• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CO Searches...the humor thread

With all the "serious" talk on the other thread, let's hear about the fuunniest thing that ever happened to you or a CO while going through a search or game check.
Nothing is taboo here...LETS HEAR ALL ABOUT IT!!...lol
Those of you who know me know my story, so I'll post it later after others have had a chance....here's to making light of a serious situation!

I have only been checked a few times while out fishing. Usually it is just a little chat about the fishing, they ask to see the fishing license, and then move on.

About 8 years ago, a friend of mine, his dad and myself were crappie fishing up in the chisago area. (We weren't catching anything either.) We were one of 2 boats out on the water. The officer buzzed over to us, asked to see the fire extinguisher etc...

Then he asked to see our driver's licenses, and proceeded to quiz us on our addresses.

I was very close to answering his questions in another language, but I thought that might get us all into trouble.

I guess it seemed funnier in my head than when I put it in print.

[This message has been edited by Redlantern (edited 10-01-2003).]

My buddy and I were fishing the St. Croix by the 94 bridge last summer. We saw a Lund boat with a guy and a couple of gals approach our boat, and noticed the guy was DNR. He asked for our license, which I had left in my other tackle box at home. He called in my driver's license to confirm that I did have a current license, which was very nice. When he asked to see our live well, one of the gals started to film with a big video camera. They were doing a show for KSTP news on fishing and peoples thoughts on allowing their boats to be checked. We both said if you had nothing to hide, why not! We chatted for a while and continued to fish after they had left. That night I was watching the news and we were on TV. We must have been the only ones they had talked to that day! If I knew I was going to be on TV I would have cleaned up a little!

About thirty years ago I was doing the Red Wing dam on an April day when the weather took a bad turn. It went from sun and forty to the teens and sleet/snow by afternoon. My buddy and I had been checked by the co twice already when the dork pulls up a third time to check us. Asking for the licenses again, I said I wanted to see his picture state ID card first. Grumbling, he hauled it out from his pants pocket and when he snapped the wallet open, it flew out of his hand and went in the drink...the weight of the badge inside the cover simply yanked it away from the dude. I showed him my license again and went about my business of filling the limit so we could go home. Never did get bothered by him again...that spring or ever again.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

year's ago a buddy and i were (fishing) sucker's in early spring in an area that was usually closed do to the walleye spawn. We didn't see any sign's so we started fishing, well up comes the CO and says we must have torn down the sign's. He dicide's to have us flip a coin and he'll give the unlucky one the ticket (instead of giving it to both of us) I lost! But i went to court instead of paying the fine and won on the fact that I had never had a previous violation. In later years I got to know the CO quite well. He was a good guy. he later (years) checked me at an access after duck hunting w/ my boy's, about 4 and 6 and they had shot a nuthatch with there bb gun while i was loading the boat and decoy's and were so proud they bragged. He explained to them what birds they could and couldn't shoot but congratulated them on a shot well made and overlooked it. Both time's were good experiences.

I don't have a livewell story, but had sort of a funny experiance while being checked for license while fishing off the public fishing pier on Lake Tetonka last year. My wife and I were approached by a CO at about the same time my wife cast out. She had gotten her line wrapped around the reel handle and the line snapped on the cast. Well while the CO was checking our license she said with a straight face "officer since you are a public servant would you be so kind as to retrieve my bobber". I cringed for a second , but he looked up and said "no problem" and went out and got it for her! Not real funny I guess, but a good PR move on his part.
Lucky

