• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

awesome fish

another wicked fish by Larry Dahlberg - how'd you like to land one of these? What is it, anyway?

20.jpg

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-15-2004).]

Looks to be an Alaskan Lingcod. I've got them in the 40lb range. Very tough, but a "Barn door" Halibut will still beat that.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

I think JPZ is right. When I was in college we used to catch these on the west coast of Vancouver Island when "bottomfishing." Great eating fish. You think northerns and muskies in Minnesota have teeth, you need to get a close look in the mouth of one of these...

Maybe its the camera closeness, but that thing looks like it could get my whole freakin leg in its mouth. Pretty crazy looking fish, bet it puts up a fight.

Not sure what it is but they must have been fishing deep and on the bottom

A big Lingcod for sure. I've caught these while Rockcod fishing in California and Oregon up to about 30 pounds, and I think the world record is around 70 lbs if I remember right. We caught them out of Morro bay and Avilla in central Ca. in fairly shallow, nearshore waters as well as out in 300 foot+ fow. Very good eating, the ones we caught had a turquoise colored flesh before cooking too!

fiskyknut

Shucks guys, those things are all over in the BWCA/Quetico. They favor fast water such as rapids and waterfalls, scooping up packs, canoers, or anything else that happens by.