• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Old-Timer Tip

Patio, Who do you know? If I'm not mistaken, my "Lifetime" subscription was $100 and I received 3 (yes, count them 3) issues, and they're still in the plastic bag! Guess they had to pay their bills somehow. Why not stick it to their loyal subscribers! 2dalake, Yep, I do. Just what is OLD to you? That mag ONLY went under 20 years ago! I also remember when the Cabela Bros sold dry flies by mail through magazine ads! Good flies ,too!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2dalake

• waterwolff

• friendlyfisher

• huskiesplayer15

When the Walleye chop exceeds 3-1/2 to 4 feet, I like to say," I don't hate fish THAT bad."

Uncle: kept rubbers in the tackle box for luck

Ya well at least he told you it was for luck. Some of my buddies won't fish in their new boats until they "break it in" -- there's another tip for ya.

"When the fishing is slow, its slow. But when the fishing is good, is when you go look for new spots."

It's good luck to keep the first fish, no matter what it is.

"What?...Just callin' the fish."

I've also been told that eating onions or peppermints bring good luck fishing. confused.gif

[This message has been edited by M.T. Bucket (edited 04-10-2004).]

So does filling the gas tank, spilling some on your hands, having a cigar, eating an egg sandwich then touching your crankbait and giving it a wail, I hear the fish love that smell, who needs garlic?
Best Fishes
Chris

When you catch a small fish spit some whiskey in its mouth. when it goes to tell his mom that there are people tring to catch fish, she will smell boose on his breath and will not believe him.

My Grandpa would say when the lilacs are a bloomin the fishing will be a boomin

"When the oakleaves are the size of a squirrels ear, it's time to go fishin' for bass".
As told to me by a dear old friend.
I miss you Melvin.

My dad always said "You have to catch weeds to catch fish" when I was reluctant to toss my line out when trolling to close to the lilypads, reeds, etc...

He also said "You always catch a fish On the Turn"

Country music or the Twins game playing on the radio always increased our luck...

Phred,

I was still in high school when that mag folded, so it's old to me. I didn't bite on that lifetime offer, sounded too good to be true, and it was.

Just another piece of good advice from my dad.

Anybody who keeps rubbers in a tackle box full of hooks for luck probably has plenty of kids to pass advice on to!!

grin.gif That was a good one 2dalake

Thats why I have 4

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 04-11-2004).]

My dad always said "when someone asks where you caught the fish just tell them in the roof of the mouth, dummy" Boy did that change after I got my first boat, my dad would not talk to me for weeks when I started to tell him that.

You're not drunk until you **** your pants and I've only been drunk twice.

Wait...oops...wrong advice journal....

You'll never catch anything with your line in the boat!

------------------
"Jack of all trades...master of none"

... which leads to, "no, kid. fa@%ts aren't sposed to be wet."

Best advice: If you want to keep a secret, don't tell anyone.

sitting on a weedline just nailing the walleyes "Well ya wanna try somwhere else"

WHY??? This is awesome!!

"Well we aready know we can catch them here, might as well see if we can find them anywhere else"

OK Whatever..... then to try about 10 other spots and just to hear, "well guess they were just biting at that first spot, well lets call it a day"

JS

Tie a balloon to a fish and let it go, it will lead you to the school...... grin.gif

sorry, I couldn't resist.

"If you die today, you don't fish tomorrow".

------------------
The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!

I.B.O.T. # 144
Boundry Waters Chapter

A beer drinker once said. "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."

"How are you going to catch any fish, if you are f******* around in the minnow bucket!!"

That was when I was a little one. Grampa always used to say, "Prescott spinner and a pork chunk is all you need"....excellent advice. Gratefull for them teaching me everything they know!!

Take it from an ol timer myself..."women, you can't liff wit dem and yous can't shoot em.".......... Der is a fine line between genious and madness!