• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Searches

EBass

I think it'd be reasonable to assume that a boat (especially if equipped for fishing with maybe a trolling motor or other equipment) on a lake with a few kids and a dad in it did put a line in the water at some point in time that day. If you're pleasure cruising or floating on the water, the CO can stop by to check your boat registration. If fishing rods are in sight as he's next to you, what's unreasonable to check to see if you have any fish....

Using your "reasonable search" explanations, Scifisher, maybe the kids and dad are on the water in a spot that many fish were caught the day before...? That could happen...

Your "reasonable" search theory is a bit unrealistic, IMO. Your first example actually observes boats pulling in fish; that's a good example of a reasonable search. Your second example, concering the "probability" of overfishing is where you confuse me with your stance on this issue.

The "probability" that you have fish in your boat, when on land at the landing, (maybe the CO assumed you pulled your boat out when in fact you're putting it in) is just as great as the "probability" you have fish in the livewell out on the water, while fishing in a known "good spot".

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 10-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 10-09-2003).]

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scifisher

• mistermom

• huskminn

• Giant_Jackpot

Relativistic? What language did that come from?
----------------------------------------------
Personally, I'm all for the searches (and I'm sure you don't care, but I don't care about your opinions, either grin.gif)...as stated by many before..."if you've got nothing to hide, then there's nothing to find".

----------------------------------------------

Fishing is a privilige...not your right. Just like driving a car is a privilige, and not your right...and remember to "buckle up while fishing" grin.gif

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 10-09-2003).]

Scifisher....unless you have Indian fishing priviliges, how does one "overfish" MilleLac? In the last three years I have had the occasion to fish that lake on 5 different trips of multiple days and I was able to catch precisely four "keeper" fish. You need to get a good solid grasp on reality here.
This particular thread began as somewhat informative but justifications for something a few of don't care for are getting way out on line. It's the law! They can search...like it or not. If it upsets you, take some time off from fishing and contact your representative to the stated and work to get the LAW rescinded. And then go back to fishing.
------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 10-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 10-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 10-09-2003).]

I am just trying to make the point that COs are so overworked that they have to violate the constitution in order to do their jobs. Yeah, I may have nothing to hide and yeah, I really don't care if a CO comes and searches my boat, they are not going to find anything to ticket me for because basically I am a good law abiding citizen. As an ideologue, I must state that I think it IS wrong. I think we can find a better way to do this rather then taking this easy path. Sometimes doing the right thing is hard and it is tempting to pick an unsavory option because of an unwillingness to sacrifice. I will say again. People died for these rights. How much are they worth to you? We WOULD find a better way to do this IF we stuck to our guns and drew the line in the sand. This is America and that is what Americans do.

Scifisher

This boils down to common sense. You purchase a fishing/hunting license there are limits and rules to follow and somebody must enforce the rules. You have a drivers license, you get behind the wheel of a vehicle and follow certain rules in which somebody enforces. Simple as that. I have been checked plenty of times this year, not for checking my livewell, but for proper amount of flotation devices, a throwable device, fire extinguishers ect ect ect. It's part of their job, just like everyone else has specific duties pertaining to his or here job. To me it all boils down to common sense, which is part of the problem in today's world. That's just my opinion from a simple man. I think this thread should get the lock.

All right, I’m going to need a little help on this. I don’t remember all the facts, only the general story. I remember quite a few years ago there was an incident where a CO had a vendetta against a local Cop. The CO was harassing this Cop by pulling him over and checking him constantly and eventually was accused of, and found guilty of, harassment. The CO had the authority, like today, to pull anyone over at any time and break down his or her vehicle. Now we’re all reasonable people here and we can all agree that the CO was clearly abusing his authority and this is wrong. My opinion on this whole subject is that I don’t like the fact that some CO can pull me over without any probable cause, break down my truck and issue me a citation for non-game related violations, such as fireworks or illegal substance. I don’t think anyone is complaining about a CO checking a livewell while your on the lake or at the ramp, it’s the possibility of the abuse of power that concerns me. I’ll gladly let a CO check my boat whether they have the authority or not. It’s the other situations that I don’t think is right and that I feel are in violation of my 4th amendment rights.

Reality is relativistic. I made the last arugement to prove a point. Your interpretations of the situations I presented are going to be different then mine. A COs interpretations are also going to be different. What makes his definitions of reasonable any different or better then mine or yours? That is why we can't compromise on our rights. As soon as we start to define hard statement like the 4th amendment into reasonable and unreasonable, we find ourselves in a relativistic quagmire of interpretation. We NEED to find a better way.

Scifisher