• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fried Minnows

Anyone ever tried em? A crick by my house had some in which I dipped out. An older lady that lived next door said she'd give me a buck if I'd get enough for a meal. So I did and she invited me over for dinner too. Didn't clean em scale em even take heads off just rolled them in flour and fried. Were pretty tasty by the way.

GRIZ

I have often wondered if those big spring run shiners would be any good if they were cooked like smelt.

Never tried shiners just fatheads. Give it a whirl let me know how they taste.

GRIZ

P.S. I love smelt

I'd rather eat the BIG white mint! rolleyes.gif

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-16-2004).]

LAARS

Never tried that. Maybe we should start sometype of contest? Had live crawlers for a snack though. I'd be game for a contest if you or anyone else is interested? Anyone?

GRIZ

A minnow in your buddies chilli goes down real easy. Especialy after the fishing is done and your sitting around the camp fire having a few. grin.gif

When I was a kid, I knew this older Phillippino guy that immigrated to the U.S.A. after WWII. I hung around with his kid. He worked at the Waikiki Room at some hotel down town. He was a dynomite bass fishermen, a dead shot bird hunter, and a super cook. I tasted, what to me, was some weird stuff at their house, some of it good and some of it not so good! He had a jar of what looked like dried out crappie minnows on the table and he used to soft boil eggs and dip these little minnows in the yolk. One day his kid talked me into trying some and to this day, I can still remember that the little minnow was by far, the nastiest tasting thing I had eaten up to that time! By comparison, they made Cod Liver Oil taste like a bite of birthday cake! I think I will pass on the minnies unless I'am in the survival mode...oh, by the way, it may interest you to know that
those minnies, chubs anyways, carry tapeworms and ingesting the intrails of dried out, or somehow uncooked minnows, might subject you to some viable tapeworm
larvae, among other things!

Minnows have tape worms? Don't tape worms cause you to lose weight? Where can I get some of those minnows? I want to start a new diet fad and become rich.

------------------
Be fishers of people.
You catch, He cleans

Minnows like smelt are better used as BAIT! I've had all the smelt I'll ever want to eat, and that was over 30 years ago. Lost in the wilderness for 30 days I'm sure the minnows would taste just fine, but until that happens...........

L M Ray,
All you have to do first is convince the FDA and you'll have some investors on your side.

Also, to the tapeworm comment: I am scared about that too. I haven't even had sushi more than once!
Gene

I've never tried a fried minnow, but when I was in college I gulped enough to place second in the minnow eating contest. The trick ---Drink lots of beer.

Why stop there? Throw in some larvae, leeches and night crawlers for extra flavor.

[This message has been edited by crabby (edited 04-21-2004).]