• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need new boat advise

cartfan

I plan on getting a new boat soon and have a few questions. 1. what is the best time of year to buy. 2. How much can I expect a dealer to go down in price. 3. I'm looking at either a Lund 1700 Fisherman or a Crestliner 1700 Superhawk. Most advertised packages come with a 115 hp. Is that enough motor for that size boat. Alot of questions, but I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Without a doubt the best time to buy is in the winter...especially if you go used. Try the boat show in Feb.

I couldn't give you a definite answer on the price thing. I would assume prices will vary by dealership.

As far as the 115 HP motor, I would personally get the biggest avail motor. But that is me (I fish a lot of big waters). A 115 will still put you in the 35 MPH range.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Right now through the boat shows is a time time to buy - especially an '03. If you buy right now, you can still get a month or so on the water.

Here's what I've learned. Make a list of the specifics you want on your boat - outboard make, size, model (four stroke or EFI, etc), electric trolling motor, brand and weight of trailer, depth finder, etc. Fax, email or call at least three dealers and start negotiating.

Most everyone suggests the 80% rule (of max horsepower) on outboards. I believe 1700's hp max is 125hp, so a 115 is fine. If it's a 150 maximum, a 115 may be a little shy. Depends on what type of water you're covering. Make sure you get a heavy enought trailer - again the 80% rule applies. For example, if your boat, motor, trailer fully loaded weighs 2200 lbs, a 2400 trailer is too light.

A few things to chew on.

cartfan-
If it helps any my dad has a Alumacraft Trophy 175 w/ 115 Yamaha 4 stroke and the performance is unreal. I thought it was underpowered, but once I drove it I was amazed. It goes 42 mph GPS! It is completely stock too, no modifications to prop, etc...

I think this Trophy 175 is slightly larger than the 2 boats you are looking at too(?).

Go four stroke and you will enjoy it a lot. Dealers are pushing their 03's right now too, time to wheel and deal!

If your looking for a 03 there should be some good deals right now as dealers want to make room for 04 models.As far as motor 80% is a good but(if affordable)max it out

I bought a Lund 1700 Fisherman with a 115 Yahama at the boat show and am more than pleased with the boat and the performance of the motor. I have the stock prop on it and can hit 45MPH (GPS)without too much of a problem. I have fished everything from calm water to big water in 40mph winds with no problems. It didn't come cheap, but I love it!! I sold an Alumacraft Tropy 170 with a 90 Merc. which I had for 10 years. I was happy with that boat, but wouldn't trade my Lund for anything in its class.

I just sold my 1800 fisherman that has a 115 merc 4 stroke and it would do 37 mph GPS without a problem. It is quite a bit heavier than the 1700, so I don't think you'd be underpowered.

Thanks alot for the advise. I was a little concerned that the 115 wouldn't be enough motor, but it sounds like it will be. Also, has anyone tried to put an anchor mate on the 1700 fisherman? It doesnt look like there's enough room. Thanks again.