• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat and Motor Advice...Please

I just came home from the Minneapolis Sportshow where I purchased a new Crestliner 1850 sportfish and I have a couple (thousand) questions. I went back and searched old forums for information and apologize if I'm going over the same stuff.

1. I packaged it with a 140 suzuki 4 stroke, will I be under powered if I want to take a couple adult men skiing or pulling tubes behind? Is it worth it to spend an extra $2000 or $3000 for the 150 Optimax. The boat has a 175 limit. I don't really want to spend the extra money if it isn't necessary.

2. The 140 Yamaha was alot more money, am I going to be dissatisfied with the suzuki?

3. They tried to convince me that the aluminum prop will serve fine as it is cheaper to replace when you ding it up and is more likely to take the blunt of the force rather than taking it out on the guts of the lower unit. Should I upgrade to Steel?

4. I am puking when I read an old response from CD about welds on Crestliners. Gullguide, should I just tell them forget it and go with Alumacraft or Lund?

5. I paid an extra $500 to upgrade from a Karavan to a 3100lb shorelander roller with brakes. Is roller or bunk better and should I be asking for the latter.

6. They originally packaged the boat with a Ray Marine 365 locator and I upgraded at no charge to a 470. Should I tell them to keep it and go with a x125 Lowrance... it might cost me a few extra bucks.

7. Can I mount downriggers on a crestliner? I wouldn't mind putting a couple rod holders someplace... recommendations?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I have never spent this much on a boat before and would like to be happy with my purchase.

I most concerned about whether the 140 will be enough, and the quality of suzuki/Johnson (same thing).

Thank you very much, in advance, for your responses. Please let me know as soon as possible. I take delivey 4/8 and might still have an opportunity to change the work order.

Garrett.

P.S. It has no feedback steering. Is it worth it to pay an extra $1000 for hydraulic steering?

That's a lot of questions -- hopefully you're happy with the buy you made. My guess is that once you get it in the water you'll be happy, unless you let the dealer talk you into something you didn't want.

About your horsepower question -- I don't know about the diff between a 140 4-stroke and a 150 Opti. I've heard that big 4-strokes are pretty gutless compared to 2-strokes but I've never been in a boat with a big 4-stroke so I have no experience (only hearsay). I can give you my opinions .... which are that bigger motors are better (you'll never wish you had less horsepower, especially since you mentioned skiing and tubing) ..... and that with a power plant of that size I would prefer an Opti over a 4 stroke. My boat has a Merc 175 EFI which I think is a great motor.

About the aluminum vs. stainless prop, you're probably fine with aluminum. One suggestion would be to check with the boat manufacturer (not dealer) and get their recommendation. My suggestion is to use the boat and if it works fine stick with the aluminum. If the boat doesn't run like you want ... too slow out of the hole, bow too high, stern too low, top end a few mph too slow ... then experiment with stainless to tweak the performance.

Don't worry about the welds. There's tons of good Crestliners out there for every one that has problems --- that's why they have a warranty. For every Crestliner with a bad weld someone could show you a Lund or Alumacraft with leaky rivets.

I would have made the same trailer selection you made.

I'm not very familiar with your boat but I would think you could mount riggers and certainly rod holders. The key is to be able to get at them from above and below, so you can use washers and nylok nuts instead of lag screws and silicon. It might be tough to get to, but there should be access under the gunnels. I have 9 rod holders scattered around my boat and they all work good and they all get used quite a bit.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

. I packaged it with a 140 suzuki 4 stroke, will I be under powered if I want to take a couple adult men skiing or pulling tubes behind? Is it worth it to spend an extra $2000 or $3000 for the 150 Optimax. The boat has a 175 limit. I don't really want to spend the extra money if it isn't necessary.

A. I would never go below 80% of the horsepower rating for a boat. That's where you are at and you should be fine.

2. The 140 Yamaha was alot more money, am I going to be dissatisfied with the suzuki?

No

3. They tried to convince me that the aluminum prop will serve fine as it is cheaper to replace when you ding it up and is more likely to take the blunt of the force rather than taking it out on the guts of the lower unit. Should I upgrade to Steel?

If you want the best performance out of your motor, I would upgrade to steel.

4. I am puking when I read an old response from CD about welds on Crestliners. Gullguide, should I just tell them forget it and go with Alumacraft or Lund?

Tom is very happy with his Crestliner. I'm very happy with my Lund. Between the two of us it is all in how the boat is laid out as both of them are great boats. Don't have a whole lot of experience with Alumacraft, but I'm sure they make a fine boat as well. Again it comes down more to personal preference.

5. I paid an extra $500 to upgrade from a Karavan to a 3100lb shorelander roller with brakes. Is roller or bunk better and should I be asking for the latter. My preference...I would go with a bunk trailer. Have seen first hand what a toler trailer will do to a boat hull when you put a lot of miles on it. It aint pretty, will never go with a roller again.

6. They originally packaged the boat with a Ray Marine 365 locator and I upgraded at no charge to a 470. Should I tell them to keep it and go with a x125 Lowrance... it might cost me a few extra bucks.

Go with the best locator you can afford.

7. Can I mount downriggers on a crestliner? I wouldn't mind putting a couple rod holders someplace... recommendations?

I have a downrigger board that will go on and off my lund in under a minute. Has two downriggers and 4 rod holders. If you want pictures or to take a look at it..let me know. Cost me under $100 to make it.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I have never spent this much on a boat before and would like to be happy with my purchase.

I most concerned about whether the 140 will be enough, and the quality of suzuki/Johnson (same thing).

Thank you very much, in advance, for your responses. Please let me know as soon as possible. I take delivey 4/8 and might still have an opportunity to change the work order.

Garrett.

