• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye opener 2004

lake of the woods/rainy river sat,sun and to milelacs on mon,tues.

I uasually spend opener at dads on Rush. This year because it's not mothers day maybe LOW.

------------------
Will fish for work
Brian Rogers

2dalake,
When you go to Leech fishing in the spring are you the group of guys that camp at Stony Point? If so, I've been camping down the street from you for the last 6 years.

Ole

Lake vermilion or birch lake(babbit)....two great lakes for opener!!cant go wrong....really getting antsy for that ice to melt!!good luck to everyone ...where ever you go!!

------------------
garysguideservice
garytheguide.com
[email protected]
Phone: 218-744-3158

Cartfan- I've only fished byllesby once, only catching a small cat, but I've heard some good reports out of there, but nothing great. It wouldn't be a destination choice for me except we're storing our boat in my brother in laws house next to the lake, and I have a feeling, he'll pull the old, "o since I stored it all winter, why don't we all go out on byllesby for opener"? He did it last year... Although I made it to Riley last year and did well. Hoping for the st. loius trip myself though.

I'm with gary the guide....it's been Birch for the last 20 years!!!!!!!......can't wait!!!!!......not to be an idiot but.......it's champing at the bit....not chomping......lol

2dalake,
I would stop and say Hi but I've gotten real tired of the prices the resorts on Leech Lake are charging. I've stayed at a resort on Kabetogama last year and this year for the same period for 1/2 the price!!! I'm also going to spend some time on Winni/Cut Foot this year instead of Leech, I've found the fishing to be much more consistant.

Ole

Ole,

Yeah I've been agitating for years to switch to a smaller lake that close to opener, but the other guys want to stick with it on Leech. They come from all over since the old gang has become a bit scattered. I catch plenty of fish the rest of the year so I don't mind, and once in awhile we have an early ice out and hit 'em right between the walleyes. Three years ago I had two other guys in the boat when we each caught one from 6-8 lbs within a half hour. That was pretty cool.

Otter Tail!!!

Remember its the 15th not the 8th. The extra few days will make it a more productive Opener on Otter Tail. Might be easier to make it a whole weekend for the family or just the guys as there is no conflict with MOTHER's DAY this year.

Start a tradition, enjoy the opener with me....

------------------
Paul Ness
Three Seasons Lodge on Otter Tail Lake

There was never a "conflict" with Mother's Day at my house - they knew to let me go!

"They" being my mother and my wife.

If they're real good, I might even bring them along.

Its still up in the air. Im thinking the nice'n local nest lake though.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!

2dalake,

I've fished Leech every year since 1978 on the Wed. thru Sun. after opener. We have had a variety of weather from you can't get enough clothes on to you can't take enough off. We used to catch between 50-100 fish (we catch and release all but a couple to eat at nite) per day with 2 guys in the boat, starting in the mid 90's the number started to slip. We were still able to catch alot of fish and have a good time but by the late 90's the number of fish caught has dropped to 30-40 for that same 5 day period for 2 boats and 5 guys. We started going to Winni/Cut Foot a couple of years ago and the fishing has been fantastic, kinda the way it was at Leech back in the 80's. I love to fish Leech, in fact it's probably my favorite lake but I'm into fishing for the sport not so much the keep and eat and Winni has been better for me lately.

Ole

When we hit that big water it can get nasty in the wind. One of the guys runs a big saltwater glass rig that can take those big swells when my Pike DLX has to stay in the bays. This year will be the first time in 22 years I have not brought a boat along because the boys have bought bigger boats than mine.

Last year we hit some really high winds from the SE and we took that big boat out to Goose Island and smoked for about 40 minutes and that was it......poker was the focus of the rest of the weekend.

One thing that has seriously declined on Leech is the fantastic crappie fishing that used to be there. I haven't seen a decent crappie bite out of there in years.

Right here at home, in God's country! Lake Bemidji in the midnight to 4am range, and off to Blackduck and some other local nests the rest of the weekend. The new boat is on it's way!!!

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

Leech for at least this year. If the fishings as bad as the last 2 years, I say it's time to try a new lake next year!

Lake Bemidji is another one that gets rough in the wind. What did you get for a boat?

Little Pine in Perham. Stay at the family cabin and catch walleyes and northerns off the dock. It doesn't get much better than that.

-Hossienda

ooopps.

[This message has been edited by Insp Gadget (edited 03-10-2004).]

Bemidji does get a little rough with some higher winds, there are spots to tuck away however. I bought a 2004 Crestliner 1750 Fishwawk. I needed a little extra room for guiding plus Crestliner offered me a spot on their team so I couldn't pass it up.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

Nice rig, I'm jealous!! I need to send my wife back to work full time so I can get a bigger boat.

Leech for me. We have been there the last two openers, rang up a total of 4 walleyes is all. Don't look for any big improvements for a while, there have not been any real good walleye hatches for a few years. But it is still good to sit in the cabin and talk smart with buddies, even if da fish doan bite.