• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

windshield vs counsel

It's way past time to upgrade my boat situation,and could use some opinions.I'm looking for an all purpose fishing rig that can be used to pull the occasional skier and tuber.
Thinking about the Lund 17'Explorer,but debating about a walk thru windshield boat.I don't plan on running a lot of big water,and would like the room of a side counsel boat.My last boat was a mid 70's walk thru windshield Starcraft,and was a little tough to fish out of.Just looking for any opinions.Thanks for any info.

Ever consider a single console? ALMOST as much room as a tiller, but better control and more comfortable while pulling skiiers/tubers.

The single counsel was the style I was thinking about.Just don't know if I would miss the full windshield.

For what it's worth, I've got a 1675 Explorer with single console and LOVE the room. I fish with a guy who has a Tyee Magnum with dual console and there is lots of "wasted" space in my opinion.

It is nice for a passenger though when you are running in either cold or windy weather to give them something to duck behind.

I would not hesitate to recommend the single.

Daze Off

From lots of trial and error I've gone from a tiller to single console, and now a dual console. Dual console is best for my style of fishing and I don't have to watch my passengers suffer. smile.gif

I've driven rigs with the full windshield and I didn't like it for some reason. rolleyes.gif

I've been wrestling with this same question, I want to move up from my single console to a walk thru windshield because I like the shelter it gives you on long runs. Do you guys who have fished both miss the room you give up? I've got small kids who want to be in the shade now and then, especially when I take them tubing.

I've fished from/owned all 3. I still love the single overall. Yes, your passenger is exposed more, that's the draw back. But you loose so much fishing space in a full windsheild. It's not bad with just 2 people, but 3 or 4 it's a nightmare.

I have fished out of tillers, single consoles, double consoles and walkthroughs. In my opinion, each holds its purpose. It really depends on what type of fishing you are planning to do. At this point, we mainly fish for Eyes on big water (mainly Mille Lacs), and I wouldn't want to be without the walkthrough. It is seriously a 25-30 degree difference between sitting in the front of the boat, or in the back behind the windshield, under the canopy, out of the wind and rain. And this when the boat is anchored or drifting. Imagine driving across the lake in the wind and rain. Walkthrough all the way in my opinion...

Shake'em

I have an 1850 sportfish with walkthru. You do give up alot of room but 95% of the time there is no more than 2 fishing. That leaves more than enough room. 3 is okay, 4 is getting too crowded. Fishing big water and crappy weather both my fishing partners and me are glad to have that windshield.

I may have a different opinion after fishing some tourneys this summer. I think it would be wat easier to organize the boat in a single or tiller.

------------------
If I only had more time!

Brian Rogers

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 03-11-2004).]

I've ridden in all the different variations, as I'm sure most of us have. When I went to buy my boat I initially thought I'd go with a single or dual console, but changed my mind and went with a walk-through. I finally came to the conclusion that I've never been in a boat that had enough room. No matter what size the boat is, or how things are set up- when you and your buddy get in with all your gear, you're going to wish you had more room. So, with the assumption that the arrangement of the consoles wasn't going to solve my room issues, I figured I'd solve some comfort/warmth issues by getting the walk-through.

I have a Crestliner Tour.Pro. single console. How much would it cost to put in dual console.Or who would do it?

I run a Lund Pro-V 1775 single consule. I went to my local Lund dealer and they said they could add the second consule for about $600 dollars. Then they asked me why I wanted one installed. I told them it was for the passengers comfort. He told me "Screw the passenger, they didn't pay for the boat." I left it out. Although, I'll have a second consule for my next boat (at least that's what my wife tells me).

The Spook

There have been times in early spring or late fall i would have had to quit fishing because of the mutiny caused by my passengers without the walkthrough! shocked.gif

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

I"ve got a '87 Grumman with a walkthrough. I wouldn't be without the dual console, for the same reasons as previously stated. When you're fishing, and that early spring or late fall or even mid-summer COLD rain sneaks up on ya, you've got to have SOME cover. The other thing that I'd pay attention to, when you're looking at a walkthrough, is where the bait/livewells are located. Very few boats have a bow mounted livewell anymore I've been finding, or if they do, they're big enough to hold 6-7 panfish. There's only 5-6 boats (aluminum) that I've been able to find with a bow mounted livewell, which is something that I prefer. I don't feel like being up on the front casting platform and have to walk to the back to the boat to put a fish. Just something else to think about.

Lwn

Have a Smokercraft 175 ultima with a walk through and would not be without it. Plenty of room for 3 to fish and not to bad with 4.

I had from single to dual console, tillers and full windshields, I still haven't decided yet.

I think you have to consider other aspects, and for example people around you, if you have children (and wife), a windshield will help them a lot (wifes are always cold...).

Try to speed at half throttle in mid october with 40 degrees, have your wife take the wheel and you sit in the passenger side on a single console.....brrrrrr

Full windshield will mean bimini top and possibly full enclosure, just like having a tent on a boat.

On the other side, think about that big muskie you are fighting near boat with a 6lb test line, you are in front, now you have to run in back, over the windshield, over the seats, etc... snap... here goes your fish...

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 03-13-2004).]

To play devils advocate with Valv, how often do you hook onto that Musky with 6lb test line? If you do, you're still going to have to work around the seats even if you don't have any console, and you're most likely to lose the fish if he dives under the boat and breaks the rod, or gets back by the motor. You'd have to be fishing with a pretty short rod to worry about catching and snapping the line on the windshield, either side.

Lwn

If you go musky fishing, keep your windshield open for ease of walking-through.

Thanks everybody for all the good advice.The decision is still up in the air,and open water is gettin closer.I sure like the looks of the new Lund Explorer.Thanks again.

It does come down to personal preference! I have had everything from a tiller to a DC. I love SC's and will never own anything different again! Dual consoles are nice but take so much room away, side consoles leave you that extra walking room that I love! Tillers are great as well, but I like the wheel in my hands!

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

I know the others have more room and it is always nice but my walk thru provides so much protection in cold and rain for my wife and fishing partners. I wouldn't have it any other way.

All good points. My vote is for the walk through because I find it to be a lot more comfortable in blocking the wind. While I could use more room, getting to the spot and still haveing enough feeling in my fingers to cast is a good thing. Single consoles have a tendency to freeze out the passenger. It all gets down to personal preferences, doesn't it. The best solution would be to own two boats!

I would strongly recommend the walkthrough. Especially if you use your boat for anything other than fishing. I have a 1700 Lund Pro Sport and one of my friends has a single console Crestliner. We were on Leech one weekend and it was rainy and cold. I must admit we were happy to be the 2 guys in my boat! With the weather in Minnesota and if you fish any big lakes I think the windshield is a plus. Just my thoughts.

How about we come up with a retractable console for the passenger side. It could slide up and down and fold neatly away for storage while fishing. Hmmmmmm, I may need to go ice fishing for a while to sit and ponder this one.

Lund actually made one of these, I can't recall the name of it, but it was a bimini style cover that fit an SC with a zippered door in the front. Beautiful thing, but they don't make it anymore.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders