• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat mtrs, Yamaha or Johnson

What do you guys prefer. Im getting a 04 Lund with a 50 hp, they said same price just pick. Only Differance is a 5 year Warranty on the Johnson, 3 on the Yamaha.

Thanks, Chad.

I have a 115 Johnson two storke, and I can't say anything bad about it, never had any problems. It a 2002. Yam. is also a good motor from what I've heard I just perfur a Johnson. Good Luck.

Here is the deal. I picked up my new boat today. I was so happy to actually bring it home, that I didnt notice that it had a Johnson Motor on it instead of the Yamaha like I wanted. It also just doesnt look right, a white motor on this dark boat. When I called them tonight they said they will work it out, Im sure they will. I guess if it was grey I wouldnt worry about it, I'm sure its a fine motor, it just doesnt look good on the boat. Do you guys agree?

The picture is kind of misleading with the white trailer behind it, but you get the point.

Thanks, Chad.
viewfile.cfm?files=boatmtr%2EJPG

[This message has been edited by Chad711 (edited 04-15-2004).]

Hi Chad...

SWEET rig!!!

I've had both flavors you mentioned on my current boat. A 1997 Lund Angler SS. Very much like the Explorer. The first was a Johnson 60 that came with the package back in 1997. It was a good motor up until the time the oil pump went out, as well as the no oil warning system. Needless to say, my motor puked over 10 miles from the dock. And when I say puked, it literally roasted two of the three cylinders in a split second, before I could shut her down. No beeps, whistles or sirens. Just a loud dry raspy sound for about a quarter second, followed by dead silence. And all this from a well maintained, two year old motor. A fluke disaster....maybe. Or maybe not from what I've heard.

Enter the Yamaha... Bought in Canada to save what was left of the trip with my Dad. This motor has been a joy to own. No problems what so ever. It's a bit more thirsty than the old 60, but every bit as smooth and then some. According to my trolling speedo, she trolls down to less than 1mph. Space and time do not permit me to go on and on about how I much I like this motor.

To sum things up, being a dyed in the wool OMC fan for many years, did I get the one bad apple? Nevertheless, I switched camps and will never go back.

Have fun with which ever motor you choose!!!

[This message has been edited by Moose-Hunter (edited 04-15-2004).]

I love my Yamaha and would get that on your boat. I agree a white motor does look funny on that dark boat.

Johnson and Suzuki are the same motor. Just different paint. Ask them to exchange it for a black suzuki.

Just a thought.

Looks good to me, got a johnson now and have had 5 and never had a problem, I know the older 60hp's had alot of troubles other than that not many, you can get a lemon in any brand, yamaha is a great motor also, actually they are all pretty good now day's you gotta go with what you want, if you don't like the white Johnson have them fix the problem or maybe negotiate with them. Man you got it bad, so excited did not notice the motor till you got home ROTF.

By the way is that a 4-srtoke or a e-tec 2-stroke, those new e-tec's are sweet motors, more power than the 4-stroke, just as effiecient and quiet and troll down even more than a 4-stroke believe it or not, that is what I would get but I certainly am not you, nice boat, LUND is #1 in my eye's can't afford a Ranger yet though

[This message has been edited by alwayscatchineyes (edited 04-15-2004).]

A 90 horse four stroke yamaha would look very, very nice on the transom of that boat. That's a fair amount of boat to push with just a 50.

First off, I bet I can guess what dealership you bought it at from their little snafu. If it's CP, Good luck, it won't be their last.

Thing about the Johnson/Evinrude, is it isn't the motor of long ago. Supposedly when Bombardier bought them out 3 years ago, they made signifigant changes in parts to make the motors last longer. I had a black 2001 Johnson 115 that made me swear I'd never buy another. Just traded the bass rig in for a 620VS with a 225HO Evinrude, and the thing runs SWEEEEET! Sounds like you have a little bear sleeping under the cover. & I got 7 years warranty. You think they'd offer that if they thought they were going to have to fix it.
Also, look at the warranties. ALL manufacturers warranties are declining EXCEPT Johnson & Evinrude.
I don't think they make the new Johnsons in anything other than white, I'd ask about the Evinrude.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

Yes, I did get it at CP. Ill be headed there in the morning to get the Yamaha. A 90 HP would be nice I agree, but ya gotta start somewhere smile.gif

Yes the Johnson is a 4stroke, thanks for the feedback, Chad.

