• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Get the lead out

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've been asked by Kevin McDonald, from the Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance, a state agency dedicated to protecting Minnesota’s environment, to post the following information for all of you to take advantage of.

Anglers get the lead out at exchange events this year
St. Paul, Minnesota, April 14, 2004 — The Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance (OEA) and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) are again partnering with retailers, and conservation and outdoors groups to offer lead tackle exchanges across the state this summer. Thirty lead tackle exchange events are scheduled beginning this month. Anglers can bring lead sinkers and jigs to the event to trade for non-lead alternatives. The events are educational and not one-for-one exchanges.

“We want to offer anglers throughout Minnesota the chance to try out and compare lead-free tackle
made from non-toxic materials such as bismuth, tin, tungsten, and stainless steel,” said Kevin McDonald, coordinator of the OEA’s non-lead tackle program.

Carrol Henderson, supervisor of the DNR’s Nongame Wildlife Program, is enthusiastic about the lead exchange program. “This is an excellent opportunity for anglers who care about wildlife to try out new and improved samples of nontoxic sinkers and jigs and reduce the amount of lead being deposited in Minnesota’s lakes.”

New lead-free tackle on the market
Non-lead tackle continues to drop in price and is now competitive with lead counterparts. For
example, steel weights are priced competitively with lead and also provide added noise-making qualities. The quality of non-lead tackle is also getting better as manufacturers have improved finishing, including painting jigs with eyes and highly sought“red hooks.”

Water Gremlin, White Bear Lake, introduced several new weights that are made with bismuth to
complement their line of weights made from tin. Northland Fishing Tackle, Bemidji, introduced its first ever non-lead NaturJig made with bismuth. Fishing weights made from a composite of tungsten and plastic and featuring similar physical properties as lead were introduced this year by Flambeau Outdoors, a major manufacturer of tackle boxes. Tundra Composites, White Bear Lake, has introduced another composite, which is equal in density to lead and will be available to anglers. Even glass jigs that “glow” are now being made and sold in Minnesota.

Anglers who swap lead tackle will receive a sample packet of Bullet Weights stainless steel tackle. The packet includes a jig with an interchangeable head that can be changed without untying the line. Response to the Get the Lead Out! campaign Thousands of people exchanged over 1000 pounds of lead tackle as part of the 22 lead tackle exchanges held throughout the state in 2003. [A photo of the lead collected last year is available on our web site at www.moea.state.mn.us/sinkers .]

Survey results from the 2004 Northwest Sportshow show a high level of awareness about the dangers of lead in fishing tackle. Results show that over 90 percent of Minnesotans are willing to switch to non-lead, even if it is more expensive than its lead counterpart.

While other states have passed laws restricting the sale or use of certain types of lead tackle, Minnesota’s approach is to educate anglers about alternatives to lead tackle. The exchange events planned for this year give anglers a chance to try non-lead sinkers and jigs.

Why is lead a concern?
Lead is a toxic metal that has adverse effects on the nervous and reproductive systems of mammals and birds.

Traditionally used in fishing jigs and sinkers, this metal has been found to poison wildlife such as loons and eagles that inadvertently swallow tackle made from lead.

