• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing in Paridise

traveler

Check out this topic in the BWCA/Duluth forum. I'd like to hear from guys who have fished (or would like to) marlin, dorado, etc...Muskyhunter, tileguy?? Anyone dreaming of sandy beaches and BIG fish?

I AM!!!! I have chased a few ocean fish via surf fishing while on vacation...mostly permit and bonefish. MAN do they fight....it's mostly a matter of being stealthy with your approach and sight fishing active fish. Open face reels and looonnngg rods worked the best for me. I used the staffers at Cabela's fishing department when choosing the right lures to take. (hair jigs in brown with a stand-up profile, tipped with soft plastic crabs) I walked them along the bottom in about 3' of water and the fish would suck them up....can't wait to try it again. grin.gif Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

My vote would be to go back to Brazil and fish Peacock Bass in the Amazon and it's tributaries. It was an absolute blast. I highly recommend it.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Have done quite a bit of salt water fishing, deep sea, flats, and backwater, but have pretty much settled in on tarpon, snook, and bonefish, on light tackle,(I can use my wally stuff). Use a bunch of differant tactics, but use a lot of baits from D.O.A lures in Palm City, FL. Very good plastics, even use their Terroreyze, and Adjusta Floaters up here for walleyes and northerns, respectively. Go to the website, good advice about salt water tactics. If you're ever haeded to Destin, FL, give Blue Bay Outfitters a call, they do it all...very well.

The airfare deals that are out there now make it tempting to schedule a mid-winter retreat to some-where warm....sorry I've said it before "I'm not much of an ice fishermen".

I always look forward to a warming spurt in the middle of winter...I can't resist a trip to Red Wing when that happens. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

I tell ya, January through early March is tough for me too. I spend some time on the ice but would much prefer wet water! I have a goal to attain after the kids are out of the house (maybe sooner)...2-4 weeks every winter in a warm fishy environment. I can just see it now....Sitting on the beach watching the tip of a surf rod sway back and forth with the wave action, a cold beverage on one side, my wife gently fanning me with a palm branch and feeding me grapes on the other...almost brings a tear to my eye.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I just got back from a trip down to FL last week, and did some fishing while I was down there. I did a charter trip with Capt. Mark Block out of Marco Island. He does a great job and I highly recommend him.

This time of year the fish were congragated in the Everglades and that's where we hit 'em. Snook were everywhere, redfish, and tarpon were cruising around and we caught a variety of fish. You could see the tarpon jump out of the water at 2 or 3 pound ladyfish, catch snook on the oyster beds, jacks off of points, and these wierd little things that looked like a sunfish sized peakock bass. There were more but I can't think of all their names. We even heard wild pigs taking a bath, and gaters (which were everywhere) take out some kind of bird. Watch out though, even the little fish have big teeth. We used jigs tipped with shrimp all day. We even had on a shark but it cut the line. Well, I had fun and reccomend a trip down there if you get a chance.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-03-2004).]

Going to Cozumel Mexico Jan. 10-17th. $520 for round trip air, and 7 nights hotel. Fished there last year and caught a few tuna...yum!

Yup, there are some great trip deals out her if you look for them. 5 or 6 hundred for air and hotel is a heck of a deal, and those prices are available to Mazatlan, Purto Villarta, Cabo, Cancun, etc... as long as you go before spring break. With some research 2 guys can split a boat for 3 days and do the whole week for around 1500 each, including cervacas.(sp?) Not bad for a week on the beach and the biggest fish of your life!

• 2 months later...

Heading to Cozumel Feb. 21-28. Looking to get a charter for a day of deep sea fishing. Anyone know of a reputable charter? I've located a few on the internet and am awaiting replies to find out details.

Also looking to split the cost so if anyone else is going to be there my wife and I would love to join up with another couple for a fishing day on the ocean.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Cozumel, Mexico where we chartered a fishing outing for a full day out on the Carribean. 4 of us were out and we all caught fish.

I caught about a 25 lb barracuda, my wife caught about a 25-30 lb yellow-fin tuna, another guy caught a small 5 lb mahi-mahi, and we all caught a few trigger fish while jigging squid off the bottom.

The trigger fish were fun because we used lighter gear that was similar to walleye gear. I'd call the trigger fish the sunfish of the sea. They are pan fish shaped and fight like h*ll. Ever caught a 5 lb sun fish you'd know what it's like. A couple hours of pulling these up from 60 feet deep and the arms were sore.

The crew cleaned some of our catch and we all enjoyed a fresh seafood meal back at the hotel where we had pre-arranged it to have our catch cooked. Hard to beat a fresh tuna steak cooked over an open fire grill!!

Beer Batter,
Who did you go out with in Cozumel? It sounds like you did pretty well. Those trigger fish are a blast on light gear! If you ever go back to Coz. you should try fishing for bone fish in the lagoons.

I booked our tour through Wahoo Tours. They are on the net at wahootours dot com. The entire package ran $400 so with 4 of us it ran $100 per person. The charter included a very tasty lunch along with all the beer, pop, water, chips, peanuts, snacks, etc.. we could handle. Only problem I had with the package was that the boat lacked seating. Only seating was a bench over the motor housing and it had no back supports. All our backs were a bit soar after 8 hours on the ocean rocking back and forth.

Hard to complain about a fun day fishing on the ocean though.

Thats funny, I would have recomended Wahoo Tours had I seen your post in time. I know Jim (the owner) and I have been out fishing with his son Manny (most recently in January). Most of the fishing boats are set up like that (open/uncluttered), if you're ever on board after a billfish is landed you'll understand why.Were you on the "Marisol"? The fish-fighting seat has back support. Small world.

[This message has been edited by fishtrapII (edited 03-04-2004).]

We were on the Marisol with Manny as our host. Jim called via cell phone to speak with me personally at the end of the day to make sure we all had a good time. Seems like a real nice guy and I'd recommend booking through them for anyone going fishing at Coz.

I agree on keeping the boat open and uncluttered. I don't think it would take much to add a double sided back support going right through the middle of the motor housing bench though. It wouldn't take up any additional space and would help keep the customers comfortable. Just my $.02.