• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

*drools*

Crawlerman

Humminbird just made a new get this: WRISTWATCH LCD sonar for 2004. Based off the "smart cast" system it wears as a wrist watch and is completly wireless. The model # is the RF30 and Gander Mountain had a recent ad that featured it. (find the Humminbird website for more details on it wink.gif )

Now... I just need to find $90. I can't wait for my tax rebate now grin.gif

Not arguing but offering my two cents.

I guess i would refuse to buy this. How difficult is it to just look down or over to the current depthfinder you have? And why does having it on the wrist that much more convenient?

Just wondering opinions out there, but not sure there is anything out there to justify spending $90 let alone $45 of my own money on this product.

Catchin'
I would have to agree with this. I wouldn't pay 20 dollars for this.
Pay an extra 20-30 dolalrs and get a normal LCD.

Hmmm...cast it out and *WHAM* big ol' northern or muskie inhales and swims off with it shocked.gif...seems like a purdy expensive lure and it ain't even got any hooks on it!!! LOL grin.gif

LOL
Only thing I can thing of is if you fish in front of the boat sometimes and the depth finder is in the back. And dont worry b/c I pulled that one otta my @$$. grin.gif Only thing I can think off.

BTW I am with you guys, I wouldnt buy one either.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!

The only way I would use something like this is from shore. I would set up one rod with this LCD and cast it out to the area I want to fish, just below the surface. Then I would cast out my other line I intend to use.

You're right, I would not hook it to my fishing line in case you lost your lure in a snag.

More gimmick than anything, but if you are limited to shore fishing, it just might work enought to help.

They'll keep coming up with new stuff. In twenty years we'll have remote submarines with cameras and telemetry gauges for temperature, depth, pH.......

I saw these things last year allready.

This year they will probably end up in the clearence bin.

Just my .02!

Aww come on.. so much negativity.

I guess you guys don't believe in underwater cameras either wink.gif

Seriously though.. I know what you mean. Maybe it's not all that practical... but..

I'm still a geek by heart outside of fishing as well, so this just fits me perfect.

"well its a watch; but it's ALSO a fish finder"

Sorta like those swiss army knives that you'll never use half the tools on (or half of which don't server any other purpose but to make the thing fatter so you can brag to someone that yours is bigger than theirs. Heh)

Thats the notion smile.gif

But yes, for petes sake DEFIANTLY put it on a seperate rod. I wouldn't keep it in the water for very long either. It'd be useful for spot casting/ checking prior to fishing an area; and if you ever go somewheres you don't have a finder. (like on a Canoe or something)

Now THAT would be a practical use, if it shows you enough. A backpacking graph to use in the BWCA?

I fish current a lot, and I see the practicality of drifting this gizmo along a snarl that I intend to toss cut bait into.
I plan on getting one when I have the $. I'm gonna get the rod-mount model display and put it on a cheap ice rod spooled up with 10/50 braid (and a steel leader wink.gif ).
With my luck, though, I'll get a two-lines ticket for that thing. grin.gif

Not to c**p on your thread or anything but I bought the castable unit with the stationary receiver (same thing as the wrist mount just different location). I was not at all impressed with the quality of this. VERY sensitive to any tiny waves. It can be sitting there showing 9 ft then jump to 20 ft and back. Very coarse display (not a very fine small pixel display). The only real use is casting it to get an idea of depth. Not gonna show fish reliably. Plus you can't cast it very far or you have problems with receiving. I would cast it out on a medium cast and have to try hold up the receiver in the air sometimes to get a signal back.

I suppose I'll keep mine, but there are definitely but applications of your money.