Schedule of events: Visit www.moea.state.mn.us/sinkers for complete details.
April 22, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.–Lafayette Park Earth Day Celebration, DNR, 500 Lafayette Rd. N., St. Paul
April 24, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.–Winona Earth Day Celebration, Lake Park
May 1, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.–Willmar Junior High, Holm Brothers Sportshop and Hardware, Willmar
May 1, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Bloomington, 9801 Lyndale Ave.
May 5, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - St Cloud, 614 Second St. S.
May 6, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Woodbury, 7150 Valley Creek Plaza
May 7, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Lakeville, 16861 Kenyon Ave.
May 8, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.–Joe’s Sporting Goods, 33 County Rd. B, St Paul
May 10, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Fridley, 250 57th Ave. NE
May 11, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Maple Grove, 8030 Wedgewood Lane
May 12, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Maplewood, 1747 Beam Ave. E
May 13, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Minnetonka, 4900 S County Rd. 101
May 14, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Forest Lake, 14640 W Freeway Dr.
May 15, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.–11th Annual Mississippi River Clean Up, Boom Island Park, Minneapolis
May 22, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.–WaterFest 2004, Phalen Regional Park, Picnic Pavilion, Wheelock Pkwy. & Arcade St.
June 4, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Hermie’s Bait, Bar & Grill, 43539 French Hill Rd., St. Peter
June 11, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.–Boathouse Sport & Tackle, 445 Lake Avenue, Fairmont
June 18, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Bemidji, 1313 Paul Bunyan Dr.
June 25, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.– Ben’s Bait Shop, Junction of Hwy 210 and 78, Battle Lake
June 26, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.–Cabela’s - Owatonna, 3900 Cabela Dr.
July 1, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Rochester, 1201 South Broadway
July 9, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.–Rapids Tackle, 1707 NW 4th Street (Hwy. 2), Grand Rapids
July 10, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.–Christopherson’s Bait and Tackle, 309 3rd Avenue, Alexandria
July 16, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.–Quality Bait & Tackle, 1210 Washington Ave., Detroit Lakes
July 17, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.–Reed’s Sporting Goods, 15840 Audubon Way, Baxter
July 17, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.–Gander Mountain - Duluth, 1307 Miller Truck Hwy.
July 22, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.–Reed’s Sporting Goods - Walker, 522 Main St., Walker
July 24, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.–Wilderness Outfitters, 1 East Camp St., Ely
July 25, 11a.m. to 3 p.m.–Minneapolis Aquatennial, Thomas Beach, Lake Calhoun
July 31, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.–Cabela’s - East Grand Forks, 210 DeMers Ave NW

The Dakota County Eco-Site and Gopher Resource Corporation recycled lead tackle collected at the 2003 events and they will again recycle lead tackle collected this year.

The OEA is a state agency dedicated to protecting Minnesota’s environment and assuring a sustainable economy
through waste prevention and resource conservation.

[Thanks Kevin for providing the information]

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BradB

• 1Yogi

• KJM

• CrappieJohn

Hello Everyone:

We'd love to see as many of you as possible at one of the 30 exchange events this season!

Please feel free to email or phone me any questions you may have about the upcoming lead tackle exchanges. My email address is

[email protected]

My phone number is 651-215-0262, or toll free 800-657-3843.

Please do peruse our web page at

moea.state.mn.us/sinkers

for more info about the events (times, addresses, etc) and for other information about the issue.

Thanks,

Kevin McDonald
OEA

I have not had the opportunity to use non-lead type of jig (at lest i don't think i have). Is there any difference as far as durability is concerned? Any thing else that might turn someone on or off in there use?

Thanks, JegerJack.

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Used a lot of the steel sinkers that i got at one of the tackle exchanges last year, I feel they are far more durable than the lead ones, they dont get dings in them when you are using them in the rocks.

------------------
a Leap year huh? sweet, an extra day of fishing!

Kevin,

Would you mind posting the scientific evidence that you have that shows that lead tackle usage in Minnesota is an environmental problem? My understanding is that the move to go to non-lead based fishing materials is based on several loon mortality studies done in the northeastern US and Canada. My understanding is also that similar studies have not been completed in Minnesota, and that there is not evidence that shows use of lead by Minnesota fishermen is having a negative impact on Minnesota’s environment. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please understand that lead’s toxicological properties are not in question, whether it comes from old pipes, paint, or sinkers in the benthic layer of Mille Lacs. Just because it is bad for humans and animals in some situations, does not necessarily mean that all uses of it are. And just because several loons have been shown to have been killed by lead, does not mean the loon population is declining or in jeopardy because of it. Cars kill deer, but we aren't proposing to ban cars. Ultimately, I’d like to understand what scientific basis MOEA is using to justify this use of our tax dollars.

Lead’s density, price, and malleability are attractive to fishermen and I need to be shown scientific evidence that its use is having a real statistical effect on wildlife before I will consider changing.

Brad

Brad, I think you are giving Kevin too much of a hard time. He is to here trying to chastise the fisherman, he is here just informing us on other alternatives, heck they are giving out samples. And as far the evidence you are looking for, I think that is what the purpose of the event is. I am, by no means, and environmentalist but I do realize that proactive action is much better than reactive.

JegerJack

------------------

I’m not trying to give Kevin a hard time, and I mean him no personal offense. I do, however, think that the program he coordinates needs to justify their expenditure of Minnesota tax dollars. If they feel that this is worth spending our tax dollars on, then they should be able to defend it on a scientific basis.