kslipsinker, that exact thing happened to me on an opening day with my girlfriend. I didn't get to see it because I stayed out on the water when it aired at 10 pm. A lot of my friends told me about it, but it would've been nice to see. On another occasion on Lake Erie I had a Canadien CO check me. We were on a hot bite and was 2 fish shy of a 3 man limit of 30 walleye. I plotted a course that was about 400 yards long and kept working over this area. The CO must've been watching me, and he came flying up to me and basicly cut me off so I had to stop. I had 4 Off-Shore Planer boards out and 2 lines running off the sides of the boat. Anyone that trolls knows what kind of a mess it is to abruptly stop and bring in 6 lines while drifting. A little P.O.ed to say the least. In the mean time the CO who's in a boat the size of a Coast Gaurd vessel hooks my boat with a long pole to keep us "together". A couple of my lines are still out and I ended up tangling around his boat and loseing one of my planer boards! mad.gif Now I'm really ticked off! And with dark comeing on I have a long trip back to shore (6 miles). The CO pass's me a 5 gallon pail via a long pole, and we all put our fishing and drivers licenses in the pail. After about 20 minutes he passes the pail back with 3 citations for fishing without a lisence! He claimed we had crossed into Canada earlier in the day. We were'nt even on the lake at the time, NO WAY! He now proceeds to ask me to open up all my compartments to view, and to place all the fish from the livewell into the bucket, which he hauled back to his boat via the pole. One fish flopped out of the pail into the lake during this. After all that he asks me about a 5 gallon pail that is sealed with a lid which was in my boat. I told him it was nothing to worry about, and I wish he wouldn't look in there. This angered him, and he told me to place it on the pole so he could bring it on board his vessel, I obliged. He brought in the pail and set it on the edge of his boat and wrestled with the tight fitting lid. When it opened, his face lit up with surprise and spilled the contents of the pail all over his boat.....It was my crap bucket! grin.gif I guess things have a way of working themselves out! wink.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 10-02-2003).]

Everytime I've been stopped by a CO its been pretty boring. I do have a Forest Service story I'd like to share, though. Anyway, one of the trips that I lead in the BWCA is a community service trip that adults can sign up on and volunteer to help the FS with some trail work. Its a lot of fun and its very low cost. Half the time we work, the other we play. Anyway, so we are out with our FS rep and doing our jobs. There happens to be a fire ban on the lake and we see smoke on an island site. Our rep goes over and checks the site, tells them to put it out and goes about his business. We round the island and head for a portage and there is the smoke again. So, the rep goes back, tells them to put it out and issues a citation. We then start paddling toward the portage. The smoke again. And again, a very POed FS rep goes over to the site and puts out the fire. He issues another citation. He paddles off. When he gets to us, we paddle to the portage and he tells us to wait. Now you are not going to believe this, an hour later, the smoke rises from the site. Cursing and swearing, our rep grabs his radio and orders in a fire plane! We wait about an hour and by now the people on the island have a huge bonfire going. The engines kick up in the background and suddenly out of the sky comes this huge fire plan and it dumps its load of water the island! Everything is soak and drenched, their canoes flew into the water and all of their junk was scatter everywhere! We laughed and laughed and laughed. Another group of FS reps, following the drama, come onto the lake and our rep, with the other reps head over and hand the party the bill for the operation. $20,000 dollars for starting a forest fire. wink.gif

scifisher

can it be luck,

I was not expecting that kind of ending. Looks like he got his after all. WOW - LOL!! Crap Bucket for crying out loud! grin.gif

I'm still laughing.

Hiya,
Was duck hunting on a plot of public land close to where I grew up a few years ago, and a CO (new guy in the area) stopped to check us. Asked to see our guns so he could check for plugs. Said fine (I never take mine out anyhow) and handed my 12 ga. over. So he unscrews the cap and starts fiddling around with it to see if it has a plug (I know - why not just see how many shells it holds?). Pretty soon the spring and the plug shoot out over his shoulder like an MX missile and end up in the lake. The spring letting loose startled him, and when he jumped he fumbled the gun, caught it by the butt, and the barrel fell off, bounced off his gunnel, and into the drink it went.

To his credit, he gave me his card and the CO Division replaced the parts that went swimming. I don't think I've ever seen someone that sheepish either. As he motored off he said, out of habit I think "good luck hunting." Wonder what he thought I was going to do, throw rocks at the birds?

Cheers,
RK

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hmmm.... start crapin in your livewells?

I was fishing and had a pike on the ice. A CO pulled up and said "Whats wrong with you, don't you know Northern season is closed" I said not till next weekend. He pulled out his book and said your right, you know you can use 2 lines. I said I know that.

