• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best short trips from south east metro?

Hi all...

I moved to Eagan last fall and I'm buying a house in Lakeville in May. So now I'm out of my element. I used to live in Fargo so a quick evening trip to Detroit Lakes/Ottertail/etc was easy.

Now I need to find lakes that are close by for those afternoons I leave work early. The fiancee would like a good lake to hang out on and just bring friends too - and I wouldn't mind knowing a good fishing lake or two.

Any takers? I don't know the area at all.

Holland lake isnt too bad. Lots of small panfish and decent rainbows and brown trout until the water heats up a bit. Crystal lake can be good too.

You are real close to the Mississippi (pool 2) and not too far from the St Croix and Pool 4.

Welcome to the Metro,
Being in Lakeville I would have to vote for the MN river. But there is Crystal, Marion, Prior to name a few and any of these waters should get you on some good fishing.

Good luck

Sounds good so far. I don't know a thing about river fishing and navigation so that could be a learning experience for me.

What's with the "pools" on the Mississippi? Are these just basically big lakes where the river is wide?

No,and yes.They are areas next to the lock and dams,well anything north of Lake Pepin.
Lots of areas to fish with adjacent backwaters.Just look for the warmest water.
Also you could try Spring on the south end of Prior.Going SW, theres Waconia,Steiger,Parley,Riley and basically there is alot of water areas within a 50 mile radius of the SE metro areas.
You may also want to invest in The twin cities fishing guide by Sybil Smith.That way you have many lakes to chose from,their depths and where to fish for whatever species your after.

Good Luck!

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-06-2004).]

There are a lot of great lakes in the south metro for just about anything. I ran out at 3:00 this afternoon and had fun with some nice crappies. I kept 7 that were all 11" and release 3 that were bigger. The lake I fished is in Lakeville, 10 minutes from my house. We will have to hook up to give you a few tips on the area.

Marion in Lakeville has good Northern action, especially in the winter. In the summer you can also get some northerns and some pretty big largemouth in there too, although I dont target bass very often. The DNR says it has a few walleyes, but they are nearly impossible to find from my experience. Trolling weedlines with just about any bait should get you some Northerns. Target areas near deeper water, on the outside weedline in the 8-12 foot range throughout summer. The panfish in Marion are are small. The lake gets very crowded on weekends, making fishing nearly impossible. Prior lake has an even better Largemough population, and some people on here talk often about catching walleyes, but I never seem able too. Orchard Lake in Lakeville is a nice little bass lake, with some decent crappies and there is tiger muskies also. You also could try Spring or Cedar lakes just south of Prior Lake for better panfish action. Or on hot weekend days, just go sit in Candy Cove in Prior Lake, forget the fishing and go bikini watching.

I used to live in Lakeville until last summer.

The lakes around Faribault are nice - lots of variety, not very crowded (especially at the accesses) relative to Metro lakes. Cannon, Cedar, Mazaska, Shields, etc.

Also, I like going to Lake Pepin. Good scenery. Good fishing.

I second the Faribault area for you, especially when you move to Lakeville. French and Roberds can't be more than about 25 minutes from there, with the others mentioned above being not much further. Just straight down I35 to the Faribault exit. All the lakes are to the west of town.

------------------
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"
-Captain Quint (Jaws)

I second the Faribault area for you, especially when you move to Lakeville. French and Roberds can't be more than about 25 minutes from there, with the others mentioned above being not much further. Just straight down I35 to the Faribault exit. All the lakes are to the west of town.

------------------
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"
-Captain Quint (Jaws)