I have reviewed their website and it did not give me the data that I would need to support this effort. If it is not scientifically justifiable, then it should not be something that our tax dollars should pay for. Leave that to private advocacy groups who can fund these types of events with their own money. Or perhaps the manufacturers of unleaded tackle should pay for it to promote their own products.

Brad

To answer-Jegerjack...try cost as a deterent. As per Brad B....I side with him. They are studying fish eating birds, not mud suckers. And lead is a naturally occuring element. Why, if this stuff is such a hazard, don't they outlaw Galena, Illinois? The town is, after all, named for the lead ore which gave it rise. Why do I have a feeling that if this were looked into a bit further we'd find other motives involved as much as any derogitory influence on non- bottom feeding birds in a different part of the country? People need only to look at shotshells to see what they are in for if they start yielding to these yet-unfounded scare tactics. Iron, steel, tin, bismuth,....don't think that these materials will cost you less. Go look in the sinker section now and do some price comparisons. To help everyone understand how some of this works, try this. It is illegal to place in the ground any broken or otherwise demolished blacktop....you know, that stuff you find in every other driveway in America and half of the roadways. Why? It is carcinogenic. Causes cancer in rats. What is the difference between that in the ground and that which sits atop it? Do you suppose it causes less cancer in them rats when exposed to air? I get to visit a lot of northerm waters every summer and I have yet to see any waterfowl floating dead. I'm in Brad's camp. Bring some very creditable proof that lead is a problem in our waters, but leave fish eating birds out of the equation. I won't buy that part of the farm.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

I too would like to see the data. I myself am skeptical as to the "real" motives that are behind banning lead in everything. I don't dispute that it can cause problems but I don't see the problem being loons dieing from it. I don't see a problem of too many cormorants being killed. I just don't believe that fish eating birds injest any lead of any significance. If this program started as a pro-active lead free alternative I agree that our tax dollars shouldn't be used to fund it. If we needed this program to keep legislature from banning lead in fishing items than I'll agree with it. If that's the case I think we might have had a little buckling under the lobbying efferts of the anti's. I hope that our congressman have more kahonas than that.

I appreciate the opportunity to look into lead alternatives I just didn't know I was paying for it. What else are we paying for?

I agree w/ BradB, Crappie Tom and fivebucks. My personal opinion is that it's more political of an issue than it is an enviromental one. I feel the same way with the use of steel shot for waterfowl. It seems like the anti's are just trying to take one thing away at a time. Anytime they get the chance to make it a little more expensive on us they are going to do it, that way we don't have as much money to protect our rights aganst them. That is thier ultimate goal is to eliminate people like us. Don't anyone get me wrong here, If there was a serious or enviromental issue I'd be the 1st one to do my part. I just believe it's all political.

GRIZ

Wow ! This one certainly has quickly developed into a topic that would "fit right in" over on the Political Forum.

I do think the healthy skepticism IS HEALTHY for this issue.

W E B

I'm all for the switch. For a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is this,
Fact lead is toxic. We all know this and it does have scientific data to back it up. Now based on that fact we are dumping how many pounds of Toxic material into the water system every year? It is pretty simple to extrapolate that we are letting lead leach into our water supply by fishing with lead sinkers and jigs. How much pressure does your honey hole get? How many jigs and sinkers did you loose? Multiply that by the number of others who fish your lake.How long does it take for lead to corrode and start the process of contaminating the lake?For crying out loud I was smart enough to quit biting the sinkers onto the line when it was proven lead was toxic. This is the next logical step.
On another level I looked up the melting point of lead In a book I have on metalurgy, (the comlete metalsmith) and the melting point of tin and bismuth. Tin and bismuth melt at lower temps than lead. This means the melting pots sold to make sinkers and jigs will melt tin and bismuth. So where are the suppliers of tin and bismuth so I can make my own more inexpensivly than I can buy them?
As for thinking there are alrerior motives for Tackle Co's making the switch, I'm not going to let myself get that paranoid. If I do the next thing I'll be thinking the moon landing was a hoax and the earth is still flat. Science has proven Lead Is Toxic.
We did not inherit this earth we borrow it from our children.