Was in the B-Dub and noticed a canoe sitting still in the middle of the lake. I could see a map opened up blowing in the wind. The canoeist came over to me and said "What lake am I on" I showed him were we were on the map. As he left my partner and I looked at each other then said to the canoeist "aren't you going to check our license"

My buddy and I were driving down a dirt road headed to a trail to Grouse hunt.
A CO pops out of the woods and into the road and signals use to stop. We get out of the truck and he checks our licenses and guns. A car pulls up behind us and the CO says wait here. He walks over to the cars occupant and he asks him to get out. A young kid gets out. The CO pulls a loaded uncased shotgun out of the car and asks the kid "let me see your license". The kid says I don't have one cuz I'm only 15 yrs old. The CO says "well let me see your drivers license" The kid says I don't have one.
The kids is sweatin bullets now. Co says "don't you know you cant drive without a license" The kids says I'm really not driving, my dad just let me drive a little ways on this road. CO says wheres your dad then? The kid started stuttering and stammering thinking of a good come back. The CO looks at my buddy and I and says your free to go....

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 10-02-2003).]

Years ago , before Minnesota allowed 2 lines in the winter , my wife , 2 kids and I were in the fishhouse on Mille Lacs. We have 4 holes in the house and all lines were down. The kids were tired and layed down for a nap so we placed a blanket over the top bunk frame to give them some darkness. A CO knocked and entered. After a pleasant greeting and checking our lines and licenses he said " well Mr Ross , we have a problem here". I asked what and he said "too many lines." I laughed and pulled the blanket back to show him the kids. His reply was that kids do get tired and he wished us good luck and laughed as he walked out.
I imagine he could have ticketed us for the childrens unattended lines or us for 2 too many but it never was brought up.
Dino

Great stories folks!
Ok, here's mine...if falls along the lines of one already told, but here goes anyway!

A few years ago I put some time in on a small lake near Ottertail fishing gills through the ice. On my way over, I stopped by Carr's, or what used to be, and got myself some munchies for the long day....which included a couple of those large microwaveable burritos grin.gif
Well, after a few hours had passed....something else started to pass through my system....you know, that feeling when your guts start to wind up and nothing you can do will prevent the enevitable?..yea, I'm sure you've all had that feeling grin.gif
So, without hesitation, I emptied out my bucket and proceeded to put an end to my suffering...all the while oblivious to the sound of the approaching snomobile.
Who was on the snomo?...why it was our friendly neighborhood C.O!!
Well, Mr. C.O. hops off his sled, and in true C.O. fashion tears the door open to my shed and proclaims.."DNR!"
Needless to say he got an eyefull as well as a nosefull...he quickly shut the door and said, "oh, excuse me, I'll check back later."...which he never did.

Years ago while duck hunting out in western MN there used to be a CO, an older guy with white hair, I think he was the instructor for rookie CO's. Anyway, my buddy and I came to shore and as soon as the boat hit the sand on shore this young PUNK CO came running out from their pick-up and jumped into, yes I said into our johnboat, of course he slipped and fell almost breaking his neck in the process. I looked at the oldtimer standing up on the bank and he was just shaking his head. I asked the PUNK for his badge # and told him I was going to complain to my uncle about him, I told him my uncle was Joe Alexander, the head of the DNR at the time. His face turned white, and the oldtimer started laughing, of course Iwas BSing.

Ole

I'm related to a CO. Some of the stories he tells me (which I won't repeat here to protect the really stupid) about some of the things he catches people doing, along with their reasoning for doing them, are way more hilarious than anything I've read in this thread.

I wish I could tell ya more.

Oh please Joe! Those are the best stories. Change the names to protect the idiots and spill em. Everybody is dying to hear the stupid criminal stories! Its like the fisherman version of the show COPS!

Scifisher

This, I guess, would fall more along the lines of interesting than funny. I was ice-fishing on Rush Lake, had to be at least 20 years ago, and I was in a house and using a flasher unit. The CO for that area, Marty Book (who is still there I think), knocks and comes in. Asks hows it going, checks my license, and my fish.

He then looks at the flasher unit, which at the time was pretty new technology. He then asks how it works. I show him how this is the bottom here and this is my lure here. A fish line then shows up and I tell him watch me catch this one. I then proceed to pull up a nice crappie. He whistles and then says "wow!" And then he gets a look on his face like he is thinking, "what is this stuff gonna do to the fishery?"

