• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Working & Fishing

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yesterday I had the chance to do something I rarely get to do. I had to go to work, but the job involved fishing.

Dave Hoggard and I did a video shoot with Pete Riola of Fish Fever Outdoor Productions. If you own an outdoor related business I recommend them highly.

Pete sent me a 4 pictures from the day. I'm assuming the video will be available to view here as well at some point.

Fair warning, it is commercial shoot. But it is pretty cool. So be sure to check back to see when it comes up.

Here are the pictures:

hoggie-rickonly-gill-fatfry-icebit.jpg
That's me holding a gill caught using a Fat Fry by Tackle City Panfish Kits and Ice Bits by Bio-Bait.

hoggie-kickncraw-gill.gif This is Dave Hoggard holding a nice gill caught using the Kick-N Craw plastic and Ice Bits Bio Bait.

You can get more info on some of these items at

http://catch-n.com

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-17-2003).]

Rick, nice "gills". I've noticed that the bigger bulls are starting to move shallow again in my area. (Alexandria) I have to pinch myself at times, to be so lucky to work and fish at the same time...

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

Too much fun... I can't wait to use Bio Bait ice fishing. The video will appear in these pages soon. Big gills...got to get em. Hate to say it but Rick you did school us yesterday. We did tie for the multi-specie title though. I think the ice rod was a big advantage. How about you?

Wow, beautifull fish.. Great to see they are still around.. Man, if that doesn't fire you up for ice fishing I dont know what will!

Rick, I saw a "reel" advantage in using the shorter ice rods like you used in this outing.
You had a much better feel for the light bites that were going on that day.
I know you must have popped six fish in a row and I missed at least every other one.

I am going to take my ice rods next time smile.gif

Was the custom rod you were using made at Thorne Brothers? Seems like I heard something like that in your conversation to Pete. I have one of their "Mille Lacs Specials" that Paul Thorne gave to me years ago. I think it would do great for this. It is a longer ice rod, with a fast tip, and plenty of back-bone.

Guys, this trip was not a "fish in the barrel" day... locating these fish was very tough. They were scattered over the main basin and deep. Good electronics was key. We used a Marcum flasher that was on Richard Smith's boat. The flasher did a fine job in displaying fish and the tiny ice lures at the 20+ foot depths. I noticed many times that Richard could predict his bite as he watched the fish "follow-up" to hit his lures. Richard also had an older Impulse 4040 LCD Graph on board. That graph was printing excellent bottom contours and aided us in locating the humps & bumps where the deep fish were relating to structure.
Most of the bigger fish were in 22 to 26 feet. Bigger jigs did not work till we located the bigger fish. Most all of our luck was on light line and ice lures. Once we did locate the brutes, I switched over to the Baby Kick-N Craw and Ice Bits Larva Bio-Bait. I found only the largest of the gills would take it... so, I did not catch as many fish... but those I caught were just huge!

I too am very impressed with Pete and FishFever. Pete did a great job in his direction and filming. He is very easy and fun to work with (also a darn good hook).
We shot footage last week of feeding the fish Bio-Bait in the fish tank at the Owatonna Cabela's Retail Store. That shoot went well also. I expect we'll see some of those shots in Pete's video productions also.
The highlight of the day was seeing the fish go for the Baby Kick-N Graw in the tank. Seeing it perform so well in the Cabela's tank gave me the confidence to use that lure for the on the open water shoot. It paid off with the biggest catch of the day!
Catch-n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 09-18-2003).]

That sounds like a fun day at work. My work consists of studies and football practice right now. Once hard water hits then I can start with the "real" work. wink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt

Man, you guys got it made! smile.gif Fishing and work together? I could only wish....Someday though. Nice gills! I'm not a big plastics guy, but looking at the Catch'n Tackle web site, if I used plastics, and I might start, they would come from Dave. Nice design and product.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Can I act like a kid? Me too...me too...how about a river smallie video??? Okay Okay nice fish grin.gif Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes