• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Keel Guard for Bass Boat

Chev_trucks501

My question is...

Is a keel guard a necessary thing for a bass boat? Are there any disadvantages to having one? Any one with info please advise.

Thanks
chev

Chevy,
If you are buying a new boat why would you not put one on?
I put one on and don't even give it a second thought about "beaching" my Ranger.
If you are buying a new glass boat you gotta have one! Don't scrimp and save a nickel on a keel guard, you will regret it later.
If you were asking for a used boat,oops my bad. Sorry no opinion.

dutchboy is right. they do protect the bow well. i don't have one on my ranger(i'm to cheap!) so i don't beach mine and am careful around the shallows . i do have a couple of small chips in mine but they were there when i bought the boat. mine is for sale, i have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. shouldn't affect performance at all.i feel that they would be worth the investment. del

Hey thanks for the replies.

Ok if a keel guard is a good idea what kind of one do you get? I see there are paint on kinds and stick to the boat kinds. Are they easy to install or should I have a professional do it? Any Info would be helpful.

Thanks Again
Chev

chev i have talked to a guy that builds boats.( profile ) he told me that a person could do it if very carefull, but would recomend having a professional do it. he said the adhesive on those things is VERY good. if you screw up it is very tough to to fix. del