Anyway he thanks me. And is on his way. And I've had good run-ins with him several times since (except the time he blew in full throttle into my fishing hole on the Rum and wrecked the fishing; but that's another story.)

mm

The only body of water I have been checked for a Licence (and for that matter, almost get checked every time I go..) Is the Mississippi when I am bank fishing.

I had a CO actually beach his boat and check my licence; when I am the only one fishing on a remote section of the river backwaters.

I've forgoten my lisence there a few times, and had a CO come over me, just to chat, and never even check my licence.

I guess the only time I've ever been scolded/kicked out was because someone called the cops on me on Tanners lake once; I guess I looked "suspicious" and kept them up all night by turning a itty bitty flashlight on every 10 mins. Argh. The officer also stated that normally she wouldn't have kicked me out if some dumbwad in the trailer court wouldn't have called.

That's a good one Tom! I've always worried about situations like that grin.gif

A few years ago my wife and I took out Mom for a day of fishing on the opener, also the same weekend as "Take a Mom Fishing weekend" for Mother's Day.

Mom catches her first fish, a nice northern pike. We release the fish after some photos. Moments later 2 CO's buzz up in a boat.

Warden #1 I am very familiar with, he's checked me several times, year round. Warden #2 is about retirement time and he's driving the boat.

Before he could even ask my wife and I for licenses I handed them to him. He looks at Mom and asks "Where's your license, Ma'am?"

Mom says "I don't need one today".

CO #1 is obviously troubled by this statement and asks why.

Before Mom explained, I told the CO it was Take a Mom Fishing weekend, no license is required for her.

CO #1 doesn't believe me. I said check the regs. He pulls out his CO Manual and we waited.....and waited.....drifting along into the shallows....

I was getting erked and I made a smart comment "Don't you know the regulations?" At that point he read the whole darn paragraph on how mother's can fish for free that weekend.

Now he's ticked. He's on my boat, checking livewells, lifejackets, fire estinguisher and the throwable device. He insisted I had a fish in the well, which I didn't, because he saw Mom catch one and we released it.

He grabs the throwable and squeezes it hard and claims that it has a hole in (in the canvas shell) it and a person wasn't going to float for 5 minutes with it.

I said "the throwable didn't have anything wrong with it 2 weeks ago when you check me crappie fishing. I haven't used the boat since." He said buy a new one and they left. CO #2 didn't even say a word the entire time.

I did buy a new one just in case. smile.gif

All I know is that there are folks out there who wouldn't fish if they couldn't drink. I'm not saying that applies to anyone here. I have no idea. But we all know people like that. I think its sad.

mm

Guess I have a story too... A few years ago during rifle season I came upon a dead bald eagle. In good shape, no sign of blood or foul play. Well, I knew enough to leave it alone, when I got back to camp I called the warden, (no answer, of course. Busy time of year) I found a sherriff in town that night and he managed to get the warden on the radio and relate the story, the warden said they would like it for research, could I bag it and bring it to camp where he could pick it up the next day? So I did that, but the warden doesn't show. So this eagle is sitting in a bag beside the tent the next day, and the warden pulls up. One of my buddies is out by the vehicles and right away starts with some crack about making eagle stew, and the warden answers back with his own line about loon pie for desert, just joking back of course. He came to attention but quick when he sees me pull this bald eagle out of the bag, I thought he was gonna go for his cuffs on the spot. Turns out it was the wrong warden! I had some quick explaining to do, but once he straightened it out via radio he was a good sport about it.

I usedta to drinks a bit, ya!
I was looking thru only one eye when I heard the zipper go on the ice house door. I yell out... "hey there". Yep, it was Mr. DNR.

"You ok?" he askes me, a couple of times in a row... "You look kinda rough", he says.

I expalin that I had 1/2 a quart bottle of Rootbeer Schnaps and a pint of Winsor before I fell asleep... still looking at him thru only one eye.

He asks, "think your face is going to be all right then?".

I tell him... "yea I think it'll thaw out ok", feeling for it, "seems I fell asleep here on the floor of the ice house".

The warden asked if I had plans to go home that night and I told him I was there for the duration. He bid me fairwell and was on his way.
I started seeing with both eyes a few minutes later... but, it was a good hour till my face quit being numb and I got the feeling back.
I was thankfull he had stopped by!
I stopped drinking some 13 years ago smile.gif
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family