• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Home

I've always wanted a lake cabin and I love to fish, especially walleyes! Can anyone give me some advice about buying a lake house? Also, what lake would you want a lake house on and why?

Thanks
Sev

I'd pick a lake where you don't have to worry about rubes showing up, fishing from your dock.

Go to the Minnesota Property Source Web site. You can pick through metro, St. Cloud and Brainerd areas.

Be ready to drop some coin, lakefront goes for big bucks.

IFallsRon,

If I'm going to buy a lake cabin, I want it
to have a 'northwoods' feel, if you know what I mean. Lake of the woods would be awesome but it's too far to drive from the cities. By the way, what is "rubes"? Also,
can you give the web address for the property site you mentioned.
Thanks.
Sev

[This message has been edited by Sev (edited 02-25-2004).]

rube: NOUN: Slang An unsophisticated country person.

Although you don't have to live in the country to be and act like a rube. I'm sure you have would-be rubes for neighbors. You can't escape them.

the URL is xxx.mnproperty.xxx.

Determine how far you want to drive and how crowded the route is. For instance, getting to Mille Lacs on a Friday night isn't too bad once you get past Zimmerman.

For a cabin, I'd consider a good recreational lake with many fishing lakes within a short drive. Fishing is bound to be good on one.

Bigger lakes like LOW, Rainy, Vermillion, Mille Lacs, Winnie, Cass and a few others fall in the category of great big lakes to have a cabin. There's a variety of fish and the location is great. Alexandria-to-Fergus Falls-to-Detroit Lakes is a great fishing area as well as between Brainerd-to-Walker-to-Park Rapids.

It depends on where you want to be. My mother-in-law just sold her place on Fish Trap, only an hour north of St. Cloud. Lake Alexander and Shamineau in that area are nice lakes in that area and occasionally have property for sale. My boss' mom recently sold a place on Cross Lake.