1Yogi,

I have to disagree with your chemistry there. Just because lead is going into the lake does not mean that it is dissolving and going into our water supply to any meaningful level. I would assume that in most cases the lead that is lost (jigs, sinkers, etc.) is sinking into the bottom of the lake. I’m sure it dissolves to some degree there, but I’m also sure that it would take a billion fishermen a day losing a billion jigs a billion years to increase the lead concentration in the water of a tiny pond to an toxic level. The USEPA MCL for lead is 15 micrograms per liter. Do the math on how many liters are in a lake, and calculate back how many micrograms of lead that would take.

Even so, the genesis of this effort came from loons dying because they “ate” the jigs. Not because the lead concentrations in the lake were toxic.

The point I made in my original post was that no one is disputing the toxicity of lead. But to make an informed decision on issues like this, one has to understand how or if the contaminant is getting into the affected creature (humans, loons, cormorants, etc.). With that knowledge you need to look at the overall population and determine if it is a negative effect.

If you don’t like lead, you are free to use the non-toxic alternatives.

Ok all,

I will get some information for the University of Connecticut's Aquatic Toxicology department as I know someone on staff. I will report back what he know's on the subject...as he is big into fish reproduction and mercury/heavy metal concentrations.

Crappie, what question are you answering of mine, "try cost as a deterrent"? I was not asking any questions all I was stating is that before everyone jumps on someone for doing or believing anything else that you do not believe in, investigate a bit further.... Where is your proof that it is not dangerous "I have yet to see any dead bird floating in the water" and "this is more political that an environmental", your doing the same thing that you are accusing Kevin with. Where is your evidence, if you really believe that this is not a good program that it is a waste of tax dollars, go to the event. Listen to what they have to say, ask them for there scientific evidence, then come back to me or post how you feel that this is a waste time and tax dollars. Understand, at this point I agree with you that it is not as big of an issue as the environmentalist make it out to be. I will continue to use my lead jigs and lead shot when I hunt private land. Thanks Hammer...

JegerJack

------------------

Just a quick question. I beleive that they have proven that Loons in the Northeast are dieing of lead poisoning. I read an article in Minnesota Sportsman that documented the evidence. Is it such a stretch to believe that it is not happening here? Both areas use the same fishing tactics (lead sinkers and jigs) and they both have Loons.

I am not trying to tell anyone what to use or how to spend there money I am just curious?

I have decided I am going to try not to buy lead any longer. I am not sure how much more it will cost me this year but I have to believe that it not be much.

FM Family,
This issue is like walking a "tight-rope" for me! I just hope there is a net down there... just in case I fall here!
But, I am part of this lure-biz so... here goes.

Some years back I began to see the lead issue approaching. Most mfg's I spoke to called it "knuckleing under" to go with no lead alternatives.
I began to think of how it might affect me, as a lure maker should legistation pass restricting lead products.
Like many, many others in the industry, I chose to take a "wait and see" attitude on the subject of making any change. After all, I had a lead spoons on the market!

Recently, I saw that Water Gremlin (maker of split-shot and weights) took the step to Bismuth.
After much serious thought, I approached Rich Smith (Bio-Bait Co. owner) about his making an alternative to lead jigs and dart head.
Rich, who is a a very "nature friendly" kind of guy... from the get-go, agreed with my view.
We both feel that it is time to offer alternative products.
Rich started Safe Jigs Co, and beagn to provide heads to me for my testing. Catch-N Tackle now has the distribution for the Safe Jig product line. This line not only has a bismuth round head jig, it also has a bismuth dart head.
47b4da01b3127ccebd6cb72a85d70000001610

47b4da01b3127ccebd6cb6e944bc0000001610

Rich's reason for the dart is that there is a extremely huge following for using shad-dart style heads for walleyes... back East.
Why?
They do not track straight and react more irratic on a drift and in moving water. Darts have a unique action.
Rich has built 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 round heads in two high-glow colors (glow flame red and chartreuse) and 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 "Glow Dart" heads in the same two glow colors.

The round head design of the Safe Jig Glow Ball is unique. It has a slight "bulge" at the eyes (which are painted two colors with double dots) that bulge holds a bit more weight. The bulgeed-out eyes add the additional material that is needed to compensate for the loss of weight in the bismuth construction.... compaired to lead. This weigh loss ratio has been one of the "issues" in using bismuth over lead by most "serious" jig fishermen.
Rich also went with a more expensive red colored VMC hook to add value and promote more interest in these jig heads and darts.