P.S. It has no feedback steering. Is it worth it to pay an extra $1000 for hydraulic steering?

It aint worth it IMHO

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors
JR's Tackle

1) You'll be fine with that Susuki,I have a freind with the same boat('00) with a 115 Johnson and it pulls skiers just fine.Before that boat he had a Susuki on another boat and was very happy with it.Said he wouldn't think twice about buying another Susuki.

2)Aluminum props are just fine in my opinion.If your not happy with the performance you should be able to use a different pitch aluminum to get what you want.You are less likely to do damage to the motor itself if you nick something with an aluminum prop.

4)A couple years ago there were some problems with welds cracking on the transom.This was not every boat and I believe it was on the 16 and 17 foot models.I have heard that that has been corrected anyway.

5)Bunk vs roller??Its a preference in my opinion.A bunk is easier to load if you drive on.A roller is easier to launch if your by yourself.A bunk will support the boat better but not so much that I would avoid a roller trailer.

6)I think the Lowrance is a better sonar.Just an opinion.

7)You can mount anything you want.I would suggest using some type of backing(fender washers or a metal plate) under the gunnels,and use bolts with nylon insert nuts and not screws.
My favorite rod holders are Cabelas 360HT.They will hold 50+lb catfish!

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com
[email protected]
NPAA #863

Garrett,
I am CD, and don't get sick to your stomach. smile.gif Yes, I have known Crestliner owners who had broken welds, but they were older boats and quality control has greatly improved. If Crestliners had lots of issues, they would not be in business...

I think you read a topic where Tom and I were just ripping on one another. LOL

Anti-feedback steering is very, very nice. If you plan on just fishing and not racing around the lake with the motor WOT (wide open throttle) at full tilt, you likely won't need it.

A stainless prop greatly improves performance IMO.

Roller trailer....Crestliners you may see indentations in the hull over the years. Every aluminum boat I have owned (Lunds/Alumacrafts) I never noticed anything whatsoever. Then again, that 2XB hull on the Alumacraft is really tough.

Congrats on the new rig!

[This message has been edited by ChuckN (edited 03-08-2004).]

you will eventually hear horror stories about every brand boat if you talk to enough people. I believe you will get a lifetime waranty on the hull against any defects.

analz. take a couple of deep breaths!! we all go through those thoughts when we buy a new or different boat! the 140 should move you well. but chill. wait til you get it on the water, learn how to handle it and see how it preforms. then you will find the answers to your questions. i am going from a ranger 364 with a 175 to a 680c fisherman with a 90. can't wait to get it on the water. it will be different and slower,but i think i will like it. time will tell. del

Garrett, Garrett , Garrett LOL nice rig!
Life is way to short to get that hyped up!
Relax, have fun and enjoy.
It's a boat not brain surgery. smile.gif

I have the exact same boat.

1. I have the 115 Yamaha and I get 39mph under flat water conditions. Unless you're racing 1/4 mile drags, I don't know what the fuss is about 2 strokes having more "out of the hole". Just so much advert for the 2 strokes
2. I like my Yamaha, quiet, gas stingy. Don't know anything about Suzuki's
3. I don't race. Maybe the SS prop might give me another mph or 2, don't know that I want to spend another $200 for one.
4. I had my Crestliner on Mille Lacs during some REAL rough water last year. No problems.
5. Good decision on the 3100 w/ brakes. Rides much better, tires aren't cheap though. I have rollers that I keep lubed. Nice having the boat slide off so easy.
6. I took the stock locator off and put on a Lowrance xm-15 w/ gps. Best decision. Don't forget to put a unit up front w/ trolling motor mount. You can't see the depth finder from the front of the boat when you're up there casting.
7. I put 4 Atwood rod holders, 2 on each side in the back. Took drilling a good size hole but they work great there for planer boards. Saw a mount for downriggers where the base attached permanantly but the rest of the hardware detached when not in use. It was on a CL sportfish so you should have no prob.

I got the feedback steering, it took some getting used to but it does allow you to do less "adjusting" while you're trolling.

You guys are funny...

... and informative.

Thank you for calming my nerves. I haven't slept well since Friday. I can remember when I bought my 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, I had buyers remorse for a while and wondered if I made a mistake. It's been a great truck, other than some sort of fuel pressure valve in the gas tank, and I have been very happy.

Thank you so much, PJ, PW, DS, CD, Shake'em, Esoxmn, delmuts, and Dutchboy, for your responses. I am going to stay with the 140 suzuki, and upgrade to the x125... and breath a little easier.

Sounds like you guys are leaning me towards a bunk, to be safe. Should I have to pay extra for that?

Whatdya think of those Pro Anchors?

Happy Hookin'

Garrett

I would definately go with the bunk trailer. This will be so much easier to both load and unload. I run a 19' Ranger and can get in and out without hassle. I would also go with the Hydraulic steering. You will get better response and performance.

Anayzer-

Congrats on the new rig... I am sure you will be very happy with the purchase...

Shake'em

I purchased a Trophy 180 last year with a 140/4-stroke Johnson..very similar to your set up..I had not trouble with it at all..my wife could pull a tube with myself and a friend(400lbs) without any problem..she also pulled me waterskiing with no problems...I have an aluminum prop(hustler) and have liked it...I did not upgrade the trailor and did not have any problems..also I prefer rollers over bunk from my expierence...sorry so late I have not been on-line in a while..I hope this helps..

very much, thank you steel24...

I found a website that had some useful information about bunks and rollers...

I searched on yahoo for "bunk vs roller trailer" and found this website:

http://www.ladyangler.com/tips.htm

I recommend the reading... lots of useful info regarding everything from the above topic to good mosquito repellent... check it out...

It has some fun music too...

Thanks everybody...

G.