• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morels

simplefish

O.k. so they're not fish. But they sure taste good with 'em. Just a quick question: Is it too early to look for the little buggers? I live in Anoka, MN and am new to the hunt for the elusive shroom. So if anyone has any tips to help me out, not spots mind you, just generic tips to help me get on the right track, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance.
-Mike

It's probably a little early yet to be looking for morels. They usually put in an appearance around Mother's Day. Another thing I like to watch for is when you can first see a little purple appearing on your lilac bush. Dead elm trees are almost a sure thing for finding morels. Especially the ones where the bark is just beginninng to fall off. I'm just crazy for those rooms. Bon appetit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are the best type of places to look for them? Low areas or high areas or how about river bottoms, sunny or shaded?
Thanks

curly-The best place to start looking for them is the south facing side of a hill. This is generally the first area in which they will appear. When they first start to appear it's usually about the time that there is a fair amount of ground cover sprouting in the woods. I like to carry a long, dead stick with me when I'm looking for these elusive little buggers. With the stick, I can gently turn aside the ground cover to find where they are hiding. I could swear those morels know how to hide. Another good place to look is along side dead, rotting logs. It's also a good idea to look near areas that have a fair amount of moisture.

------------------
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!