• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Old-Timer Tip

O.K. I admit, I really don't have one. My Dad wasn't much of a fisherman(loved watching him reel that spinning reel upside down and backwards), but he did build the cabin on the Gunflint Trail, buy the boat, drive the family up there every weekend in the summer, build the cabin again after it burned down, and let me discover on my own. Honestly, I learned most of what I know(or don't know, as my fishing partners would concur) from fishing mags.

What's the best tip you learned from an Old-Timer(maybe your even one yourself now, eh)?

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2dalake

• analyzer

• 98prosport

• friendlyfisher

When I was younger and didn't know better my uncle said to troll at 14'. No real particular spot, just troll at 14'. Boy did we nail them little pike.

Grandpa used to know the best spot to dig for worms!

if you see horse tail (shaped) clouds today, its gonna be windy tomorrow!

Keep your finger on the line and dont lip those Northerns! Where your life vest when moving and dont drink in my boat. Pass the Copenhagen! grin.gif

Keep your rod tip up.
Walleyes are always in 18 ft. of water.
Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if he kept his mouth shut.
Early to bed, early to rise, .....

If the wind is from the east the fishing is the least. If the wind is from the west the fishing is the best.

and...

Wind from the south blows the bait in the fishes mouth.

Wind from the north, stay at the resort.

Don't run on the dock! I have never walked as fast in my life as I do on a dock.

-Hossienda

"If you don't catch 'em with a Mepps, you don't catch 'em."

AND as far as weather goes: We have disproved that "wind from the east, fishing is the least" many times, so we think the old-timers kind of missed it on that one.
But we do believe in "Red sky at night, sailor's delight/Red sky at morning, sailor's warning".
Gene

"Are you fishin or talkin?" is my dad's favorite line. However, my mom does very good and she talks alot. Her fish are the suicidal ones Dad says grin.gif. Keep Smiling.

Mt Dad: Are you trying to catch flying fish? Keep your line in the water!

My Grandpa taught me to tip my crawler with corn for bluegill on the deep weed edge.

My uncle taught me to be careful that you grabbed your own can of pop in the boat(he chewed Copenhagen).

I learned everything else from watching fishing shows and reading Fins and Feathers. Anybody remember that old magazine?

I think it's "wind from the north, fisherman dare not go forth"

My grandfather always washed his hands with a minnow before starting to fish. And when he tied his knot on the hook, always the palomar, he would wet the knot before cinching it tight.
And always, ALWAYS kiss the first fish.

"You're here to fish-you can sleep/swim/shop/eat/go to church/etc. when you get home".

How about "The bigger the bait the bigger the fish".

Good stuff. Funny stuff("washing" your hands with a minnow?).

Keep 'em comin'

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

No, we are not going to try another lake, If they are not bitting in this lake then they are not bitting in any lake.

From my dad as we leave the lake after not catching much at all, "well, you can't say we didn't try"

Ya, I remember Fins and Feathers. They got me for the $82 "life time subscription" ...............about three monthes before they went under. I really hate dishonest people.
My advise... don't buy "life time subscriptions" to magazines
And from my dad: "if it sounds too good to be true.....it probably is"
We live, we learn, we fish

Cheers

Spit on your night crawler.
Spray WD-40 on your leech. (pollution)
Hamburger meat as bait for cats.
Dog poop for bait on carp --Anybody wanna eat some carp?

Kind of like grannys..... "Make sure you pee downwind and make sure you are facing out the boat...."

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Pat McManus:

Your limit is all you can catch plus one fish.

"Skunked? Must not have held your mouth right."

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.