjoyed not only the opportunity
to learn about trout and how to fish for them, but actually then being
able to go out and enjoy fishing for them. Several of our scouts were
successful in catching trout. The DNR presentation of
"Electro-fishing" showed the scouts where the fish are hiding and that
there are indeed alot of fish in the streams!
The Troop also enjoyed the "River Rat Tales" and later the prizes that
everyone won. This event was not only instructive, but it also allowed
the scouts to do what most boys love to do -- fish! We would like to
come again next year with other new scouts. Once again, thankyou all
for teaching the boys about trout fishing and giving them the chance to
try their luck in a great camp and stream area.
Tim Halloran, Scoutmaster Troop #324, Belle Plaine. MN.

Dark30,

Believe it or not, you just made my Day!
I get very critical of myself and the event and more than once second guess whether or not to have it again next year! A thankyou such as that pushes me in the right direction!

That being said, I want to take the opportunity to plug next years. GEt on board people! Especially guides and sponsors of FM.

Promoting the outdoors and fishing to youth has to be the most powerful thing going, it definitely doesn't hurt to try!

Thanks Kev, for passing along the note!

Jim

Jim,
Do NOT second guess yourself or the things you do! Chelsey and myself had a great time. She and I are reading the Last River Rat book for her nighttime story - she tells everyone that we are reading it and tells everyone about the great time she had down there and she still insists that all of the stuff in her bag is hers and she is so... proud that she won it. What you and all of the others do to put this day together is wonderful, I will be attending this with her for years to come hopefully. Our children are the most important things in life to teach them how to fish and about the outdoors is very important and I commend you for all of your efforts. Keep Smiling.

Hastings Gal,

THanks for the kind words!!! It was nice to see you two down there this year!

Smiling is definitely KEY!!!

Jim W