[This message has been edited by Chad711 (edited 04-23-2004).]

I have owned yamaha for 10 years now and with all the hours I put them through not once has it let me down. my new boat this year has the 90 last year I had the 100 hp four stroke I just dont know that you can go wrong with a yamaha
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Had a yamaha once 70 hp. Brand new 1st day out thing blew up approx. 45 seconds of use. Oil injecters didn't work. Took it back to them to get it fixed, guy at shop was nice and fixed it. Guess what Yamaha wouldn't back it, said it was a user problem? The guy at the shop that sold it to me did back it though, and he no longer sells yamahas.

My $.02

GRIZ

P.S. Because of thier warranty policies I will only use a yamaha as an ancor!!! It did run fine after that, but am sure glad someone stood behind thier defect.

Chad, I just baught a Johnson 40 horse 4 stroke. What pursuaded me to go Johnson was the EFI for one thing, the extra warranty helped also and I have always been a omc person or now Bombardier. I don"t want to second guess you but your motor looks like a 4 stroke to me. Looks exactly like mine. That motor sure runs nice. gilby

I was in the same "boat" a couple of years ago when I bought my boat, same decision Johnson vs. Yamaha. I did a little research and on the two I was deciding between (both 115 two strokes) the displacement was about 33% higher on the Johnson. For the same price I get out of the hole with just a little more power. My 2001 115 two stroke has never given me a problem.

Norsky is right, you will be quite a bit under the outboard rating. I believe you are rated at around 115-125 for that boat with a console. With a tiller you'd be about right pushing it with a 50, you may have trouble out of the hole with an SC, but should be okay from there. It's a beautiful rig!! Congrats!!

As for the motor discussion, I have only owned Merc and can't help you with your decision!

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

[This message has been edited by Matt Breuer (edited 04-18-2004).]

it is a good idea to get the max rated motor for your rig.
johnson vs yamaha, well if both motors had the same retail, no problem since both motors are very good. I would think the yamaha was a little higher priced than the johnson, since evenrude is bombediers best motor.
I have a yamaha 175, and have been very pleased with this motor. I have owned mercury, mariner, evinrude, johnson, and yamaha outboards, and all have been good.

I have not owned a Johnson but I have owned a Merc and a Yammy. I will have to say that by my experience my yammy has by far exceeded the merc in about every category. It has run flawlessly and I LOVE IT! Opps sorry that last part slipped out.

Nice rig.

Happy Fishing smile.gif
Chev

Chad: Mighty nice rig!!!! You make me jealous. That seems like an awful lot of boat for a 50 horse. Consider, 3 people, all your gear, full fuel tank, livewells full, a full cooler, and your batteries. To me it seems under powered. Please understand that I am not being critical, I think that is a great rig. I had a Johnson 35hp tiller on a S-16 Deluxe Lund for 20 years and never one problem. I just traded my 70hp Yamaha {1992} for a 2003 75hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I have been happy with all of them. Good luck with your decision.

Hey fellas, I was gone for the weekend. I dropped the boat off Friday and it "seems" like they will make it right. I talked to Dave at Corner Sports, he seems to be a nice guy. There was just a misunderstanding between us. Sounds like the worse case scenario is that I will have to pay a few bucks for the rigging, but there is a $300 rebate right now for the Yamaha.

As for the size of the engine, 90 is the max rating for the SS. Im fine with the 50.

Here's my .02

Sweet boat.....You may be giddy now, but a year from now will you be happy??? Maybe!!! Maybe not!!!!

I would never go below 80% of the recommended horse power rating. For your boat that would be a 75 h.p.

Hope you don't regret it...but I guess you can always trade up.

------------------
Paul
Drake Motel

[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors
JR's Tackle
Lakemaster Lake Maps

90 Hp Yamaha is being rigged this week. An extra 2K but worth it, from what you all have said AND a few other fishing buds.

Anyone know if Yahaha is giving a rebate on these motors right now?

You will love that 90! That is the exact package I have been pricing out for 2 years.
If ya dont mind could you male me and tell me what it set ya back? walleyes4me32 at aol dot com

I agree with paul waldowski- you are really under powering that boat-something that every one I have talked to regrets. It may also hurt resale if you decide to sell it at some point. If you are only going to fish small lakes and know that you will keep it for a long time I guess it may be ok for you