• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing lingo??

Can someone please explain to me what these are:
1. Rip Rap
2. Transitional lines
3. shoals
4. break lines

I have some idea but would like to know exactly what these terms mean,
Thanks guys!!

I'll answer a couple and leave a couple. smile.gif

Breaklines: a.k.a. drop off. Where there is a rapid or noticable change in depth (i.e. 12 ft-16 ft in a short distance of travel.)

Transition Lines: An area where the bottom content changes from soft bottom to hard bottom or vice versa. (i.e. mud to gravel.)

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 08-10-2003).]

Rip rap, Rocks from smaller softball to basketball sizes all the way up to boulders placed along shorelines, dam faces, ect.

Shoal, Reef or rockpile or a number of these which can pose a hazard to navigation depending on water levels and tides.

Alternate meaning for shoal, a shoal of baitfish, as in a large school.

Shoals and rip-rap are some of the best all-round fishing structure there is....they change very slowly and create holding areas for actively feeding fish. Do not confuse these structures for a sandbar, which is constantly on the change and also another navigation hazard. Transition and breaklines are also fish holding areas, but unlike the other structures mentioned, they will also hold fish in an off, neutral or negative feeding mood. Many times you can mark fish on a break or transition and simply not be able to get them to hit....anything. When looking for feeding fish, I go to the rip-rap studded shorelines or the shoals and rock humps as they do not harbor idle fish.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

I have had a chance to see an Eagle Fishmark 320 in action. I am very impressed with its function for a cost of $200. The Garmin 240 is a nice unit and it is $300. If the gain and grayline is set properly you can see the transition on the grayline or second return of either unit.
Dino

I have a cheap humminbird 200 dx and was wondering if it is possible to detect the transitional lines with this unit. What sonar unit would be good for finding these areas. I have a vexilar fl-18 and can find them in the winter but summer I have no luck with the humminbird piece of crap. What do you recommend for a unit that is not over $500.