I applaud Rich for taking his stand and for offering these alternative to lead jig products, as I also am thrilled that 4 Seasons Sports in Redwing has seen reason to carry these products, as a full line Safe Jig dealer. They have the full Catch-N Tackle line.
Seen below is a Glow Dart dressed inside a Kick-N Craw... unique in application and a new presentation I thought of to promote the non-lead lure in Minnesota... lota of creyfish here!
47b4da01b3127ccebd6cb684c5e10000001610

Here too is another unique application... reverse rigging!
47b4da01b3127ccebd6cb75685ab0000001610

These lure combinations I have tested with success and promote such to aid in selling the non-lead alternative heads.
After all... dressed inside plastics, why would weight ratios be any issue?

You can see these Safe Jig products at
http://catch-n.com/rigging.html

You are able to purchase these Safe Jigs also.... right here at FishingMinnesota through Catch-N Tackle. And yes... your purchases done there will help FM pay its bills.

Are they spendy? No... considering they are a specialty jig head done with premimum high-glow paint and super sharp red VMC hooks.

Catch-N Tackle asks that you invite your local bait shop to contact us to carry the Safe Jig line, as well as other Catch-N Tackle products. You may contact me at 507.202.0312 for information or visit www.catch-n.com.

Thank you Rick for this post and for allowing me to "plug" these non-lead products here on FM.

I would LOVE to save some loons...
but I sure would like to do away with a few zillion commorants!
smile.gif
Just kidden!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 04-20-2004).]

This is what I got from the University of Connecticut.

"Wildlife are exposed to the Pb mostly by two
different pathways. First, they are shot with it (i.e., ducks). The Pb
shot will slowly dissolve inside the body and levels of Pb in blood
will be high. Pb is a neurotoxin. Second is that they (fish or birds)
swallow the lead shot or sinkers. I think this is mostly a potential
problem for waterfowl, especially those species that use their bill to
rake around in the muck for food. It's also possible for some muck-loving
fish to do the same (e.g., carp)
Other species of fish could be exposed by swallowing sinkers--jig heads
come to mind. Pb sinkers or shot that is swallowed will dissolve fast in
the gut, because it is acidic. The some of the dissolved Pb (ionic Pb,
or Pb2+) will cross the membrane of the gut and get into the blood
stream. However, most injested Pb, I suspect, is excreted because heavy
metal ions don't readily cross phospholipid membranes (i.e., gut), which
are lipophilic. Metals ions are lipophobic.

I don't think that simple waterborne exposures to Pb (from sinkers
dissolving as they sit in the sediments) pose any threat to wildlife."

I guess this this doesn't offer sufficient evidence, but there is certainly scientific evidence here to question the validity of the statement that lead kills.

Ill make the switch to non lead tackle. Not all at once but when I need new weights Ill most likely try to get non lead. I have not seen the price difference on lead/nonlead sinkers but I couldnt see it being a big difference, and seeing how much money I spend on tackle already a few extra dollars wont be a big deal.

I dont get it. It seems like some of the guys here are more worried about a plastic bag in the water or a 2x4 left on the ice than a toxic substance left in the water.

If they offer a "fair exchange" I'm all for it.

Admittedly I have mostly lead sinkers, altough I have used steel shot and haven't noticed a big diffrence in split shot anyways. Personally I'm up for atleast replacing my spitshot but lead in larger "bell" sinkers does tend to seem to make a difference, and thus are a lot harder for something (or someone) to swallow. Same goes for most jigheads.

However Split shot presents dangers to Humans as well. Come on admit it, we all have used our teeth at some point in time to close a lead split shot when no pliers was handy, right? If it slips off the line and down your throat, then what? Also smaller sinkers are prime targets for kids and pets as well.

And split shot, lead or steel is still fairly inexpensive. You only again notice the difference in price and performance in larger weights.

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 04-20-2004).]

I have to admit, this one has me thinking too. At first I thought--Cool, if I switch to a lead subsitute, at least I can get something for the tackle I already have. Then, like some other members stated, my brain started to question the motivation. I will be making the switch, just because I believe that in the very, very distant future, today's use of lead may be a health issue. On the other hand, I guess you could call me paranoid, because I think that there is or will be a catch that will end up hurting the average sportsman, and benefitting corporate America, and/or the state and federal goverment.

