• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lund vs. Crestliner

jbontjes

I'm considering buying a boat, but can't decide wether to purchase a Lund or a Crestliner. Can anyone give me some insight?

This is just like the Ford-Chevy Question!

My Opinion is both are very good quality. Take similiar model of each and the Lund will be fancier with trinkets and gadgets and charge a big amount for those ammenities.

I know it's not really that simple , I don't think you can go wrong with either. And I have not compared closely for 5-6 years so it may have changed completely from when i was shopping. We decided to save a little $$ and got everything we needed in Crestliner.

------------------
When the fish are bitin don't get out of the boat!

Brian Rogers

Both are great boats....the lunds seem to cost a little more but they also seem to hold thier value better. We have a 1750 crestliner fishhawk and it seems to be a very good boat...I have also had Alumacrafts and they seemed to be a very solid boat as well. Good luck on your search.

I would highly recommend that you go out and find what type of boat suits your needs for the type of fishing you do and where you do it. If you're on big water quite often, obviously go with a deeper hull and bigger boat, if your on smaller lakes and rivers you'll want something more portable. I personally have a crestliner 1650 fish hawk with a 90 horse Yamaha four stroke that I just had installed. I really like the layout of the crestliner fish hawk vrs. all the other boats I looked at. I can't wait to take it out, hopefully down to Red Wing on Monday since I'm working all weekend.

Good advice on the posts here. You won't go wrong with either boat. I bought a new one last year and was looking at the same two brands. Each had nice features the other didn't but I'm sure I'd be happy with either. Sit down and write out where you fish, what kind of fish you're after, how you want to go after them, etc and then compare that to the boats. Do you need more rod storage, bigger livewells, wrap around windshield vs. consoles, how many people will you carry (usually vs. the max #) and so on. Then, shop around and negotiate negotiate negotiate. The dealers have money they can play with and not just at boat show time like they sometimes say!! BTW, I bought the CL 1850 Sportfish. Be prepped to spend more on the "add on's" though. Factor in the electronics you want, rod holders, radio, bow depth finder....
What's the definition of a boat? It's a hole in the water you throw money into!!

I have a 1998 Crestliner 1650 FishHawk with a 60 horse Merc four stroke tiller. It's been a good boat for me, no major problems yet. One bad thing is if there is a little chop on the water you tend to get splashed quite a bit, but thats probably the case with most tillers.

Both Crestliner and Lund make excellent boats. You can't go wrong with either (in terms of quality).
However, in doing my research, I've noticed that Lund offers a wider boat (Beam Width) in various models of similar lengths (and styles).
I like that. I like having a wider boat, even if it's 1 or 2 inches. That 1 or 2 inches really is that noticeable...to me anyway. I like the space, to move around...much safer too. Something to consider...
(P.S: The "beam width" should be measured from inside the gunnels, not the outside...or you're being cheated...)

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 03-20-2004).]

For some reason I also like the layout of the crestliners. One thing that is nice is the livewells in the crestliner vs lund. Crestliner wells are much bigger than a lunds. But in return then lund has some nice storage area instead of having a big livewell.
IMO I just like the layout of the crestliner better.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!

Hey Man, you have one of the best choices a fisherman has to make!! Which Minnesota made boat should I buy? Each one has it's supporters. Which one DO LIKE THE BEST? That is what it comes down to. You are the one who has to pay the bills on it. BUY WHAT YOU WANT!!!! Do not settle for anything else. DO IT MAN!!!!

I went with Crestliner for 2 reasons:
The price of the crestliner was much better and I would rather have a welded hull than rivets.

I only buy Lunds because there is no other boat that can take my abuse.

On a more serious note boats are like beers; There are lots of brands and everyone likes each one for there own reasons. Lund and Crestliner are both quality boats. The best thing to do shop, compare features and figure in resale which can be a big thing depending on the area you live in. Up here in northern MN I can quickly get top $$$$ for a Lund, but other brands might not be so quick to move.

No matter what you decide, get going, the opener is just weeks away.

Three years ago I was in a similar situation. I looked at many boats and decided on the Lund. I know many people that are happy with their Cresliners, but I just wasn't that turned on with how the Crestliner was set up for my needs and likes. I run a 1775 Lund Pro V with a 75 tiller, transom mount and bow mount trollers.

The Lund may be a little higher in price so with that said I wouldn't think twice about taking a peek at the Alumacraft. I know I will with my next boat purchase. They are very comparable to Lund boats and may be a little less money.

Slugo brought up a good point. So,what are the pros and cons of welded hulls vs. double riveted hulls?

[This message has been edited by jbontjes (edited 03-22-2004).]

I just purchased a 1750 Fishhawk this afternoon, and I went with it over the Pike because I liked the layout better. Price and warranties were about the same, but I just liked that crestliner. Either way your buying a boat from the same company. It was Genmar who owned both Lund and Crestliner until a few weeks ago when they sold their alluminum lines to Brunswick. Maybe I should have asked them to throw in a free bowling ball!

I have a '03 Fish Hawk with a 90 2-stroke. Perfect boat for what I use it for. The hull design seems to get my boat on plane quicker than the lunds I have ridden in (17 foot Tyee). Also I like the size of the front casting platform on my crestliner. Comfy seats too. Both are great boats.

