• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Small horse power pros.

fishface5

My sneakin around boat, either a 3 hp johnson or 15 hp johnson or both on a mid 50's vintage crestliner 14 ft resort boat.Back when crestliner still riveted them togather.Poor man lookin rig, really good electronics.lol
Dad runs a pair of 15 johnnies on a 16 ft alumacraft..Funny we dont see much of the dual motor setups anymore, makes sense if one croaks ya still got one to fall back on.. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

40 Merc 4 stroke. 16-1/2 foot Crestliner Angler console. 2000 model year. I really miss her. Sweet motor. Ahh yes. Think I'll go sit in her for a little while.

------------------
people who fish live longer.

I started out with a 14 foot lund and either an 8 hp merc or 15 hp johnson, with an Eagle flasher. Really helped me to learn boat control.

Jason Erlandson

Hey;

for river fishing and puddle jumping, I have my 14' Lund with a 20hp merc. I also have a bow mounted and transom mounted trolling motors. Electronics in the front and back. Rod holders too. Even built a floor.

When it comes to boat control on the river.......not to brag, but a set-up like this keeps you right on the spot. I can maneuver this thing with great success.

Can't go wrong!!!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

Big G
You using both motor together?
I learned how to run both the bow and transom motors at the same time in a small john on the river.It takes some time to get the hang of it but once you do you can slide the boat side to side or forward and backward all ways keeping the bow into the current or into the wind.You can basically dance your baot accross the water and hold or hover absolutley still over structure without haveing to drop the anchor.Its the tops for boat control especially in tough conditions.
I am now doing it in my River Pro Jet boat and it still is the best for controlling the boat.

14ft alumacraft with 15HP Honda. Nice little rig for fishing small to medium sized waters. Will do 25 mph with just me in the boat. Excellnet rig for getting across the portages into basswood, and cruising around Sag. Low maintenance, and I can have it in the water and ready in about 2 minutes!

I also fish out of a float tube, a canoe, and from shore whenever I can. I love shore fishing, when they are in close enough.

The Rivva Po'...
1950's era 14' alumicrappt (more JB Weld than hull) with a 1960 5.5hp johnson. Back-up motor is a 2.5 hp johnson.
There have been a couple of times when moving upriver meant tacking into the current and praying!!
Good thing about wee horses is that when my prop DOES munch rocky bottom, there isn't enough torque going on to shred my prop or kill my lower unit - it just goes 'chunka chunka chunka'.

Started 15 years ago with old 12' aluminum boat with a old 6 hp Sea King. Sold that and picked up a beat up 15' Blue Fin with a 1972 Johnson 25 HP tiller. Sold that an bought a 1996 Smoker Craft 15' console (in 2000)that had a 28 horse Evinrude. Replaced that motor with a 40 horse four stroke Merc a couple of years later. Great small lake rig that can get out on LOW a couple of times a year. Love that four stroke!

We should start a seprate thread called "What have you used instead of a shear pin?" Love the audio aquaman! lolol Man its been awhile since ive sheared a pin. I still carry them in my tackle box... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
www.scenictackle.com

I've got a 16 foot MirroCraft with a 35hp evinrude single console. Love this boat, only things I want to change are the bench seats (I made a level floor) and the covered bow.

RU

Just wondering if anybody has any experience using the Briggs and Stratton 5HP outboards. I'm considering getting one for my 12' aluminum to use on small lakes. Your comments or optinions are much appreciated. Thanks.

I dont know of anyone who has the briggs outboards .. but I have plenty of briggs motors in other things that seem to hold up well ... I wouldnt be afraid to try one out.

As for a 5 hp.. I use one often on my 14' and it pushes it great.. and when I mount it on a boat we bought from setterguy it will actually put it on plane if not overloaded. 6 gallons of gas and fishing 4+ times a week with lots of trolling the tank will last about a month... hard to beat that.

1979 14' Richline, just put all new seats in.

8 horse Mariner, a true workhorse considering all the abuse that I put her through.

I want to upgrade to a good used 25 horse but havent found what I want in my price range. If anyone has a good used motor that they would like to get rid of this spring let me know.

Big Island Dude
[email protected]

------------------
Ice fishin SUCKS...
But I do it anyway.

14.5' Northwood with a 20 HP Mariner. Don't really care to take it out very far on the 'big water' (Mille Lacs, Leech, Otter Tail, etc) but gets me around most lakes pretty nice.

My grandfather had a cabin on Big McDonald lake (near Dent/Vergas) for many years, and fished those many years with a 12' aluminum boat and a 7.5 HP Johnson Sea Horse motor.

Dennis;

Using the front and back?

YEP!

Works good! Took a little practice, but I love it. I mostly just use my transom, because my bow mount is just a simple 12v, 28lb thrust, but I have to keep my foot on the pedal at all times, in order to keep the motor going. That is where I appreciate the transom and just use it with ease.

But, I won't have anything else without the same setup......

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

I got an old 14ft Starcraft (pretty stripped down) with a 18hp Mariner on the back. It's been through a few generations in my family. I tore out the floor and everything else last fall and just started working on it again yesterday. When complete it will have one bench running almost the length of the boat for rod storage, one half as long for livewell and additional storage, a raised platform in front with 2 battery compartments, a seperate compartment for the on-board charger and extension cord in the front, and a foot drive trolling motor. Under the raised platform will be storage for anchor/rope and driftsock. A step up from the original 3 bench setup. I just hope I can finish it by opener.

The little boat is a 14-foot Sears cartopper that father-in-law bought back in black and white days. It's not too big to throw on the camper or truck. I push it with a green Johnson 5 1/2. I picked up a used trailer last year to keep it off the grass so plan to drag it to some of the smaller area lakes. I also use it to train the kids so they don't reck the "good" stuff.

I have a 16.5 foot Lund rebel console, with a 40 Johnson, it works good, although I do occasionally get whipped my some guy out ther with a bare bones basic fishing boat, with a 40 or (even a hot 30) on it, they probably go 10 mph faster than my top at about 28 mph. My boat is just big enough and just small enough, no complaints, I think I'll plan on keeping it for several more years to come.

I am Running a:
14 ft 1970 Red Lund with a '03 Merc 25 Hp. With just me cruising she tops out at about 30. Top speed can get pretty scary in big waves. I have put pedestal seats in front and back. I have a portable Lowrance X91 that suction cups on to the transom. The boat is great for portaging into Basswood and navigating small to medium size lakes and rivers. Back trolling and boat control is awesome in this rig. This boat is the simplest of fishing boats and I think I will keep it for as long as she floats. It gets me to the lakes and places that not just any boat can get to. Sometimes, if you want a great day of fishing you might have to be adventurous and muscle an aluminum boat to get to that spot that is way the #$%* out there. Those are the days you remember.

ReefDawg

2003 Lund 1650-V Rebel, 30 Merc 4 Stroke. Catches plenty of fish for me....

1650 V Lund Rebel with a 50 hp Merc 2stroke tiller. Gets me anywhere and cant wait to get it out cuz I just got it at the end of last year!!!!!

hey paul rohweller, sounds like you got my boat accept i camoed my for hiding and hunting, the crestliners back then where made from recycled aviation aluminum = light and flexable.

Really? lol never knew that. Its a sturdy little boat. I wish I had a dollar for every walleye that I've put over the side in that thing. I might pressurewash it this spring so more paint peels off, that way it looks even more haggard..Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
www.scenictackle.com