------------------
Fish on gotta go--JON

Tin and lead substitutes are lighter specificly tin by about 1/3 than lead. They are also more dificult to remove from the mold because of there tensil strenght and or hardness compared to lead. Tin costs about $8.00 a pound and is available at a pewter casting supply store in ST. Louis Pk.
I will forward links and an e-mail I got from Do-It Molds to any and all who are interested. Shoot me an Email. Will also include the suppliers Link.

Again, no one is arguing here that lead is not a toxic substance. This fact is well documented. The questions you have to ask yourselves (at least I do) are:

(1) Is there sufficient scientific evidence to support a transition from lead-based to non-toxic fishing tackle due to its impact on waterfowl and in particular loons.

For me, unless I am shown data to the contrary, the answer is no.

(2) Should Minnesota taxpayers be supporting a government office (MOEA) that is promoting this cause?

Again, my answer is no. Private advocacy groups and non-toxic tackle manufacturers should do this. Not our government.

Each angler can come to his or her own conclusion. The use of alternative tackle should be your choice as a consumer. I do not think it is the place of government, however, to promote this change unless they can support the need on scientific grounds.

Years ago I read an article in which one of the ammo manufacturers was experimenting with uranium as a replacement for lead shot. Uranium is denser than lead, is apparently abundant from the processing of nuclear fuel, and might make a great substitute for lead in a variety of applications - including jigs and sinkers.

I can see the marketing now:

"Don't just catch fish - nuke 'em!"
"U for You!"

As a follow-up, I wrote a letter to one of the major manufacturers of consumer ammunition and inquired about whether or not these types of products would be safe, and available in the future. The reply was one of the most telling letters I have ever read. They thanked me for my interest, told me that they had concluded the uranium products could be produced cheaply and safely, posed no threat to the environment that they could find, but would not be produced or marketed.
Their market research showed that the mere mention of the word "uranium" meant the product would be controversial, and probably land them in court. End of story.

I too question whether lead sinkers and jigs are a real problem or not. I wonder if bad press is as much a factor in the current push to "get the lead out". I would like to see some research. Either yesterday or the day before the newspapers had a story of how the loon population in Minnesota was stable.

What is the truth? Or are the decisions to be made on feelings, market research, etc.?

Right now, as you read this, someone is dying from alcohol in one form or another and nicotine in one form or another.The government is doing little to eliminate these "toxins" from our daily environment. Until they do get these removed, they can stuff this lead issue in their knickers and nether regions just beyond! When evidence comes rolling in that thousands and thousands of these loons are croaking from lead, then they still have got to prove that it is from fishermen's tackle. Remember now...loons eat fish and their bills are NOT suited to dabbling in mud.And lead sinks. There is more to this issue than just lead!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

I'm with Crappie Tom and the others on this one. That's All grin.gif

Wondering if I put enough Uranium in my boat would it GLOW? and would the Glowing Atract Fish? and would the DNR ticket me for using a Glowing Boat? grin.gif

Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

I wonder? Just how many jigs are on the bottom of the river between dam #4 and Hay creek? I have certainly left my share in the last 30 years! The loon/lead thing? I have a hard time believing lead has made that much of an impact on the Loon population. The fishing industry isn't the first to be attacked on the lead issue! Remember lead based paints? Gone!! My issue is that we as sportsmen need to protect our environment for the future generations. It is never to late to start.
We have to take care of Mother Nature or she will certantly take care of us!!

Mostly opinion and some fact.

Rich
PSD Catch-N-Tackle/Bio-Bait

In my first post I never dicussed the fact that lead was killing waterfowl Loons in particular. I stated a well documented fact and asked some questions. Question my "Chemistry" if you choose but the fact remains that lead is Toxic. So again I ask,
Since lead is Toxic does it make environmental sense to keep using it in this application?
How much lead is lost in the water supply by people using it as sinker and jig material?
How much lead does it take to contaminate a 1000 acre lake?
How many years will it take for all the lead we loose to make a 1000 acre lake too toxic for wildlife to be supported?
Since all the Scientific data is not available to answer some or all of these questions we are left with the basic fact that lead is toxic. The razor principle dictates that finding an alternative to a Toxic substance is the best course of action.
Who among you is willing to spin the wheel to see which future generation has to deal with the mess we created before they were born? My conscience tells me to buy CatchnTackle or make my own jigs and sinkers with nontoxic material. And promote others to do the same. Thats my conscience, I've said my piece, now let your conscience be your guide.