• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Your Favorite Fishing Knot?

What's your favorite knot to tie? Mine is the Crawford or otherwise known as the Figure 8 knot. This knot has been one of the easiest and strongest I'ved used. Let's hear some others and their uses.

Bruce

I like the polomar for tieing my lures on. the blood knot is handy too.

Polomar is rated as the strongest knot out there and is very simple to tie

Palomar knot!!!!!!!

Best one knot ever invented by fisherman. (IMO)

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I learned the improved clinch knot as a kid. It's been good to me and I could tie it in the dark with oven mitts on if I had to. grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I snell hooks.

I second, third and forth the polomar knot, even for fireline or whatever line I'm using. Thanks Hank Parker fishing show when I was a kid!

Clinch knot by far the best for me, I use it on Fireline, braided and mono... next the Palomar.

I like the palmor as well but i have found the rapala loop knot very goo when using cranks.
><>deadeye

I'm with you guy..Palomar seems to be the strongest and best. Trilene knot has slipped a few times in the past on me.

Probably don't need another recommendation for the palomar, but a friend of mine once did a test with all of the knots that he could find using the same fishing line and a scale. The palomar had the highest breaking strength of them all. That's all I use.

Not sure if anyone has heard of this special knot but it is called a "Palomar" knot.

The Spook

There is this one knot that I've been using for years now. Real simple to tie and real strong. Never knew the name of it though.

Figured I'd do a search of this Palomar knot you all speak of. Ah-Hah, thats it. Thats my knot. Guess it isn't my secret little knot anymore.

I use an improved clinch knot for little hooks and jigs when a doubled line won't go thru the eye(for a polomar), but I've had some knot failures with it . What do you guys use for the little ones? I've also tried running the line thru, then back again to get it doubled, but my fingers aren't real dexterous for that stuff. Polomar is great for for everything else I use.

I just looked up this Palomar knot. Boy, does that look simple. I think I have a new way to tie my hooks on! Does it work for jigs, cranks and spinners too?

------------------
It still beats workin'

Looks like the Polomer is the most popular.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by Tofishem (edited 04-07-2004).]

I snell my own hooks and use the clinch knot, has not failed me yet. Been tying it for more years than I can remember.

O

does anyone know where I could find diagrams of differn't types of nots?

ogre....just do a search.....type in fishing knots......you'll get all the info and diagrams you need.....welcome to the board and good fishing!!

Clinch or improved clinch on light mono.
Palomar on heavey mono or fire line.
Snell for bait rigs.
Surgeons or blood to join two lines.
Bunny ears on shoe laces....

[This message has been edited by Suzuki (edited 04-08-2004).]

The improved clinch knot is my go to knot. I learned it when I was a wee lad, and I can do it in the dark when it's below zero(not that it's fun to do under those conditions mind you). I am, however, working on my Palomar knotting skills as I believe it is a superior knot, especally where superlines are concerned.

One thing with the Palomar, I never double the line and run it thru the eyelet. Thin or thick line, I run it thru the eye once and then back again; this effectively doubles the line without me having to "stuff" the bight through the eye.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, even if he wants to learn them.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!