I have a '03 Fish Hawk with a 90 2-stroke. Perfect boat for what I use it for. The hull design seems to get my boat on plane quicker than the lunds I have ridden in (17 foot Tyee). Also I like the size of the front casting platform on my crestliner. Comfy seats too. Both are great boats.

Well it comes down to the riveted lunds or the welded hull of crestliners... I would even say when ive done my comparisons that crestliners are nicer boats but again thats just my opinion, i guess its really up to you!!!

Its more like asking if you like GMC or Chevy. The were both made by Genmar. Genmar recently sold them both to an Illinois Co - Brunswick. They will still be made in MN -Lund's plant in New York Mills and Crestliner's in Little Falls- but Corporate HDQ in Illinois. Genmar is focusing on some new revolutionary fiberglass tech and got out of aluminum hulls - but thats a new topic.

Have to disagree with the GMC/Chevy comparisons. Genmar also owns Ranger and Four Winns. Both fiberglass, different as night and day. Lunds are made by Lund, Crestliners by Crestliner. Different town, different factory, different everything.

Most all boats have the same ride in the showroom. If you can, try to get a demo on the water. That's where the rubber hits the road. I don't think anybody out there right now competes with the IPS and IPS II hull that Lund is makeing. You can get nearly every model in either hull right now. Crestliner is a good boat no doubt, however, my opinion is the Lund is the superior boat.

Doug

------------------
Captain Doug Wintle
Spring Bay Resort & Guide Service
http://www.SpringBayResort.com

Lund Pro Staff
RJ Sport and Cycle Pro Staff
[email protected]
800-847-5253

Big Eyes, my 1750 fish hawk will go about 47 MPH with two in the boat. Nice set up with the 90hp 2- stroke.

Wow that is pretty good. Can I ask what motor you have and is that a stainless prop and gps speed? I have been looking at 1750's with 90 2 stokes and I am always told about 40 mph maybe 42 on the fastest ones. I would be very happy if I could find a 1750 with a 90 that goes closer to the speeds you are talking about.

A friend has a 1750 Fish Hawk with a 115 and the highest speed empty load is 43 GPS.

Same speed as my previous Alumacraft T-Pro 17' with a 115. My speedometer said 55mph, but GPS confirmed the true speed. grin.gif

bigeyes, I have a 90 2 stroke on a 1650 AnglerSS that wil go 43 GPS with 2 people and fully loaded. The speedometer reads 46-47. As far as the 90 2-stroke. It is a carburated engine as you probably know and it is more work keeping it finely tuned in the cold and warm environments we fish in Minnesota. I would recommend a four stroke if your going with a 90 horse.

I am on my second Lund and will definately buy another one. I have ridden in a Crestliner 182 Tournament and it was a nice ride, but I have yet to have a problem with any Lund. I trust the workmanship and performance.

I have been guiding out of Crestliners for many years now, I'm on my 3rd boat.
I also fish out of MuskyToms 2025 Lund several times a year. I do like both of the boats, but for different reasons.

The Lund has a nice front casting area however, there isn't much room in the rear of the boat. I also hate rivits, I don't care how well the make them, if you own it long enough, it will leak.

My 1750 Sportfish has some real storage problems, however I haven't ridden in a
boat with a smoother, drier ride. It is
trully hard to say that one is superior to the other. I may even look at Lunds when I buy next time, but I just can't get over that rivit thing. smile.gif

------------------

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
aceguideservice.com
Lake Vermilion
Muskies and More.

Pro Staff Member.
Catch-n Tackle.
CKat Custom Muskie rods.
Bearpaws Handpoured Baits
Ohio Pro Lure.
Muskie Nut Tackle.
Big Chimney Muskie Baits.
Marcum.

I've got an 1060# lund with 90hp 4 stroke and at WOT i am at 39.2 gps with full tank and 2 guys, aluminum prop. You wont get 47 gps on a 1750 fishhawk with any 90hp (the boat is rated for a 125) gotta figure it was a speedo reading. With a correctly pitched stainless 90 i would think you could get @42-3.
I looked at both types before i bought, get in them and find out which layout you prefer and try to ride in each model if possible. check out rod storage/dry storage/lockable storage, live/bait wells, seat pedestal setup. I think each is a good tin boat.
Xplorer

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 03-24-2004).]

I have to agree with Doug. Comparing a Lund to a Crestliner is more like comparing a Buick to a Saturn. Both are GM, but both are very different.

bigeyes, it is a 90 Johnson. I do have a stainless prop. The boat speedometer reads about 52- 55, but my depth finder and GPS both read anywhere between 46.9-47.7 ( I have also checked it with a second GPS). A friend of mine has about the same set-up but it is two years older, and he can only get about 40-42. I guess it is just luck of the draw.

I should also state that, that top speed is at WOT and trimmed properly, and that on cold days (below 60degrees it will not preform that well. Otherwise the boat really seems to screem!

firfyter,
Wow, you got one screamer of a motor! For where i fish alot in summer (Kabby,Namakan) 40 is fast enough for me. With the rock piles around I wouldnt want to see what happenend if i hit one at 20, much less 40.
Happy cruising in that rocket!
Xplorer