• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ranger boats, worth the $$$$?

setterguy

Hey guys, just in the beginning stages of upgrading the boat. I have decided that this time is going to be the last time (for a while). Just trying to get opinions on Ranger boats, specifically the 619dvs. Is it really that much better than a comparable size lund? The price between the two is about 7-9k. Just looking to hear some feedback. Thanks in advance.

Rangers are good boats. 25% better I don't think so. Take the money and take the little lady on a trip. Much higher return down the road!!

Rangers are nice, but you can only use them in about 5 lakes in the state and not look like a clown! A 200 opti on a typical 600 acre MN pond is not a real practical way to go. They are very nice though, but you really limit your fishing opportunities.

Setterguy,
I've owned three Ranger's (fisherman models), three Skeeter's (135D - 1850DV - 1775t), one Yarcraft (1785t) and two Alumacrafts. The Ranger holds it's value better than other boat that I have owned and the qualtiy of the boat is exceptional. As far as ride, the Skeeter was top's. My only problem with Skeeter was the livewells, when full would leak and that was true of all three boats. I have a Ranger fisherman (680c) now and wouldn't trade it for any other boat. The new Ranger's are a heavy boat so max out the HP or your hole-shot will be sad.

You might say I have a bias towards glass boats mostly because of the performance of the hull. Also, a polyflake hull will always look nicer to me than a painted aluminum hull!! :-) Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes

This is my first year running a Ranger and I am sold. The Warranty is excellent. I have yet to be charged for anything. When they say bumper to bumper they mean it.

I agree with Nav, you want to max out the horsepower. They are heavy boats.

I use mine on many small lakes in the Midwest, even some of my favorite little bluegill lakes. If I look like a clown, well that is fine. Atleast I look like a clown in a nice boat.

Yes, they are worth the money. Every penny of it.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Having owned both aluminum and glass boats, I'll throw in my opinions. Lund makes a great boat as does Ranger and most of the companies out there today. I'm not sure about the price difference in a comparable Lund 1900 Pro V with a 200 hp and a 619, thought it was less than 7-9k. The Ranger will give you much more storage and every compartment is dry. Lund has a lot of compartments, but they are small (or at least the lids are). I switched from a "tin" boat to 619 a couple of years ago and could put all of my tackle bags, anchor, rainsuits, etc. below deck and have nothing in the way while fishing. I now have a 620 with a 225 on the back and as my wife tells me, we will own only glass boats. She feels so much safer in the Rangers on rough water then she ever did in any aluminum boat we have owned or fished out of.

I also have to take issue with bigeyes' comment on using them in only about 5 lakes without looking like a clown. I know this was tongue in cheek, but I fish a huge variety of lakes both big and small, and have never had a problem launching or feeling out of place. Yeah, there are times that I can't hit the gas and zoom around, but if speed was my only issue for owning a boat, I wouldn't be on a small lake.

So, setterguy, look closely at the boats out there, ride in a few different ones, decide on what style of boat best fits your needs, and I'm sure you will be happy with your choice.

Dean Thorn

No doubt, my next boat and the one after that...will be fiberglass. Rangers are worth every penny.

There are at least 5 lakes within 10 miles from my house where if you don't have a glass boat on a windy day, you are going to suffer! Trust me and my boat's busted rivets!

I'm jealous that you guys run these boats now, and I think someone else on here is too! tongue.gif

It seems everone prefers glass over aluminum, now, tell my your preferences of Ranger to Warrior, I plan on buying next spring and would like to hear comments on these two boats. I have friends that own Warriors and friends that own Rangers, I've heard their opinions, let me hear yours.

Ole

I too would like to here more about the Warriors, I've only ridden in one and it was a calm day on Bemidji when I did that.

Warrior's new Maverick series has me very interested.

Warriors seem to be a great boat. I can't personally comment on the ride, but those I have talked to love them. Again, I bring up the issue of storage. I've seen many Warriors on the water with big Rubbermaid type containers in them to hold tackle, raingear, etc. Now I carry between 4-5 softsided tackle bags at any given time and they all fit under the deck in one compartment. Maybe I haul too much crap with me, but it is out of the way. The Warriors seem to be a bit narrower then the Rangers, but it may just be my eyes and how their hull is designed.

Scott, glad to hear you love the boat. I knew you would when we talked about it last year.

Dean Thorn

I took a long look at several different fiberglass boats before I decided on Ranger. What turned me off on Warrior was the wood inside it. I prefered the all fiberglass construction in the Ranger.

I know a few warrior tiller owners that like there boat, but I also know two personally that have switched to Ranger from Warrior. It is a big purchase so do your homework, I am glad I did.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I am not so sure.
I had my 620t for sale on this site and walleye central and no hits,no calls.
after i sell this boat i am looking hard at a lund again.

I have a Yar-Craft, and the hull angles on the Warrior and the Yar-craft are only 1.5 degrees apart. These two boats are the driest rides you will find. I have the same complaint as far as storage goes, not the driest. Every boat is going to have it's pro's and con's. The best thing to do is make a list of things you want and compare. If you're looking at Ranger than money isn't that big of an issue. This gives you the luxary to shop around.

Now there are also other items to consider that don't even pertain to the boat. If you plan on fishing tournaments, there are a number of things to look at. The RCL limits you to one of the three Ranger, Chrestliner, Lund. Also there are incentives for the motor purchase. Skeeter will pay up to $1500 for every tournament won in a new Skeeter.

Take your time and RESEARCH.

Good Luck

Opie- You had mentioned to ride in a few different models,do you know of any dealers that will bring you on the water? I have ridden in one Ranger and one Triton, both very nice boats, but at the time I wasn't comparing the two. It is a hard choice to make without being able to test drive! Aslo thanks for the input here, I always know that I will get informed unbiased feedback on this forum and its appreciated.

If you need some 1st hand input on the Rangers I can hook you up with a knowledgable guy. Ive ridden in several 20' boats and the Ranger was overall the smoothest and most fishing friendly. Yes, max out the H.P. They are heavy but handle big water better than any alum. boat Ive been in. [email protected]

Setterguy,

Sorry, been away for a day or so. Not sure if Frankie's Marine in Chisago City will do test rides, but they carry both Lund and Ranger and have close proximity to lakes. If you want to go for a ride in a 620, let me know and we will try to set up a time to go out in mine. I really liked the 619 I had, but wanted to go to a 20' boat and a dual axle trailer (the 619 was on a single axle). Also wanted to go to the new Bombardier/Evinrude motor.

Dean Thorn

I had a 2002 Lund Explorer 1675 very nice boat and good ride with that said I decided to move to primarily Bass fishing and decided to get a Ranger 520 VX. Riding in it is by far the best riding boat I have ever been in handles big water very well and if I ever go back to Walleye fishing I will definitely go with a Ranger 620. In the end I would say it comes down to preference and $$$$ I had a really nice rigged boat in my Lund and have a nice boat in the Ranger but the Ranger did cost twice as much. Having owned both boats I agree with others that you should go with what you prefer. I have been in fiberglass boats other then Rangers and the Ranger is noticeably smoother. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Setterguy,
Frankies is having a demo day sept 11&12 during their tourney where you can test drive their boats. I think they are going to have lund and ranger, also the 620dvs. come on out and take one for a spin. Call them for the exact location but I believe it is at rosehill resort on chisago.

------------------
****riverdancer****