• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Started Native Aquariums: Assistance Request...

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All....

Update: 10-13-2003....

Both the 55 gallon and the 30 gallon are now stocked with as many fish as I feel "safe" with until the LARGE tank is ready....

55 gallon....
(2) Walleyes
(3) Crappies
(1) Bullhead

30 gallon....
(2) Largemouth Bass
(2) Bluegills
(1) Bullhead

Everyone is doing just fine. The Walleyes and Crappies (as well as the Bullheads) gobble up the small minnows without any reservations. The Bass too, but but only as a "treat" once a week. They, as well as the Bluegills, have a diet of bloodworms and beef heart. They don't seem to be as picky as the Craps and walleyes. I've tried waxworms without success on either tank. Also tried pellet food. No luck. Maybe after a small fasting period they may be more reseptive to other flavors.

Water chemistry is very stable on both tanks. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH all seem to be within tolerable levels for the fish. I've used live plants in both tanks and they are doing GREAT!! I've even had to start pruning them back. As long as it's real wet, I guess I have a green thumb after all. grin.gif I may need to add an algea eater to each tank. Not a big problem yet, but it may "grow" into one. Can anyone recommend a fish that would fit the bill and either be native or appear like it is? Something other than a plecostomis. The tend to produce more waste than the amount of algea that they eat.

Gotts run. The dogs are saying it's time to hit the fields....

More to come. Stay tuned....

M-H (aka: Dan)

• 2 weeks later...

Little update...
My kids wanted to bring home one of the river clams/mussels that we were using for cut-bait on the Missy. We did, and it's been a great move!

I have a substrate of washed play-sand and pea-gravel with larger fist-sized and smaller rocks for structure. I have been a little lax with my water changes and the tank had gotten...well...pretty nasty.

After 3 weeks of the Mighty Mollusk of the Missy being in there - the substrate is clean. I mean REALLY clean. There is still some debris in the corners where it can't reach, but the rest of the sand is free of decaying crud and fish poop.

The cats are finally acclimated and swim around a lot. Dang - those are beautiful and graceful fish.

Rob

Hi Rob...

River mussels, eh? Sounds like an idea... Although an invasive species, the Zebra mussels seem to be cleaning up their waters. Erie I think it was (?) Anyway, I may look into that a bit closer. Where would I get such a critter? Would I have to collect them myself?

My tanks are going pretty much as expected. The fish behave almost as if they were in "the wild". The walleyes and crappies get very active during the low light hours and stay pretty much concealed during the day. The bluegills seem to be active all the time, except when the night light comes on. Then they hover in the weeds. The bass are always prowling in the shadows waitng for the minnows from heaven. Then they turn into rockets.

Cats.... Hmmmmmmm....... Sounds like they're fun to watch. Maybe I should sell the 125 and go HUGE for the final tank and include a couple. I need a bit of a "constant activity creature" to round out the collection.

Dan

I collect Mussel shells and there are certain laws that you might want to know about.....

No live mussels may be collected in Minnesota. If you pick up a live mussel, return it to the water immediately, being careful to place its foot end in the stream or lake bottom so about two-thirds of the shell is buried. Currently, with a fishing license, a person may posses up to 24 whole or 48 half shells of dead mussels. However, it is illegal to collect state listed species. Since many common species look like listed species, and even experts can confuse them, it is best to leave mussels where you find them.

Oh my...I better read my regs. Thanks for the heads-up. I would never want to advocate breaking the law.
Thanks
Rob

• 2 months later...

Hey moose-hunter hows your tank going?
Im thinking about starting up a 55 gallon one. Im wondering though, were did you get your little walleyes and crappies from?
I can get some little bullheads and sunfish from this creek were I get my creek chubs at, but I have yet to find any little walleyes.
I also saw that link on one of the previous posts, but paying $10 for a fish that maybe I could trap or get cheaper somewere else makes more sence in my mind.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

If you do not have a child under 16 in the house (and present when you transport the 'gamefish') it cannot be legally transported or kept in a home aquarium.

That's why buying one may be the ticket (or lack therof wink.gif ).

There are less than 10 licensed dealers of native fish in the state. One is in Buffalo - Critter Country. Save your reciepts from your fish in case you ever have the law over. The gamefish also count towards your household's possession limit.

Man, I love watching the channel cats. The big one (12" or so) has become comfortable enough to eat live crappie minnows during daylight - but the little one (10") will only eat carrion at night. The rockbass will eat from my fingertips. They will eat carrion, too as long as it's on the fall - but I don't like a lot of that sitting in the tank overnight. Whe we had Asian ladybugs me & the kids tossed hundreds of them in there (and then de-parasited the water) and had a blast. The positive pest control felt good, too wink.gif

Rob

Rob